Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 01:53 PM   #1
Dolby
AF Newbie

Swapping non tilt for tilt steering column

I love my Xterra, but have come to realize I should have gotten the tilt steering. I am 6' 5 and am becoming increasingly annoyed with bumping my knee into the steering wheel when shifting.

My question is, does anyone know how difficult or even if it's possible to have a tilt option installed?

My left knee would appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks,

Dolby

Last edited by Dolby; 05-14-2004 at 03:53 PM.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I didn't even know the Xterra came with a non-tilt option.

I think this comes down to a common question where people want to retrofit options they didn't buy. Yes, it's possible, but it's going to be much more expensive than if you bought it to start. Usually prohibatively expensive.

I would think your start would be to wonder if you want to screw with an incredibly important part of your vehicle control. If so, then find a junkyard, and a person who is experienced enough to install the new steering. Now how much is that going to cost you? Maybe just buy a piece of foam and some double sided tape to put on the steering collumn.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
P51nerd
AF Newbie

Re: Swapping non tilt for tilt sterring column

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schludwiller
I didn't even know the Xterra came with a non-tilt option.

I think this comes down to a common question where people want to retrofit options they didn't buy. Yes, it's possible, but it's going to be much more expensive than if you bought it to start. Usually prohibatively expensive.

I would think your start would be to wonder if you want to screw with an incredibly important part of your vehicle control. If so, then find a junkyard, and a person who is experienced enough to install the new steering. Now how much is that going to cost you? Maybe just buy a piece of foam and some double sided tape to put on the steering collumn.
I know Im reviving an old poist, but noone is answering mine so here goes...
Yes its possible, Im looking into doing it too on my '04 X and you can get them cheap if u know where to look, BTW, a DEALERSHIP is NOT the place to look the told me it would be a week and $1000 yea right!! Its 4 or so bolts and a column commector and wiring conector... sounds like 1-2Hrs and a $100 tilt column out of a wrecked X to me...
P51nerd is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail