Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 03:58 AM   #1
LindseyRenee
AF Newbie

1998 Chevy Cavalier Theft System Lock

I'm really needing some help or advice with my 1998 Chevy Cavalier. My keys got stolen a few weeks ago and i don't have the money to get a whole new set for the car. The theft system light is on and the car will start and run for about 2 seconds and shuts off. A couple of days ago we went to a junk yard and got a whole new steering colume for the car with keys. We put the new steering column in my car hoping that it would work but the theft light is still on and all it does is the same thing it did before start for about 2 seconds and shut back off. I really need my car for my sons doctor appointments and work. So please someone HELP!!!!
LindseyRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 1998 Chevy Cavalier Theft System Lock

Welcome Aboard!

The security system used on a '98 Cavalier is called Passlock. There is a magnet in the key lock cylinder which rotates past a sensor in the switch mechanism. If a thief forces the lock the key cylinder is not turned, the magnet does not pass the sensor, and the system will disable the engine (fuel injectors) after about two seconds.

If it has not already been done, the ignition cylinder sensor from the new steering column will have to be "learned" by the PCM and security system. It will take about half an hour to perform this.

Make sure the vehicle battery is fully charged. Insert the ignition key and turn it to the RUN position (not START) and monitor the SECUITY warning lamp. The lamp should flash if the security system has not learned the new switch. Keep the ignition switch in the RUN position for a minimum of ten full minutes - The system will be monitoring this length of time, so it cannot be shortened. After ten minutes the SECURITY warning should be off or on fully (not flashing). Without starting the engine, turn the ignition switch off and remove the key.

Re-insert the key and turn the switch to the RUN position again. Monitor the SECURITY light again. Keep it in this position for another ten minute minimum period. Again, turn the ignition OFF and remove the key.

Again, and for the third time, insert the key and turn the switch to the RUN position. Keep it in this position for another ten minute minimum. Again, turn the ignition OFF and remove the key.

This should complete the re-learning of the ignition cylinder and sensor to the security system. If so, the next time the ignition key is inserted the SECURITY warning lamp should turn on briefly, then off (bulb test). This is the normal operation of the system. The engine should start and run normally after that.

Please report results.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
LindseyRenee
AF Newbie

We have tried that a few different times but it seems to not be working. Anymore helpful hints? Thank you btw
LindseyRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

My keys got stolen a few weeks ago and i don't have the money to get a whole new set for the car.

I don't understand this......those are just blank keys......they don't cost much, only around 5-10 bucks....all you had to do was go to any GM dealer with your VIN number, and they could cut a key for you......there was no need for a steering column......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier