Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Daewoo > Nubira
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
java_junkie
AF Newbie

Check Engine/EGR Never Goes Off!! HELP!

I am in need of some serious mechanical help! The check engine light has been going off and on for about three or four years now. Every time I've taken it in, nothing was wrong. This last year, it was the EGV valve, which was cleaned, replaced, then everything you could do to that portion of the car, or anything related, was either fixed, cleaned, or replaced. Sorry I'm not very technical when it comes to cars. I also replaced the cam shaft position sensor (ouch!).

The light still continues to go off and on. I even drove it 75 miles, after my mechanic cleared the computer, and it came back on. I spent over $1500.00 trying to correct this problem, so I could register my car, and had to get a waiver as the problem was never fixed. In Utah, you only get one waiver per car, for the life of that car. And you can't just have a mechanic clear your computer anymore.

Every time the computer is scanned, the generic code for the EGR valve (I believe it is P1404) is the only thing left. And it will not go away. My mechanic has suggested cleaning sensors and other electrical things, which as I understand is a full engine cleaning and is very expensive. If that doesn't work, then I need a new computer.

What I am hoping to get from this forum, is an estimate on labor costs (if anyone knows), and an opinion as to weather I should just replace my car. I love my car, but it is a pain in the a**! I really need help from mechanics, or someone who knows a great deal about cars.

One thing to consider, is that I am a single mother, and have been on disability for the last year due to MS. I don't have a lot of money, so I need a good idea of what may be more cost effective. I have until the end Feb 2010, before my car becomes illegal. Please help!!

Meg
java_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Daewoo > Nubira