Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
toyota_camry
AF Newbie

1991 Camry Problems, HELP!!

Hi,
I just bought a used 1991 Toyota Camry with 200,000 miles today. I never buy used stuff but I need a car by monday and this was the most reliable one I could find (I hope). I have a couple queations.

The problem is that whenever the car is started, or turned on, the running lights, side lights and rear taillights blink rhythmically, almost the way they would when you lock the car and set the alarm, except it does it all the time.

The only time it stops is about 2 minutes after you shut and lock the car. What is this?? Is it a faulty alarm system? Can I just disable the alarm? I don't really need it and the blinking is distracting to me and other drivers. Let me know!

Also, It's an automatic and it shifts a little hard. It stays in gear a little long, and it doesn't "clunk" into gear, but I wouldn't call it 'smooth'. Whats the most likely cause?

Also, is there anything I should be on the lookout for on a Camry this old? Any typical camry problems? Let me know, thanks!

Marty
toyota_camry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
idmetro
AF Regular

Re: 1991 Camry Problems, HELP!!

Marty;

Don't have a clue about the lights. For the trans I'd suggest starting by changing the fluid and filter. Changing from standard to synthetic ATF (I use Mobil 1) made a world of difference in shift performance. Check the trans fluid level carefully my 91 is VERY sensitive to the trans fluid level.
idmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
toyota_camry
AF Newbie

The lights just randomly stopped blinking when I was fiddling around in the wiring. I found the box that was the source of it, some clear box attached separately. I'm assuming it was some ancient alarm system. I'll try changing the tranny fluid, see if that helps, thanks!
toyota_camry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
idmetro
AF Regular

Congratulations on figuring out the light issue. You asked about the weak point(s) for these cars and they have one - it is the coil (located inside the distributor) I would suggest getting a spare distributor from a wrecking yard, verifying it works and carrying it in the trunk along with the tools to change it. If anything is likely to go wrong that will be it, you might notivce it getting hard to start, running erratically, running fine then shutting down and after sitting starting back up or perhaps being affected by damp or rainy weather, If you have these symptons it's likely your coil. Other more minor trouble spots are the wiring at the trunk hinge (wires break affecting tail lights and dash indicator lights) and wires going into the doors controlling the automatic seatbelts and power windows - they too fatigue over time. Other than that these cars are pretty tough!

Good Luck.
idmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
selling-my-car
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by idmetro View Post
Congratulations on figuring out the light issue. You asked about the weak point(s) for these cars and they have one - it is the coil (located inside the distributor) I would suggest getting a spare distributor from a wrecking yard, verifying it works and carrying it in the trunk along with the tools to change it. If anything is likely to go wrong that will be it, you might notivce it getting hard to start, running erratically, running fine then shutting down and after sitting starting back up or perhaps being affected by damp or rainy weather, If you have these symptons it's likely your coil. Other more minor trouble spots are the wiring at the trunk hinge (wires break affecting tail lights and dash indicator lights) and wires going into the doors controlling the automatic seatbelts and power windows - they too fatigue over time. Other than that these cars are pretty tough!

Good Luck.
Do you check the alarm system? May be need to set up.
selling-my-car is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alarm , clutch , electrical , lights , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista