Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:24 AM   #1
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Thumbs up Grand Am Off Topic Thread

Title Explains it all !

Talk about anything Non-Technical in this Thread
Old 12-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Gir-_-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gir-_-
Re: Grand Am Off Topic Thread

eh

i had a post previously but uhhhh nvm lol

basically winterizing the GA tomorrow hopefully, doing a coolant flush (need to check level, inspect for leaks) sometimes the check lvl light comes on but only if I do something with hard Gs turning hehe or speeding up a hill... could just be swishin around to trigger the sensor, fuel filter change(needed, no idea when last was changed), fuel injection cleaning(no idea when last was done) and checking trans fluid level(finally lol) as well tire pressure(its cold)... anything else I should be checking for? PCV Valve is still pretty clean, TB cleaner also came up as an option but last time I did that it cleaned it pretty good....

since it got cold the GA does a little chug then starts, almost wont start if I dont open up the throttle a little bit

Gir-_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to grfnkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir-_-
eh

i had a post previously but uhhhh nvm lol

basically winterizing the GA tomorrow hopefully, doing a coolant flush (need to check level, inspect for leaks) sometimes the check lvl light comes on but only if I do something with hard Gs turning hehe or speeding up a hill... could just be swishin around to trigger the sensor, fuel filter change(needed, no idea when last was changed), fuel injection cleaning(no idea when last was done) and checking trans fluid level(finally lol) as well tire pressure(its cold)... anything else I should be checking for? PCV Valve is still pretty clean, TB cleaner also came up as an option but last time I did that it cleaned it pretty good....

since it got cold the GA does a little chug then starts, almost wont start if I dont open up the throttle a little bit
It sounds like you got most everything covered for the winter check up. The only thing i can think of is Tire tread, Which shouldn't be a problem since i believe you have new tires.... and wiper blades. As stupid as this may sound check them. I had wiper blades break on me in the winter during a snow storm. not fun when it's dangling off the car.

Nothing like a brand new thread to tear up!!!!

grfnkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Gir-_-
AF Enthusiast

yea brand new tires, not even 2k miles on them I think...

wiper blades hmmm... good idea.. I remember last winter they froze into ice and it was just ice on ice heh.... they've been in the sun since, still original factory I think... they're pretty crappy, been meaning to change them out but never gotten around to it....

Isnt there fluid I could use that'd melt frost off of the window w/o it cracking? or I still have to do the heater warmth thru the inside... (this morning was fun seeing thru a small hole in the window speeding to work) and man, id be lost w/o my rear window defrost....

Old 12-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir-_-
yea brand new tires, not even 2k miles on them I think...

wiper blades hmmm... good idea.. I remember last winter they froze into ice and it was just ice on ice heh.... they've been in the sun since, still original factory I think... they're pretty crappy, been meaning to change them out but never gotten around to it....

Isnt there fluid I could use that'd melt frost off of the window w/o it cracking? or I still have to do the heater warmth thru the inside... (this morning was fun seeing thru a small hole in the window speeding to work) and man, id be lost w/o my rear window defrost....
Aren't you glad that you posted this! LOL. You could use the windsheild washer fluid that melts ice. It's a yellow color. Basically it has some anitfreeze in it. I've used that before to clear the windows. I've done the small hole in the window myself a quite a few times, plus I've done it with no rear window defrost as well. I learned last year how to deal without mine being that it would melt off the window and throw sparks all over the back seat. and the next person with my G/a Must be cursing that car out. LOL.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Some GA's just dont like the cold

My SE is worry free, the GT chuggs and sputters for a couple seconds when its real cold.

Since its been cold down your way Gir, I'd get a tester for your anti freeze and make sure you are protected.
Nothing like finding a cracked engine block in the morning

Windshield wipers are very important to me. I change them every 6months more if they are leaving streeks on the glass or squealing or skipping.
Silicone wipers are the best I found seam to scrape bugs well without taring up the edge. Pricey though!

It doesnt hurt to have a can of that window deicer.
Works great for frozen locks and doors that are froze shut
I keep armorall on the seals to keep mine from freezing shut

Looks like the worst of the storm missed me.
We had some freezinf rain and snow yestarday/last night, not enough to play in though
Guess they'll be other snows

Edit:

I just updated the disassembly page with some knob info
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=625047

Last edited by xeroinfinity; 12-01-2006 at 10:41 PM.
xeroinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

My Gt Chugged as well when it was cold out.... If it was around 50-60 degrees out that's when the car ran the best. Otherwise.... NOPE! My 88 didn't mind the colder weather it just idled high until it would warm up. that car only ran bad when sitting in traffic, or on rainy days.

The storm blew right by us yesterday. The only thing was we were under a Tornado Watch last night which is pretty rare for us. The winds got pretty bad by getting upto 50+ mph and some rain Otherwise, nothing other then that!

Old 12-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #8
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

50mph

It blew pretty hard a couple days here.
It was like spring weather, but it was 30-40deg outside

I spent alot of this week outside, it sucked ! If I wasnt sick before I sure will be now
Old 12-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

Yeah the wind was crazy here... but could have been worse. It's really cold here now though... I'm not used to this at all!

I'm having one of those "days" at work today were i don't feel like working... ( well I never really do ) but i can't find anything to do. I finished what i had to do... and now i'm up to nothing. I've been on and off of the interent with nothing.... and I've must have checked my Myspace and e-mail about 100 times with nothing new there. It's very frustrating! Then i was talking to my managers and basically they were saying for me to look around for new "oppurtunities" not that i'm getting laid off or anything just for me to move on cuz they are,.... I dunno know.. a lot running through my mind. I guess I won't be sleeping tonight! LOL

later guys, stay warm if need be!

Old 12-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Its been cold as hell today !
High of 20

One of those days .........
Sometimes trying to look busy is hard business

At least they didnt ask you to go sweep the parking lot clean
If you need a new job, better pick up a secound or third language first.
I know several people who are looking for work, and from what I hear it sucks.
Though it is easier to find work when you already have a job. For some reason employers like that.

Good Hunting
Old 12-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroinfinity
Its been cold as hell today !
High of 20

One of those days .........
Sometimes trying to look busy is hard business

At least they didnt ask you to go sweep the parking lot clean
If you need a new job, better pick up a secound or third language first.
I know several people who are looking for work, and from what I hear it sucks.
Though it is easier to find work when you already have a job. For some reason employers like that.

Good Hunting
It's quite Nipply here today... Brrrrr. My car had "ICE POSSIBLE" on the display, so it was rather cold.... but nice thing for remote start! LOL

Well looking busy is very hard to do somedays. Today is a nother prime example of that. Our phone lines were down... so no incoming calls... so no business could be conducted! I swear cleaning the parking lot sounds like a treat somedays! The other day i took christmas lights and put them all over a tree by the main entrance since i had nothing better to do. Oh well though. I'm getting paid for it regardless! I think it's time for an afternoon nap due to boredum!!

later guys....

Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #12
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

At 5am wed it was 10deg

..... I hate the cold

I dont even have to look busy , but I do try
To damn cold to work out side thats for sure.

When I said sweep the lot I ment with a push broom and dust pan. Not those fancy machines that can sweep the lots.

Got these in an email the other day,
try explaining these to your insurance agent.

hang in there

Swimming

Last edited by xeroinfinity; 12-07-2006 at 08:56 AM.
xeroinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:57 AM   #13
Gir-_-
AF Enthusiast

grrr, it did it again...

This time I havent even touched anything in the engine bay heh I SWEAR! lol

Me and a friend went to some place to check somethin out, came back to the GA and tried to start it, pushed the pedal down as I normally do to 'ensure' it will start... it goes .. *click* and nada, didnt even chug... radio reset nothing else happened, opened up the hood looked around .. .. waited prob about 3mins .. gave it another try... some chug but not enough to start... waited prob 6 more mins... .. opened the throttle a little more than normal and it started go figure, was running fine.. doing its normal weird idle.. (tensioner moves alot, sounds like it wants to die) ... past 2 mornings ive noticed an awkward warm idle... it feels/sounds like there is some sorta resistance in the engine on moving parts .. coolant level is way low, and def needs to be flushed looks nasty... pulled out the dip stick to check oil level, its full. didnt see any other misc fluids.. hopeing for coolant to maybe show....

I think when I get it serviced this saturday, going to do things orderly...

Coolant removed/flushed/replaced, then change oil and inspect for coolant... new fuel filter + fuel injection cleaned

anything else I should be looking for?

its not cold or warm starts that might be the issue, just happens

as for idle, it has resistance somewhere thats making it jump around... I feel it in the morning after temp is up to 200F and im at red light... just not running smooth.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #14
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Hey Gir, sounds like your battery was about dead.
If its newr, check you cables and make sure they are clean and tight

I know with my 180 deg thermostats I've had to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to keep it hot enough to keep heat blowing, so I can stay warm.

Almost Friday
Old 12-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #15
Gir-_-
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroinfinity
Hey Gir, sounds like your battery was about dead.
If its newr, check you cables and make sure they are clean and tight

I know with my 180 deg thermostats I've had to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to keep it hot enough to keep heat blowing, so I can stay warm.

Almost Friday
opcorn: when are batteries normally replaced???

I do run the battery alot though w/ no engine (radio when cleaning inside, and/or fixing something like my effin windows grrr), wouldnt be surprised if its been caught up to....

if I do replace battery, what unhooks first? Black or Red or does it matter... hmmm what about when connecting the NEW battery what hooks up first so I dont screw up something... er or myself touching a metal ground inside thurr Ive seen it done lol sparks went everywhere!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
grandam , offtopic , overflo , topic , weirdly
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM