Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '91 - '96
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #16
jetta4j
AF Newbie

Re: Jetta Check Engine Light Keeps coming back on

jetta4j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #17
jetta4j
AF Newbie

2111 is engine speed sensor
jetta4j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #18
ejlitch
AF Newbie

hello i have 94 jetta gl 5 speed i have recently did a tune up and had a lil trouble with the cap and rotor but got it figured out and got the car to fire up once i had the wires right but after i have been problems with the car it has the power when it starts.. its not wantting to start and its got a high idle randomly but i pulled the codes can any one tell me what they mean or point me in the right place too find them iv googled the shit out of it and cant find it

4411- injector #1

2312- coolant temp sensor

2113- hall switch (i found this one on here [i suspect thats my starting problem])

2324- mass air flow

2111- no speed (found on here)

shortly after posting i found my answers here :

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...h/vw_blink.pdf

Last edited by ejlitch; 04-08-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: found it my answer
ejlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #19
wishIknewitall
AF Newbie

Talking Re: Jetta Check Engine Light Keeps coming back on

Hello all This is Willis and I hope what I share today with you all will shed some light onto this troublesome problem! I my self have a 1996 Jetta glx and from the day I bought it used I have had similar problems of this very nature. The mechanic I bought it from gave me a bunch of excuses as to what the problem was right down to telling me the reason the water temp light was blinking, was cause he did not have German antifreeze in cooling system! Now being a mechanic myself I saw this cloud of smoke he was trying to blow up my rear end right away! What he did not know was I knew what the real problem was!

In 95 they discontinued the actual speedo cable and switched to a vss or also known as a vehicle speed sensor this little item sends info to the pcm by wire instead of a cable and by doing so the pcm adjust the fuel needs of the motor to be as efficient as possible, and we all get a cool digital display that has yet injected more electronics into the cars we love, you more than likely have a check engine light on, and your speedo or tach are dead, water temp light flashing , hi beam indicator coming on when switched to low beams od when dimmer is adjusted ect!!! First thing i did was slap a code reader on it and retrieved the p0501 code for faulty speed sensor and was happy as a clam till I had shelled out the clams on three speed sensors all which did not fix problem. Needless to say I was pissed off and out of frustration I hit the dash with my fist and boom my speedp started working again but soon just to reoccur, this is when I knew I had a serious problem! I started to mull over all the problems and possible solutions, I finally found the source!

Well I can tell you the likely culprit is not the vss or the wiring, unless you installed aftermarket stereo and hacked you harness, I warn all who do not yield to this practice ( DO NOT CUT YOUR FACTORY HARNESS TO INSTALL AFTERMARKET STEREO AND DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR FACTORY DECK !)

Be forewarned the vehicle security system runs thru the stereo ! Fastest way to jack up your vw is to hack up factory harness spen 50 bucks and buy the adapter harness, next take car to dealer and have them disable security functions running thru stereo! OK enough of my rant on that, Back to the matter at hand!

If you are handy and feel confident to wield a soldering iron 95% of the time this will fix your problem. Your problems are all stemming from your gauge cluster and what is known as a cold joint or a cold weld. I happen to know this due to the fact I worked at 3m as a teenager making computer cables and I worked a station called the re-flow table. All the cables that failed quality inspection due to high resistance were sent back to my station for an inspection of the solder joints 95% of the time a failed cable had a cold joint thus causing intermittent or no connectivity! well being that I learned to spot this condition with my naked eye I soon learned that a lot of car problems stemmed from this problem.

Ok so what you all have been waiting for well almost, first thing do your self a favor and look up images of cold joint or cold welds cold weld solder joints , ect. Learn how to identify these conditions, this will aid you greatly in solving many electrical problems in the future! Ok the nuts n bolts of the problem stems from gauge cluster and the two main plug connections on cluster. if you have the gauge package out of the car remove the torx screws on the case and expose the circuit board so you can see the soldered connections , there are two sides of this board that you need to view. Be very careful when handling this board as there are very delicate parts that are easily broken if you don't take extreme caution while examining this board!

Look for the black and red 28 pin connectors on this board, now once you have located them flip the board over and look at opposite side of board where they are soldered on! look to see if you can identify any cold welds on either of these plugs! you may need a bright light and a magnifying glass to notice these bad solder joints, but trust me your more than likely going to have several to fix. this is a very common problem that effects not just Volkswagen's! Ok now that you have been examining the plug area time to focus on a few other areas, notice the speedo and tach locations now flip board over and find the two small torx screws and the four solder joint that make a 1 inch box if you were to draw a line dot to dot inspect these solder joints for fractures and cold welds too. I tend to re-solder all there joints to be certain they are all in good condition this has solved a whole gamut of electrical problems stemming from these cold welds! Do not be take by mechanics who just throw parts at your car diagnosis is key. You may be tempted to swap out a unit from wreaking yard but more than likely you will just swap out on problem for another! I hope this help you all as this had been a frustrating thing to deal with and to know most all if not all can be resolved as a direct result of this repair!

Last edited by wishIknewitall; 05-16-2015 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling errors and added comntent
wishIknewitall is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '91 - '96