Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '91 - '96
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:56 AM   #1
plymouth117
AF Newbie

Question 93 Jetta/Vento (UK) overheating

From the UK - I have a 93 (L Reg) Vento 1.8 CL petrol Manual transmission (90k gen) - that is overheating and I am not sure why.

When I start the car the heat dial stays at 0 but after five minutes the needles shoots right up to the final notch and the warning light comes on. When I feel the engine it seems no hotter than usual. The coolant and oil are new / checked regularly. I am positive its not a faulty gauge.

The car recently went in for MOT & subsequent brake work and when completed the mechanic mentioned that the heat shield needed replacing and/or botching back on. The loose heatshield has been an ongoing problem for the last 3 years and has never caused the car to overheat which to me suggests it is something else. I have read other forums who said that the heat shiled is actually pretty pointless and to just rip it off.

Any ideas what it could be and possible cost estimates?

Thanks
Kev - Stockport UK
plymouth117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Doug Tatham
AF Enthusiast

Re: 93 Jetta/Vento (UK) overheating

Check the radiator fan. See if it turns on when it heats up. If the fan doesn't come on when the gage jumps up, then it's bad (or has blown it's fuse). If the fan is on, then you must not be circulating coolant. This could be a bad water pump or you could have a bubble in your system and the thermostat isn't opening. Try burping the system. With the engine cooled remove the reservoir cap and squeeze the upper radiator hose a few times and try to force out any bubbles.
Doug Tatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
ustwats
AF Newbie

Hi there, I have a Vento too and I also have a overheating issue with the car.

I realised that my fan was no longer working and therefor I changed the Thermostat valve and then changed the Radiator Switch. The Fan worked after that and the car stayed cool. Then 2 days later same issues occurred and the fan stopped working again. I had to get home that day so i connected the the fan directly the power supply and got i managed to get home safely.

I don't know what the problem might be and i don't really want to buy another Radiator switch. I checked the Fuse box and its seems to be ok. I dunno if i should check wire-ring.

Any help would be much appreciated.
ustwats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
germanmike
AF Newbie

hey did u put a new water pump and thermostat and if it still doing that take ur head off and see if u have a crack in it i did in mine 96 gl
germanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
ustwats
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanmike View Post
hey did u put a new water pump and thermostat and if it still doing that take ur head off and see if u have a crack in it i did in mine 96 gl
Yeah it was the Thermostat at the end of the day. Got a new one, but heads up people make sure the water level is filled to the top. If water levels are down then the thermostat doesn't kick in and the water doesn't get cooled. HEAD GASKET BLOWS
ustwats is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '91 - '96