Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
amanda60302
AF Newbie

Crazy Security System/Radio Issue 99 Sl1???

Okay so here is the basics of what happened it is a mess and I dont know where to start to figure it out!!

I have a 99 Saturn SL1 I took it to the store about a month or so ago and left it running while i ran inside. When i came back out the car had died and when I tried to start it nothing happened, no dash lights or indicators, no click, no attempt at turning , nothing not even the smallest noise! We towed it home and my husband who is usually able to fix most anything I break Could not figure out what the problem was. He tried taking out the battery and letting the car sit and the other various "reset" instructions he found online...It basically amounted to him determining it was an issue with the security system. I can start my car now but only by holding the Unlock button down while turning the ignition if I press the unlock button while the car is running it beeps and locks itself right back. We have checked behind the door pannel and the lock/unlock mechanisms are rocking fine and are not worn out?? Now also at the very same time my radio seemed to burn out...I went and purchased a new stock plug n play radio for my vehicle. We brought it home and installed it well it has power but the display will not light up and all i am recieving is static...Except when I start the vehicle and the radio is on...When I hit the unlock button while the radio is plugged in and turned on the display lights up and i get a flicker of sound then as soon as it is there it is gone again..

PLEASE SOMEBODY, ANYBODY HELP!!!!! I can deal with hitting the unlock button to start my car but I dont think I will make it another day in a silent car!!! I have started singing to myself to keep me occupied lol and trust me it is not pretty at all!!!!!!!!!

Thanks So Much
Amanda
amanda60302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Ruley73
AF Enthusiast

Re: Crazy Security System/Radio Issue 99 Sl1???

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda60302 View Post
Okay so here is the basics of what happened it is a mess and I dont know where to start to figure it out!!

I have a 99 Saturn SL1 I took it to the store about a month or so ago and left it running while i ran inside. When i came back out the car had died and when I tried to start it nothing happened, no dash lights or indicators, no click, no attempt at turning , nothing not even the smallest noise! We towed it home and my husband who is usually able to fix most anything I break Could not figure out what the problem was. He tried taking out the battery and letting the car sit and the other various "reset" instructions he found online...It basically amounted to him determining it was an issue with the security system. I can start my car now but only by holding the Unlock button down while turning the ignition if I press the unlock button while the car is running it beeps and locks itself right back. We have checked behind the door pannel and the lock/unlock mechanisms are rocking fine and are not worn out?? Now also at the very same time my radio seemed to burn out...I went and purchased a new stock plug n play radio for my vehicle. We brought it home and installed it well it has power but the display will not light up and all i am recieving is static...Except when I start the vehicle and the radio is on...When I hit the unlock button while the radio is plugged in and turned on the display lights up and i get a flicker of sound then as soon as it is there it is gone again..

PLEASE SOMEBODY, ANYBODY HELP!!!!! I can deal with hitting the unlock button to start my car but I dont think I will make it another day in a silent car!!! I have started singing to myself to keep me occupied lol and trust me it is not pretty at all!!!!!!!!!

Thanks So Much
Amanda
Check the CHIME, IGN1 and, BODY fuses in the in-cabin fuse block located in front of the console. I would also take apart your keyfob and make sure the buttons are not sticking. Clean up the buttons and contact pads with some rubbing alcohol then put it back together. A new pair of batteries might not hurt either. Then resynchronize the remote with the car by simultaneously pressing and holding the unlock and lock buttons on the remote for ~8 seconds (with the car off). The car's horn should chirp when they are successfully synchronized.

If none of this seems to be the problem, doesn't fix the problem, checks out fine, etc you may need to seek help from the dealership. Perhaps someone else could shed some light. I would also post your problem on Saturnfans.com if you haven't done so already. There are ALOT of knowledgeable people on that forum (myself included).

Good luck

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"
- Steve Smith (Red)
Ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
amanda60302
AF Newbie

Thank you soooo much! As soon as the hubby gets home from school we will try your suggestions! I really hope this or something this simple works! I called the dealership as soon as the problem started and unfortunatley they were not very helpful. They told me I could bring it in for them to look at but they charge $150.00 for checking it out and the guy said from what I described he was not sure they would be able to tell me much he said I should just buy a new computer and start there and work my way down....I really want to avoid them if at all possible for obvious reasons! I will post and let you all know how it goes, Thanks again for your help! I love this forum...I have as you suggested posted to Saturn Fans also and havent heard anything yet. I will cross my fingers! Thanks again!!!!!

Amanda
Old 09-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Ruley73
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda60302 View Post
Thank you soooo much! As soon as the hubby gets home from school we will try your suggestions! I really hope this or something this simple works! I called the dealership as soon as the problem started and unfortunatley they were not very helpful. They told me I could bring it in for them to look at but they charge $150.00 for checking it out and the guy said from what I described he was not sure they would be able to tell me much he said I should just buy a new computer and start there and work my way down....I really want to avoid them if at all possible for obvious reasons! I will post and let you all know how it goes, Thanks again for your help! I love this forum...I have as you suggested posted to Saturn Fans also and havent heard anything yet. I will cross my fingers! Thanks again!!!!!

Amanda
I doubt the computer is bad. On a Saturn S-series car a computer failure is a VERY rare occurance. Make sure the battery & cable are in good shape too. either one going bad will cause weird things to happen in these cars before they completely fail altogether.

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"
- Steve Smith (Red)
Ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
RC1488
AF Enthusiast

Now that im thinking about it...did you check the fuses in the cabin fuse panel?
The chime fuse comes to mind.

I wonder if your RKE unit is no good... hmmmmmm

-RC
Old 10-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
amanda60302
AF Newbie

The car is fixed I just wanted to say thanks to those who thoughtfully put in their time and effort to help me get it going again!

It turned out to be a missing Chime Fuse??? Once the fuse was in it was fine I am not sure how the fuse went missing to begin with lol but anyways main point is my little Saturn will live to see another 100k with any luck!

Thanks again you'll!!!!!
Amanda

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alarm , radio , security , sl1 , unlock
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW