Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 10:53 AM   #1
zxracer1784
AF Newbie

Rb20dett or 26dett

Hello again,

I'm planning on doing an engine swap with one of the skyline motors. I haven't decided which motor yet, but I think price is going to decide that for me. I've also heard that the rb26dett is just too much engine for the 240 mainly because it has trouble not breaking traction. You end up leaving more rubber on the road and not get very far.
Ok on to my questions. First I'm tired of people saying that it's too expensive and not worth it to put a skyline motor in a 240. That's BS speed is always worth it. I've been looking into it and it's actuallya straight forward engine swap, for the most part. I was just wondering if anybody out there could tell me all they know about the actual procedure of changing the engines. So please tell me what y'all know and give me a couple of tips.
Second question is does anybody know of places where I can get a skyline front clip and general skyline parts at a descent price. Anybody just know where I can get aftermarket parts cheap would be really cool. There's got to be somebody with a wholesale hook up.

Thank you in advance
zxracer1784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:32 PM   #2
NISM066
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to NISM066
I have no idea about the swap, but check out www.okinawaimportmotorsports.com .
NISM066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 01:58 PM   #3
J SPEC SilEighty
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to J SPEC SilEighty
Re: Rb20dett or 26dett

Quote:
Originally posted by zxracer1784
Hello again,

I'm planning on doing an engine swap with one of the skyline motors. I haven't decided which motor yet, but I think price is going to decide that for me. I've also heard that the rb26dett is just too much engine for the 240 mainly because it has trouble not breaking traction. You end up leaving more rubber on the road and not get very far.
Ok on to my questions. First I'm tired of people saying that it's too expensive and not worth it to put a skyline motor in a 240. That's BS speed is always worth it. I've been looking into it and it's actuallya straight forward engine swap, for the most part. I was just wondering if anybody out there could tell me all they know about the actual procedure of changing the engines. So please tell me what y'all know and give me a couple of tips.
Second question is does anybody know of places where I can get a skyline front clip and general skyline parts at a descent price. Anybody just know where I can get aftermarket parts cheap would be really cool. There's got to be somebody with a wholesale hook up.

Ok, first off here is why most people will say that it's not worth it. For the 15-25k your going to spend on getting the RB26DETT and swapping it into a 240, you could go out and buy and SR (or stay with the KA) and then completly build the bottem end strong as hell and then buy a larger turbo, ecu, injectors, hell you could go buy everything. with 20k invested into an SR or KA you would most likely be getting single digit time slips as well.

The engine swap will not be straight forward at all, it will require custom fabricated engine mounts. It will most likely require a bunch of cutting, welding, and custom work to the engine bay.

Last, if you have enough money to go out and spend all that on an RB swap then you shouldn't be trying to find "cheap" parts. No parts for the skyline are going to be cheap because most of the parts aren't sold here in the states so you will have to pay expensive shipping costs from japan. Plus all the phone calls your going to have to make over there will get expensive. But a pretty good site with japanese parts for the skyline is http://www.takakaira.com/

Good Luck and Have Fun
Old 05-31-2002, 12:20 AM   #4
zxracer1784
AF Newbie

Hello,
I'm sorry but I am pretty convinced that the Skylie engine swap can be done for less thatn 10 k or 8 k depending on what type of deals you get. I mean the engine can be bought for a max of 8k which is the bulk of the cost. Ya there is some custom work needed, specifically the cradle but it shouldn't cost too much. What I need to know is ALL of the custom work needed. I have a good idea of what needs to be done, but I want to make sure I get everything.

thank you
Old 05-31-2002, 06:28 AM   #5
rockerdude
AF Enthusiast

look at it this way, if you have a rb26sett, you pretty much will break into the single digit with probably the same amount of money you will spend to make the SR run in the same time slip, the only difference is, the RB26 is monster, it will take out any car in the US even the Supra TT which seems to be the fastest legal import car in the US that is not an exotic car.
rockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 11:00 AM   #6
zxracer1784
AF Newbie

Ok guys,

I know many of you see the swap as impractical, but I think it can be done for a descent price and it may be somewhat practical. But that's not the point. I want the rb engine and I plan on getting. All I need is some help on the mechanical aspects and I'm asking for y'all to help.

Thankyou
Old 06-05-2002, 11:35 PM   #7
Skyline240
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Skyline240
god damnit everybody always says that its too expensive to do the rb swap and say that its gonna cost arounf 15k to do. i did mine for only 7500 and 4 of that was the engine it self another 2 k for rb25 parts like tranny and oil pan, mounts. and the rest was for just misc. parts. theres really not of cutting ask people in australia and new zealand thats where i got a lot of help from like my cousins down there its been done quite a lot over there. oohh custom mounts not really you can use mounts from the rb25. also for aftermarket parts and stock, nismo parts they really arent expensive to buy if you network your self tell you what zxracer im going back to the philipines in about mabey a month i can get you parts straight from nismo japan pretty cheap all i will ask you to pay is the actuall price of the part which i will send you a listing and then shipping from california to where ever you live and then mabey a little extra for me. just email me or or aim me at lunitoons43. just tell me who you are when you message me.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:46 PM   #8
Skyline240
AF Regular

also what year 240 is it going in mine is a 95 240 (s14 type a lights) your easiest way of getting an rb into your car would be the rb20 its a older but still pumps out 210 on the crank so about 175-180 on the rear but that can easly be mod'd to get over 300 350just need to know what you want to do also parts for the rb20 are still available over seas since any of the rb series engine are still quite popular swaps. also jun and i belive hks have a 180sx (89-93 240sx here in the states) powered by an rb26dett and what ive heard that required a little more cutting then rb20 but not much. oh yeah as for traction its not that bad when i turned my bost to 16psi i had problems but i just turned it down to stock which i think is either 12 or 14 and was fine just had to get some better rubber. at first i was using the bfgoodrich g force then i just switched over to MT so if you need any answers about the swap just gimme a message
Old 06-06-2002, 08:27 PM   #9
J SPEC SilEighty
AF Fanatic

I'd like to see some pics of your engine bay Skyline240
Old 06-06-2002, 09:25 PM   #10
cadet
AF Newbie

this swap is becoming pretty commonplace in New Zealand and Australia. usually the RB20 replaces a CA18 and is used in favour of a SR20 due to cost. RB's are capable of good power and sound nice but add a bit of weight up the front. if you are really keen i recommend you post on a Aussie or NZ Silvia Forum as there are members who will be able to help you.
cadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 03:37 PM   #11
Skyline240
AF Regular

yeah im about to go pick up a new DC i broke my last one when i ran over it hehehe whoops. i might get a digital camcorder if i get the camcorder ill put up a movie of the car in action
Old 06-07-2002, 10:41 PM   #12
J SPEC SilEighty
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyline240
yeah im about to go pick up a new DC i broke my last one when i ran over it hehehe whoops. i might get a digital camcorder if i get the camcorder ill put up a movie of the car in action
ok cool

what year is your 240 and which RB are you using?
Old 06-08-2002, 12:23 AM   #13
Skyline240
AF Regular

its a 95 240sx with the type a light i prefered this model because its easier to do the head and tail light conversion its a secret so if i put pictures up im gonna black em out the rb im usuing is from the r33 i wanted the r34 but those were harder to find most places you look at only carry rb26detts from the 32 and 34 yes rb26s came in the 32 i 2 years before the 33 came into production its from just a regular r33 not vspec so it only pumps out around 230 on the crank at stock boost but what i found was if i turn the boost up to .85 of a bar i get well at least 310 on the crank pretty good since if you do that with the 34 you get 333
Old 06-08-2002, 05:57 AM   #14
Bean Bandit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyline240
...its a secret so if i put pictures up im gonna black em out ... if i turn the boost up to .85 of a bar i get well at least 310 on the crank pretty good since if you do that with the 34 you get 333
Fun is not a straight line. AFs member #299, loyal european support since 02/2001.
Bean Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 01:09 PM   #15
Skyline240
AF Regular

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!