Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
jlmie
AF Newbie

ABS control module problems

My 2000 Passat 4 cyl needs to have the ABS control module replaced. The dealer is wanting $1,300 to do the work. I can get a used one from the salvage yard for pennies, but I don't know how to remove the module. If anyone has information on how to remove the part, it would be greatly appriciated.
jlmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
boschmann
AF Fanatic

Re: ABS control module problems

Are you replaceing both the electronic & hydraulic sections together or trying to seperate them?
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
tangfan
AF Newbie

I've got the same problem with my 99 Passat wagon! If you find anything out, I'll try it too!

Thanks
tangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 06:13 AM   #4
Gavin Curtis
AF Premium User

ABS modules are junk.

The new version of ABS module that BOSCH is making for these VW's is absolute garbage.

They want $1000-$1900 for the poorest made electronic control module I have ever come across! Bosch has completely lost quality control.

Get a working one while you still can and buy some time......
Gavin Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:04 PM   #5
njwidmar
AF Newbie

Same problem with ABS sensor in my 99 wagon, $1500 for part unless I find one on the cheap--at least the dealer will work with me to get it installed. Any advice?
njwidmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:18 PM   #6
boschmann
AF Fanatic

http://www.car-part.com

You may have to look up another similar item for this particular piece, but it gives you local salvage yards in your area that have the car & their 800 number.
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:12 PM   #7
fzadeh
AF Newbie

I have the same ABS Control problem with my Passat 98. I don't mind driving without ABS but would like to know if there is anyway to disable the annoying ABS flashing light and beeping.
fzadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
samc
AF Newbie

same problem w/my 99 Passat. Somebody help us!
There should be a recall!!!
samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
bmw2002nut
AF Newbie

Add me to the list with an ABS control module problem on my 99 Passat 1.8T. Ive lost all faith in Bosch and wont even be buying their spark plugs any more. The Module can be removed with a torx bit and is bolted onto the hydrolic brake box (or whatever u want to call it) on the left side of the engine compartment. It will be easier to remove if u take out the windshild washer bottle but if u have a good assortment of 1/4 inch drive extentions you might be able to get to the 6 bolts without removing it. Im going to check the wrecking yard for prices and will post back with any info.
bmw2002nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:13 PM   #10
Gavin Curtis
AF Premium User

Hey guys, I would like to purchase your bad VW Bosch 5.3i modules if you are able to locate a replacement. Trying to find out why they are failing so a way to rebuild them can be discovered. The design is very flimsy and repairing is virtually impossible. But persistence will eventually lead to success.

These were originally Mistumi 5.3 units released in 1997 Subarus such as the Legacys and others. Then Bosch aquired the design... probably not knowing what they got themselves into. So look for ABS units from 1997 and newer Subaru's. Ford is also using this system in their newer cars... seems to be 2000 and later years.... but may also be found in some 1998's. I believe the Mustangs use the 12 coil Bosch 5.3i which is what the Passats are using.

Match up the number of solenoids (visible when the controller is removed) and the interchange should work. I can't guarantee anything absolutely foolproof at this moment, but the serial data port on the 5.3i is ISO/KWP which is standard for most European, Asian and certain USA vehicles. 1997-2003 Subaru, Honda, VW, Jeep, Kia, Toyota and Volvo are most common.

They seem to be using the same protocol from what I have examined for all units so it should all work... so look in the late model (up to 2003)Subaru junk lot too if they don't have VW! In fact keep searching the lot for the makes of vehicle above. If the module matches visually and number of solenoids match... there is very good chance it will work!

Please call me at (208)892-0764 if you have any you would be willing to sell.
Gavin Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
2000passat
AF Newbie

I am wondering if my 2000 passat is having the same problem. The screen displays a big "STOP", the ABS light, as well as the brake light is permanently on. Is this the same problem? If so, is it OK to drive the car until I get it fixed?
2000passat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
gused82
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: ABS control module problems

I have the same problemwotj my 00 passat 4 motion , and the vw clinic told me that just to keep it easy on the brakes , try not to stop in one second or your abs module may lock the rear axel.

Regarding to the solution of the problem , try to find another VW clinic but not the dealer , because the will charge you an eye of the face , just to tell you the problem, and do not even talking about the labor to fixed , Here in Houston dealer charges 95 plus tax per hour , when in the vw clinic i pay 42.5 for the diagnostic complete, and since i do mechanic stuff a little, they even help me by telling me what to do to so it myself.
I have found a ABS module electronics, for 100 dls with shipping , when the dealer wanted 525 for that thing. look on the Ebay for it.

Hope that helps,bye
gused82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
clinzay
AF Newbie

I nearly had a stroke today at the VW dealership in Arkansas, I'm having an abs module problem as well, on my '99 Passat, and was quoted $2200.00 for the module, not including labor to fix it. I'll take it a bit farther though, mine flashes the abs light, brake light, oil light, and my tachometer stops working, as well as sounding an alarm horn. All of this happens simulatneously. Mine doesn't do it consistantly though, I'll be driving down the road and it just all of a sudden goes crazy, then a while later, everything will start working again. Has anybody found a fix for it? I do light mechanical work, and figured I could replace the abs module if I had too, but I'm hesitant to put another one in, if it's doomed for failure also. Thanks
clinzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
clinzay
AF Newbie

I found this post when I searched Passat, abs/brake light. Hopefully this will help everyone that is having an ABS module problem. I looked at their website, and they seem legit. I think I'm gonna try them out, they also have complete detail pictures on how to remove the module yourself.

I have the exact same problem as "ghite". I own a V6 1999 Passat sedan. The ABS/Brake lights intermittently started flashing (along with 3 beeps), then a couple of weeks later the engine oil pressure light started flashing in addition to the other lights and the tachometer stopped working. When that happened on July 30, I got my car towed to the dealer and they wound up replacing the oil pressure switch, but couldn't find anything else wrong. It worked fine for a day and now all 3 of the lights are back on flashing. Is it safe to drive it? Should I address the problem right away, or drive for awhile until it gets bad enough for them to diagnose the problem? thanks for any help you can give me!

I had the same thing happen on my 99 Passat. I read thru the forums and found www.modulemaster.com (I have no affiliation with them). The site provided me instructions to remove the ABS module which took about 45 minutes. I mailed the module to the company and about 10 days later I had my rebuilt ABS module back. Since I only removed the electronics part of the ABS module I was able to drive the car while it was being repaired. I installed it and the car has been running about 3 weeks now with no problems. The entire deal cost me $230 (including shipping) and it has a warranty for 5 years. The company was easy to contact and they were on the money with the repair! I would definitely use them again before spending hundreds or thousands at the dealer. These guys saved me over $500 on this repair. Mike
clinzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
drewrob40
AF Newbie

I just posted this on another thread, but I had mine rebuilt from www.cheapabs.com for $100. They have instructions on the website for how to remove from VW passat, but i just paid a mechanic 30 bucks to pull it out.

it worked perfectly when i got it back.
drewrob40 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat