Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov
Re: '00 GLS hard starting

Are you looking for the camshaft sensor? or the crankshaft sensor? They are two different things, and two different places, but both can cause hard starting.

The crankshaft sensor is a pretty common cause of hard starting, but it is best accessed from underneath the car, and by removing the starter....I honestly dont recall where the camshaft sensor is, Ive never had to replace it...but I do believe it on the passenger side of the engine...and toward the back, probably near the rear camshafts cover.
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
sandman96
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHoov View Post
Are you looking for the camshaft sensor? or the crankshaft sensor? They are two different things, and two different places, but both can cause hard starting.

The crankshaft sensor is a pretty common cause of hard starting, but it is best accessed from underneath the car, and by removing the starter....I honestly dont recall where the camshaft sensor is, Ive never had to replace it...but I do believe it on the passenger side of the engine...and toward the back, probably near the rear camshafts cover.
It's the camshaft sensor. And that's where I'm thinking it is as well. So now my question is what is the easiest way of getting to it? The washer fluid reservoir and all the hoses are right there in the way.
sandman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
sparcx
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman96 View Post
It's the camshaft sensor. And that's where I'm thinking it is as well. So now my question is what is the easiest way of getting to it? The washer fluid reservoir and all the hoses are right there in the way.
not sure if this helps... but towards the end someone mentions a 3.5l intrigue and the coolant overflow

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=228007
sparcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

First off let me say that im simply going off memory...

i think youre right about the location, but thats the coolant reservoir, not washer fluid, if youre putting washer fluid in there...hard starting is the least of your worries haha.

but, the coolant reservoir is easy to move out of your way, its held in place by two small nuts, then it should lift out of the way. disconnecting the hoses from it isnt absolutely necessary, but should make things easier, you will lose coolant though if you do.

again, im just going off memory, ill take a look under my hood later for ya.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #20
sandman96
AF Newbie

Thank you both for the help. I'm sure you're right about it being the coolant, LittleHoov. I don't know my way around this car, obviously. I had the two bolts off earlier but you're very limited on how far the reservoir can move with just the bolts removed. I removed the hoses and then found it didn't help much because of the sensor plugged into the bottom of the reservoir. I"m guessing if I remove this sensor all the coolant will pour out. At this point it was getting dark and cold so I put it all back together. Also when I removed the overflow hose from the reservoir it just fell to the ground. Is this not supposed to go back into the reservoir?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
jpar1983
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman96 View Post
Thank you both for the help. I'm sure you're right about it being the coolant, LittleHoov. I don't know my way around this car, obviously. I had the two bolts off earlier but you're very limited on how far the reservoir can move with just the bolts removed. I removed the hoses and then found it didn't help much because of the sensor plugged into the bottom of the reservoir. I"m guessing if I remove this sensor all the coolant will pour out. At this point it was getting dark and cold so I put it all back together. Also when I removed the overflow hose from the reservoir it just fell to the ground. Is this not supposed to go back into the reservoir?
If it is like my '00, I just took the bolts out of the reservoir and moved it forward a bit until I could see the sensor sticking out of the side of the engine. There is a wire sticking out of it, you can't miss it once you move that reservoir. Then it is one bolt out, take out the old sensor, put in the new sensor (might be a good idea to clean the hole that it plugs into with a clean shop towel or something), bolt it in and plug it in. Once you move that reservoir you're done in 5 minutes.
jpar1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Ok, I went out at refreshed myself, thankfully I havent had to work on my car in a while, so I was getting a little fuzzy.

There are 3 hoses that connect to the coolant overflow bottle.

There is the small rubber hose maybe 4 inches long that comes out of a metal hard line from the engine, this hose connects toward the top/back of the reservoir.

Then there is the biggest of the 3 hoses, that runs about dead center out of the reservoir and connects to the thermostat housing.

Also the overflow hose which runs out of the top, takes a sharp 90 degree turn and then points straight down and connects to, as you mentioned sandman, it connects to nothing. If you have too much coolant, it lets the excess escape the system by pouring out on the ground. Kind of strange, but many vehicles have a very similar setup.

Now then, to get to that sensor, you will need to remove the 2 small nuts at the top of the reservoir, and then get some pliers and remove the clamp on the small hose that comes off the metal line. The first one I mentioned, just slide the clamp back far enough to where you can get the hose removed. It will leak a little bit no matter what in my experience but if you can keep the exposed tip pointed upwards it will help a little. Also if you do the repair on a level surface it will help. A third little trick you might try is finding something non-harmful that will fit tightly in that hose....I think you average round Bic pen fits in there just fine.

Now then, this is where opinions might start to differ, if it was me, Id pull up and out on the reservoir while leaving the main hose connected. Yes it will kink it slightly while youre working on it, but it should return back to normal with no issues, especially since you wont be in there long.

As for the wiring to the coolant level sensor, you should be able to disconnect the wiring harness from the sensor. Dont remove the sensor from the reservoir, or as you stated, you will have a mess.

With that small hose and electrical connection disconnected you can basically either set the reservoir on the battery/fusebox area, or on top of your engine cover, whichever seems easier to you. You CAN absolutely disconnect the hose to the thermostat if you want, but to me its just more mess and more trouble, it wont hurt that hose to be bent for 5-10 minutes. If it DOES hurt that hose, it needed to be replaced anyway

Other than that it sounds like you know where the sensor is, it will be staring you in the fact once you remove that coolant bottle. Its held in by one screw, shouldnt be tight at all. Just disconnect the wiring harness. Then remove the old one by whatever means necessary. Probably grab, twist, and pull. Don't "hulk out" on it too much though, because the plastic parts could very well be brittle, and break off, making a simple project a big pain.

Sorry for the long-winded post, I was trying to be thorough and paint you a word picture haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to LittleHoov For This Useful Post:
sandman96 (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
sandman96
AF Newbie

Thank you so much LittleHoov. This is just the kind of detailed explanation I was looking for. No need to apologize for being "long-winded". Now if only my wife wasn't out driving the car and it wasn't 25 degree's outside I could get this done. This car is so different from my Dodge truck. Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
sandman96
AF Newbie

Finally a nice sunny day. Not ready to say it's fixed yet but so far so good. Putting in the new camshaft sensor took 10 minutes tops thanks to some detailed instructions from LittleHoov. Hopefully this is the end of this cars problems for a while.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #25
jpar1983
AF Newbie

It's been a while since I posted to this thread, but I went ahead and got both the cam and crankshaft sensors changed, to no effect. Check engine light comes on sporadically, throws a P0101 mass air flow sensor code, which I then pulled and cleaned, also changed the air filter. The only thing I noticed there was that the mesh in front of the sensor had a slight dent in it, like maybe some fat-fingered mechanic shoved his fingernail into it accidentally or something, don't know if that is enough to cause the hard starting issue, or really any issue. The car routinely starts hard, requires cranking up to about 5 seconds and sometimes dies the first time it starts. I recently realized also that I have never had a fuel injection system cleaning done, only occasionally used STP or something similar. Anybody know if that could cause the hard starting? I don't want to keep pumping cash into this thing if it won't fix it. Probably going to sell sometime next year anyway, so if anybody is near southern Indiana looking for one of these to work on, let me know!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
panzer dragoon
AF Enthusiast

Did you ever look into the fuel pressure regulator. Look into goofy ignition switch issues also. When were the spark plugs changed?

At the worst case you can take it to GM and have a Tech2 scan done. $100-200
panzer dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
jpar1983
AF Newbie

The only thing I knew to check on the FPR was the vacuum hose, and that looked fine. I don't think it would be the ignition switch because it cranks just fine, just takes a few extra seconds for the engine to fire.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #28
sandman96
AF Newbie

Changing the cam sensor didn't fix my problem either. Guess I will try the crank sensor next and hope that works. The car was showing a service engine light the other day so will probably take it a parts store and have them hook up the scanner.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #29
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Sandman I just posted a How-To on an engine mount, which contains a section on removing the starter. You will need to at least partially remove the starter to replace your crank sensor. Technically its not necessary to remove it entirely, but to me its easier, and you dont have the starter hanging from wires while youre trying to work in the area.

A set of ramps will make your life much easier in replacing that sensor.

I outlined removed the starter in this post, down toward the bottom.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1076561

Its actually pretty straightforward.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #30
sandman96
AF Newbie

Thanks again for the detailed walkthrough LittleHoov. I don't have ramps or stands or even a jack. So not too sure how I will accomplish this task.