Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
XXXRIDDELLXXX
AF Newbie

Angry 1997 cavalier 2.2 transmission wont shift right.

i have a 1997 chevy cavalier and it shifted fine the whole time i have had it. i drove it the other day and it would not shift into drive. it is a 3 speed. (p r n d 2 1). well for several days i could drive it in 2nd gear and get my speed to about 45 - 50 and push it in nuteral and let it idle down then push it back into drive and it would shift. well i later replaced the transmission filter and now it wont shift from second into drive no matter what i do. it will run 55 in second gear without becoming very loud or hot. this transmission has not been mistreated and it has not slipped once. although right before i changed the filter, when i would pushed it in to neutural it would jerk a few times and then it would run in drive fine. now after i changed the filter it will not go back in drive but it tries because that jerk is still there. i am getting ready to replace the pressure control solenoid and pray it works. this is the only vehicle i have for myself, wife, and kids. i am in college and my wife is working and kids in school and i am very low income right now. i cant afford to buy a new car or replace a bunch of parts not needed. my car has 214k miles on it but runs like a dream other than this shift problem. i have done replaced mass parts ranging in the 300 dollar range and i got over 2000 in this car? what are some suggestions?
XXXRIDDELLXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
sparkknock
AF Newbie

Re: 1997 cavalier 2.2 transmission wont shift right.

My friend just bought a used 97 Chevy Cavilier Z24 and it would shift hard going into gears. He called a transmission man he has known for years. That is all the guy does is transmissions and has been for 30+ years. Friend told him about the hard shifts and the Tranny man said to change the Throttle Positioning Sensor (TPS) and it would fix it. My friend did and it fixed it fine. Now the car shifts through the gears without slamming in to each one and he has a passing gear now. I'm not saying it will cure your problem but for $30 its a start. By the way, there are two types of TPSs on that car. One is a high voltage and one is a low voltage. If you haven't got it fixed yet, I would give this a try for cheap. Not promising it will cure your problem but it helped my friend.
sparkknock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
killertaz17@hotmai
AF Newbie

Re: 1997 cavalier 2.2 transmission wont shift right.

Was wondering if this worked for you i have a 97 2.2 with the same problem.
killertaz17@hotmai is offline   Reply With Quote