Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L
AF Newbie

Unhappy I need an Isuzu WIZARD!! Rodeo 2.2l - 4cyl - P0301 ...NEED HELP, meh...please!! :(

Ok... first and foremost... this is my first post on here... so if I blunder.. please forgive me in advance.

Second.. THANK YOU. Many of ya'lls posts on here have helped me get through SO MANY repairs on my Isuzu. Repairs I couldn't afford to get a mechanic to do... and further , ones I would have never even attempted without this forum.

2 years ago... I had never worked on a car. Ever. When the economy tanked, so did my business, and I had to turn in my 2006 Magnum Hemi... and I bought my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo 4 cyl from a neighor. Who might I add, had NO CONCEPT of the word "maintenance."

I love this car... sure its not the Magnum... but it's been loyal, faithful, and up until a few months ago... dependable.

AS OF NOW... I have:

1) removed and cleaned the EGR
2) replaced the air and fuel filter
3) replaced battery
4) replaced alternator
5) replaced spark plugs
6) replaced spark plug wires
7) cleaned o2 sensor
8) replaced the uppermost gasket (dont remember what it was called, but it was a plastic stringy gasket that prevented oil from getting to the spark plugs - which at the time were swimming in oil before i replaced gasket, and cleaned out all the engine oil).

I HAVE ALSO ADDED:

1) Seafoam in the gas tank
2) Seafoam in crank case
3) Seafoam through PCV valve
4) Then changed my oil and added Rotella T 15W-40 based off suggestions in the forums here. I believe that even here in Texas, this oil is just too thick however, and will be changing again shortly with Rotella 5W-30.

NOW HERE IS WHERE I NEED HELP.

While I started with 8 OBD codes. I'm down to 3.

P0301, P1627, and P0463

Today... I will be dropping the fuel tank and changing out the fuel sending unit. This didnt just show up in OBD codes, but apparently EVERY isuzu owner eventually has to do this. (Thanks, Isuzu... you guys rock. Yeah... you rock like my stomach rocks after drinking Gin and Tequila in the same night). From what I've read... I'm hoping the new fuel sending unit I bought from eBay (awnicol) will help with the P1627 and P0463 codes.

The P0301 however... im clueless on.

-When my Isuzu starts it runs rough.
-The exhaust smells rich.
-There's a slight sputtering noise from the driver side of the engine, especially when I accelerate.
-The CEL is on .... and will begin to flash whenever I hit around 3000RPM doing more than 30 mph (until the car thoroughly warms up - usually about 15 minutes of driving later... and even then its noticeable... just not as much... sometimes flashes, sometimes doesnt).
-FINALLY... when moving spots in the parking lot the other day, my buddy and I both noticed a gasoline smell eminating from underneath the car. (ive done a once-over looking quickly for gas leaks... but nothing is dripping on the ground). Havent yet done the carb cleaner by the intake yet but am pretty sure this isnt the culprit. For thoroughness I will check tomorrow, or today more so, before I drop fuel tank.

Now.. I am SUPER BROKE. After 2 years of being unemployed I finally got a job. In friggin LOS ANGELES.

I have to get this car ready to drive from Austin, to LA (and HOPEFULLY back to Austin one day... as I have no intention of staying in LA for more than a year or two).

CAN ANYONE HELP ME DIAGNOSE THE MISFIRE IN CYLINDER 1 (P0301)

Im down to my last pennies... and I may have to rob a gas station just to get gas money to get out to Cali (kidding, of course. I'd sell my body before robbing someone... or donate a gallon of plasma lol).

Any help would be appreciated.Any ideas?!?! Intake Gasket? Exhaust Manifold Gasket (could that be the puttering noise when accelerating??) Coil Pack??

Im trying my hardest to get the best guess possible before replacing yet another part. I only have $150 left I can play with... I'm hoping for a miracle.

2 Weeks, countless hours researching and working on this car, and pretty much all the money I have left in the world... and still... P0301

Very sorry for the LONG ASS post... just wanted to be thorough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

God bless...
Marc
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: I need an Isuzu WIZARD!! Rodeo 2.2l - 4cyl - P0301 ...NEED HELP, meh...please!! :(

I didn't know you could clean O2 sensors? You might want to replace your sensors. The Gas smell when you move could be something as simple as the exhaust flex tube has a rip in it and the fumes can roll up into the car.

Your best bet is to find someone with the right plug in computer to help diagnose better then just codes.

You could have issues with coils too. Don't be afraid to hit up a local junk-yard for parts (www.car-parts.com)...

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L
AF Newbie

Re: I need an Isuzu WIZARD!! Rodeo 2.2l - 4cyl - P0301 ...NEED HELP, meh...please!! :(

Ryan,

Thanks for the response. I didn't manually clean the sensor. Just assumed it got cleaned with the seafoam treatment b/c prior to my repairs and seafoam, I DID have an obd for O2 sensor but its no longer showing up.

Also... I forgot to add to the original post that I've also changed out the camshaft position sensor as well.

I used the link you provided and submitted requests for a couple of ignition coil packs from different places, but late last night I found a new one for $45 installed, so that might be tough to beat.

Can u please tell me a little more about this exhaust hose you're talking about? Can that cause the puttering/misfire???

Finally, do u have ANY idea where I might be able to find one of the computers you mentioned that gives better (more detailed) diagnosis?
Old 01-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

The flex tube on my isuzu (mind I have a 3.2) is under the middle of the car after the cats.

Can this cause a stumble? I don't think so but it can cause it to run a little richer and you will smell it and the engine will be louder.

As for a computer most shops will have these.

It will allow to see things like the cycles of the O2 sensors to see if they are healthy and it can look at voltage at ind coils.

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L
AF Newbie

well... I'll take a look for it. This weekend I dropped the gas tank and got the new fuel sending unit installed.

Codes P1427 and P0463 are gone.

Unfortunately... P0301 (misfire cylinder 1) and a NEW code (P0128) have showed up.

So as of now I've replaced the following:

1) Spark plug wires
2) Spark plugs
3) valve cover gasket
4) fuel sending unit
5) air/fuel filters
6) alternator
7) battery
8) camshaft position sensor

and i've done the seafoam treatment, as well.

STILL NO CLUE with the P0301 ... and have no clue about htis new P0128 code or where it could have come from.

ANYONE?!?! ANY IDEAS?!?!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

P0301, # 1 cyl misfire. Recheck the #1 spark plug and the plug wire. P0128 , Check the ECT, may have shifted out of parmeters and keeping the engine in open loop operation. Stop using the Rotella. Its formulated for diesel engines not gasoline engines. Its not gonna do that engine any good especially on those long hauls.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeltaP For This Useful Post:
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L
AF Newbie

Delta... thanks for your response.

I just ordered a new coil pack. In the meantime... how can I go about checking the sparkplug as you mentioned? just pull it and visually inspect?

As for the ECT... any tips on going about that? (i'm clueless)

so far ive been told it may be the thermostat or the water temp sensor... I would have ordered those as well and just done them... but im REALLY low on funds right now.

Will start by installing new coil pack, then will sparkplug, and with a little assistance will check ECT as well before moving forward.

Thanks again!!

Marc
Old 01-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L
AF Newbie

one other thing... regarding the Rotella. 10-4.

Will add some seafoam to it today, then will flush and replenish with high mileage 5W-30 tomorrow. Does that sound good?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
ljness181
AF Newbie

I was just browsing the net to see how many miles people are getting out of their Isuzu Rodeo when I came across your post. I went through the same thing, actually, so I hope I'm not too late with catching you (although the post is months old....)

Like yourself, I experienced a decline in the economy when I was working for a dealership that also sold Isuzu. I bought a 2001 4cy RWD Manual for dirt cheap with about 62K

I never really drove it, but when it reached 70K the check engine light came on. I was fortunate to work with an Isuzu Master Technician...he pulled the codes and three of them came back, although I don't remember what they were. The car would sputter upon starting it and had a significant misfire, in which I recall the tech telling me it was cylinder 1. My Isuzu was in the shop for about 3 weeks total in an attempt to figure out what the problem was. He'd change something, I'd drive it around and it would still have issues.

I remember he replaced:
-starter
-spark plugs
-thermostat
-Cam Shaft Position Sensor
-Ignition Coils

After all of that the car STILL had a misfire. Turns out it was a blown head gasket that was allowing coolant to get into cylinder 1. He changed it, and I haven't had a single problem with the vehicle since. This was 6 years ago and my Isuzu has almost 120K on it now.

Hopefully this helps, or your issue has been resolved.
ljness181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
ctribb808
AF Newbie

Angry Re: I need an Isuzu WIZARD!! Rodeo 2.2l - 4cyl - P0301 ...NEED HELP, meh...please!! :(

I am having similar issues to just like above and frankly am at a loss as to where to go next. Money is really tight, so having to do the work myself.

I have a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo 2.2l 4cyl, the person that started this thread. I too am getting the P0301 (Miss-fire #1 cyl) code in OBD. I can't figure out what is causing the problem.

I tell people, I am NOT a mechanic, but I have a mechanical mind, I can understand how things are suppose to work.

Background on this truck. Was driving it, started having issues with it cutting out, then dying. Found one of the spark plug wires arcing, so replaced the wires. Upon doing that, found that the spark plugs themselves were swimming in oil. Drove it for a couple of weeks anyway, figured I would look into fixing the leak. I knew I had an oil leak, but I didn't realize it was that bad.
About 2 weeks into it, on a drive home it was like someone flipped a switch. It started misfiring, losing power on the hills, under load, and running hot. I didn't let it boil over, needless to say it took 45 min to go 2 miles home.

1)I then replaced the valve cover gasket, cleaned all the oil out of the holes, replaced the spark plugs and wires again, just couldn't get the other ones clean enough to suit me. Also replaced the fuel filter.

Still miss-firing!

2)Next checked the compression on each cylinder, numbers were all consistent. Also performed a block test on the cooling system, looking for CO gas in the cooling system, negative on that as well, atleast it is not a head gasket!

3)Checked each of the fuel injectors with a resistance meter, found #1 value to be way off of the other three. Figured the fuel injector had gone bad. Had to order parts from off island, took almost 2 weeks to get a new injector. Replaced that a couple of days ago.

Still miss-firing! Still same code.

4)Ok, now I am wondering do I have an electrical issue? I picked up a noid light kit for checking the electrical connections to the fuel injectors. I am getting a consistent flash on #1 cylinder, grrrr...im a super frustrated right now.

**For a while before this all started, have been having issues with the truck running warm, especially pulling hills. I think the water pump is wearing out, so, when ordered the injector, I also ordered a water pump/ timing belt kit and serpentine belt, it's time to do that.** I think they are separate issues. Am presently running without the thermostat in the system.

I am at a complete loss right now as to where to go next! :Banghead
ctribb808 is offline   Reply With Quote