Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
tommeh87
AF Newbie

190E 1,8 running lumpy/no idle

It's turning into a headache this car. I've replaced all CIS injectors, tested spark on each lead and done a compression test which came out positive. The car started running rough, and lost a cylinder occasionally, before it got down to a full time 3 cylinder conversion, and now it seems like it's running on only two. The oil is good and has been replaced on firm intervals. Spark plugs all look wet and smell of gas. any input as appreciated.
tommeh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 190E 1,8 running lumpy/no idle

If your plugs seem wet and oily, that's usually a sign of inadequate spark. Yes I saw that you wrote that you tested your plugs and there was spark, but it might not be strong enough. Your plugs may also be due for a change. Does the car burn oil at all. How about you ignition timing. These are all things to look into.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
tommeh87
AF Newbie

Re: 190E 1,8 running lumpy/no idle

Hi, thanks for your reply. I did get my car running after replacing 2 of the spark plugs. Guess I trusted the previous owner too much about him replacing every ignition part just over a year ago. I found 2 different spark plugs where both was not performing right. But still after replacing, lumpy ride. The rpm goes up and down between 500-1000, and dives hard occasionally when I decelerate, and stall. Not sure if the ignition timing should cause this. I've switched the setting of the EZL, causing the ignition to advance or retard several degrees, without any difference.

Could the air flow meter be partially faulty, causing this? Is it easy to determine by disconnecting it, then start up the car and see if the rpm is steady? Think that should be easy enough to try, then go from there if it isn't that.
tommeh87 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion