Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-7
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 08:55 PM   #1
Kabs
AF Regular

RX-7 vs. 3000gt

Now i know i am a newbie but i need to know.... if u got a top of the line rx-7 and a toop of the line 3000gt vr-4 which on would win in a race???
Old 12-05-2001, 06:36 PM   #2
autocrash87hb
AF Newbie

not sure, but i think the RX would win... the 3000gt was a HEAVY ass car!
Old 12-05-2001, 07:35 PM   #3
Cavallino
AF Enthusiast

I think this was posted liek two days ago and i think the general consensus was vr4....
Old 12-06-2001, 07:10 PM   #4
autocrash87hb
AF Newbie

I stand corrected....

ahh well.... can't be right all the time...
Old 12-08-2001, 10:11 AM   #5
fortyoz2eric
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fortyoz2eric
off the line the vr4 would definetley win but its a hell of a lot easier to modify an rx7
Old 12-08-2001, 12:50 PM   #6
blatch
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to blatch Send a message via AIM to blatch
3kgt vr-4 will basically destroy anything. with a little $3 thingy and an intake it can beat a skyline.

rx-7 is much lighter and corners a LOT better than the 3k.

blatch likes caffeine.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:18 AM   #7
josedi
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to josedi
Quote:
Originally posted by blatch
3kgt vr-4 will basically destroy anything. with a little $3 thingy and an intake it can beat a skyline.

rx-7 is much lighter and corners a LOT better than the 3k.
I hate to burst your buble but the 3000GT is probably the biggest pig of wannabe sports made. Why?? It weights nearly 4,000 pounds, The engine is not very reliable and hard to modify, Handles like a school bus, even with suspension, Its a great car if you live up north in where it snows alot. And it will not Destroy anything, A Supra with minor mods will kill that thing in a heart beat, Supra are probably the best car to modify from japan that we get in the US. They can easily make 550HP and up. The 3000GT in the other hand will take alot of money and you will be breaking the drivetrain all the time, AWD dont mean shit, Put some fatty R compound tires of any high powered RWD car and you will have neck snapping launches..The RX7 i wont even go there, that car is just a work of art, 50/50 Weight distribution, Lightest of the pack at only 2,760 pounds, Double Wishbone Aluminum Suspension all around, Rotary twin turbo engine which can easily be modded.. Horsepower to Weight Ratio will always win, The 3000GT has a huge mountain to climb with its weight near 4000 pounds. And the SKyline comment you made was just simply ignorant and shows how little you know about cars. How many 7 second 3000GTS have you seen?? theres plenty of R32s and R33s running those times, The fastest 3000GT in the US can barely run 10s..$3 dollar thingy you mention i assume its a home made boost controller, Sure that will make the turbo generate more PSI, but that will cause engine damage, its not just turning up the boost, and a intake. You have to add more fuel, better ignition system, reinforce the engine components, FMIC..Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about and probably drive a Civic with a bunch of VTEC stickers on it and Loud Tip..To answer the question, the last 3000GT VR4 that came to the US was rated at 320HP with 0-60 at 4.8secs and 1/4 at 13.8 secs, The RX-7 came with 255HP 0-60 in 5.0 to 5.2 secs, 1/4 mile times of 13.9-14.0. SO in stock form the 3000GT VR4 was faster by very little, the RX7 however with a DP, Full Exhaust, and a K&N twin intake kit will easily run mid 13s, if you start adding more mods it will by far eat up the 3000GT VR4. both in straights and in the turns. Look at who the fastest import in the world currently drives..thats right a RX7 with very low 7 sec times in 1/4
Old 12-29-2001, 08:54 PM   #8
fortyoz2eric
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fortyoz2eric
word
Old 12-30-2001, 03:02 PM   #9
EfiniRX7
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to EfiniRX7
Jose hit it right on the nose. Hell just the name alone gives it away: 3000GT . It's a grand touring car more than anything. It has a back seat too which means it's not truly a sports car. Altered Atmosphere Motorsports (www.alteredatmosphere.com) is very close to where I live and they have what they claim is the world's fastest 3KGT/Stealth and it's only in the mid-high 10's which isn't very impressive considering how much dough it looks like they dumped into it. I will say though that the 3KGT/Stealth is a very comfortable and relatively quick car, but as far as pure performance goes the RX-7 will walk all over it any day of the week...unless it's snow racing The real DSM sports car IMHO are the 1g AWD Talons and Eclipse' (the 2G's are chick cars IMO). They're relatively light (3200lbs give or take), kinda sorta quick in stock form, but ultimately they can be modded easily and cheaply to put down some pretty nice hp #'s. Plus the 1g's look kinda good too...like a pseudo rally car almost. I'm looking at getting one of 'em myself in the next week or two if I can't find a nice Celica All Trac.
My Not-So World Famous Website: www.geocities.com/eunosfd
Old 01-12-2002, 03:31 PM   #10
Sparkyda_dog
AF Newbie

The RX-7 is by far the superior vehicle. I have seen one beat bullet bikes and trailor cars. As for the original question though it barely goes to the 3kgt. Now the same guy sold that and bought a skyline and that is almost faster than his rx-7 now
Old 01-14-2002, 07:04 PM   #11
Z06Lover
AF Regular

i agree

i have an S2000 and am buying a slightly modified 3rd gen here soon. Many people who have stock 3rd gen's run high 4's 0-60 and low 13's in the 1/4. The magazine sucked at driving it, because it is not super simple to launch....much easier then my S2000 though!! With an exhaust system on an TT Rx-7 (full 3 inch with downpipe, but keeping the Cat, but getting rid of the pre-cat) you can gain upward of 30RWHP. This is because you free up the exhaust and the Turbo's will generate more PSI. The stock waste gate is only good for about 12psi though, so you have to be careful modding to much. You can also make your own boost controller with a part from home depot for $20...then you can run upwards of 17 psi reliably...that is what I would call a simple cheap mod!! It gives you serious HP gains also.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:38 PM   #12
3rdGenLuvr
AF Newbie

Z06Lover: I like ur enthusiasm about the FD but you really need to do more research.
I just recently purchased a '94 FD in stock form, inside of 2 months I added a Pettit AST (reliability mod), SS DP, SS CB, modified my stock airbox + K&N oem filter and installed an Apexi Power FC. Supposedly with these mods Im running somewhere arnd 300 RWHP. In stock form the turbos run at 10# Im now running 12#. The consensus is anymore boost than that a fuel pump and secondaries shld be upgraded. And from what Ive learned in the past 3 months........there is NO way you can run 17# on my set-up let alone what you mentioned. If ur lucky, you can go close to 14# reliably w/ the stock turbos but I wld still upgrade my secondaries in the very least.

Guys the only thing that sucks about these cars is its a tempermental machine. however if things are done smart and carefuly planned out the car can and will HAMMER! :sun:
'00 RC51 (race/street)
fireblade_911@yahoo.com
Old 01-15-2002, 12:28 AM   #13
Z06Lover
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by 3rdGenLuvr
Z06Lover: I like ur enthusiasm about the FD but you really need to do more research.
I just recently purchased a '94 FD in stock form, inside of 2 months I added a Pettit AST (reliability mod), SS DP, SS CB, modified my stock airbox + K&N oem filter and installed an Apexi Power FC. Supposedly with these mods Im running somewhere arnd 300 RWHP. In stock form the turbos run at 10# Im now running 12#. The consensus is anymore boost than that a fuel pump and secondaries shld be upgraded. And from what Ive learned in the past 3 months........there is NO way you can run 17# on my set-up let alone what you mentioned. If ur lucky, you can go close to 14# reliably w/ the stock turbos but I wld still upgrade my secondaries in the very least.

Guys the only thing that sucks about these cars is its a tempermental machine. however if things are done smart and carefuly planned out the car can and will HAMMER! :sun:
well, you didn't really understand what i posted. I said with that home depot boost controller you can run up to 17 psi reliably. I didn't say all you have to do is put the homemade boost controller on and you can run 17 psi. I was saying that the home depot boost controller is works well enough to run up to 17 psi with it..that's it. I know if you wanted to run 17 psi you would have to go to a single turbo conversion, not to mention new ECU, IC and a bunch of other crap!!
Old 01-15-2002, 10:31 AM   #14
3rdGenLuvr
AF Newbie

Quote:
You can also make your own boost controller with a part from home depot for $20...then you can run upwards of 17 psi reliably...that is what I would call a simple cheap mod!! It gives you serious HP gains also.
Ohhhhhhh ok! I didnt know you meant it like that, silly me I shld of been able to read ur mind a bit better than that. I guess it was the "that is what I would call a simple cheap mod" comment that thru me off.
'00 RC51 (race/street)
fireblade_911@yahoo.com
Old 01-15-2002, 01:32 PM   #15
Z06Lover
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by 3rdGenLuvr

Ohhhhhhh ok! I didnt know you meant it like that, silly me I shld of been able to read ur mind a bit better than that. I guess it was the "that is what I would call a simple cheap mod" comment that thru me off.
i re-read my post...it was unclear...stupid internet!!
I meant compared to most manual boost controllers the home depot one is a cheap mod. anyway....cool car. I think i will be buying one this week. wish me luck!! :frog:

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-7