Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
bbear13
AF Newbie

Charging system-95 aurora

Replaced battery and alternator, tested terminals at battery and under hood, both read normal when car is off / both read around 17+ when engine is running. Any suggestions? Maybe PCM?
bbear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
ghutchin
AF Regular

Re: Charging system-95 aurora

Most likely your alternator, although it could be your battery thermistor. The battery thermistor is a red bod connected to your positive battery terminal. It has a connector, try disconnecting it.
ghutchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
bbear13
AF Newbie

Ok that seemed to work, I disconnected the fuse for the thermistor and its charging between 14 and 15V. Now I have an issue with starting it, sometimes it will just click, I wait a while and all of a sudden it starts right up...... and the driver side window works when it wants to, no idea why.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
ghutchin
AF Regular

You can replace the thermister if you want. All it does is signal the alternator to put out more juice when the car is cold because the assumption is that more electrical things are running like seat warmers and defrost. You will be fine without it, although I doubt it is an expensive part.

Your starter problem is 1 of 4 things:

1. Ignition switch
2. Ignition relay
3. Faulty conection on starter between starter motor and starter solenoid. This is a common problem with our cars, people end up replacing the starter when it is just the short thick wire coming disconnected.
4. Starter

The part that sucks on our cars is that the starter is mounted under the intake, so that needs to be removed. Not a terribly hard job, but not super simple. I would start with the relay.

Drivers side window could be a couple of things, such as the switch or the motor. There is also a common problem on our cars where the wiring to the drivers side door was too short, which eventually will lead to some wires being pinched and broken. If you open the door and pull back the rubber boot, inspect for broken or damaged wires.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
bbear13
AF Newbie

If i remove the intake will I have to replace the gasket?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
apollo7879
AF Regular

No, I've removed my intake manifold 3 different times and used the the original gasket without a problem.
apollo7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
ghutchin
AF Regular

In theory, you do not need to replace them. The gasket is actually made of plastic and has 4 holes for each intake port. Around the holes is a rubbery/silicone material which makes the seal. Much like a rubber valve cover gasket vs cork or paper, it is reusable. I found recently though that my intake manifold gaskets were leaking (200k on my motor). The rubber seal part is very thin. So depending on your mileage, you may just want to replace them. You can get a FelPro brand set for $31 from rock auto.

Since you have a 95, vacuum leaks are not that big of a deal because the 95 is a speed density setup, but it still is best to not have any vacuum leaks. If you want to check if they are leaking use the following procedue: With the engine running, spray some starter fluid around the base of the intake manifold and see if there is any change in RPM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alternator , battery , charging
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora