Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
saw85
AF Newbie

2004 Mountaineer sensor issues

My 2004 4.6L V8 AWD Mountaineer has several issues that seemed to have popped up recently:

1. ABS light sporadically came on and off and now remains on
2. Door Ajar light comes on and off- doors are not ajar
3. Will not shift out of park unless I pump brake/ turn on and off vehicle multiple times.

I'm new to the Forum, so please let me know if I should include any additional information. Thank you for any help you can provide!
saw85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 2004 Mountaineer sensor issues

Welcome to the forum!

Please confirm that the light that's coming on is the amber "ABS" light rather than the red "Brake" light. If it's the red "Brake" light check the fluid level in the master cylinder. If the level is low, you either have a leak or your brake pads are worn and need to be replaced. Please don't just add fluid, but rather check the condition of the brake pads.

If it's the amber "ABS" light, then there are some slight differences between those with just ABS and those that also have the RSC/AdvancTrac. If yours has either of these, there will probably be a badge on the rear liftgate announcing such.

The door ajar light is pretty common and there are several posts on this forum related to cleaning or replacing the door pin switch located in the door latches or inspecting the wiring for the rear liftgate/glass. You might try the "Search this forum" feature for keyword 'ajar'.

Does the difficulty shifting from park happen pretty much all the time or only when parked on a hill? If only on a hill, then you might try setting the parking brake before shifting in to park and see if that solves the issue when trying to shift from park. If it's acts up when parked on level ground as well, then it might be the brake pedal switch that's causing the problem.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote