Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Street/Track Racing Stories!
Street/Track Racing Stories! Beat any Mustangs today? Tell everyone about what your Honda can do! (Keep it clean)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 03:27 AM   #1
meberra
AF Newbie

Civic -vs- Scion tC

Hey all friday at the track i raced my buddys Scion tC. I have a 93 civic D16z and we're both Autos. It was his first time there and my second time, we did 3 runs. I won the first but lost the other 2. We both ended a 17sec in the 1/4. My question would be if i was to start off in D1 and shift up to D2 and what not, would i be able to get a little more from my car? I ask cause when i go from D3 my car shifts automaticly at 7000rpm's a guy told me i could be lossing power with it going that high..... Here go some slips
meberra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Rampart Crawler
AF Enthusiast

Are you the circled time? That time lost all 13 in the 1/4, from what I can see. Which times are yours.
As for going thorugh the gears in an auto, I've heard that it's better to let most stock auto trannies do the work for you. Wait for a more educated response before you go back to the track, though.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
TheRedPill
AF Newbie

Re: Civic -vs- Scion tC

Dude, he whupped your butt all 3 times. And if your think physically putting the shift lever into the gears will force them to shift earlier, you are wrong. Your tranny will shift when it deems fit, i.e. depending on your throttle position/speed/rpm's. Most people try to get later shifts by manual putting the shift level into the gears later than the ecu would shift, not earlier. Most ecu's will allow you to shift 500-600 rpm's later by doing this, before the tach cutoff. You could try this, but I would still be hard pressed that it would do much good. How sad that a car with less HP beat you at the track, almost as sad as your ET's. Sell your car and buy a cavalier, you deserve it!
TheRedPill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
OverAllComa
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OverAllComa
Re: Re: Civic -vs- Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedPill
Dude, he whupped your butt all 3 times. And if your think physically putting the shift lever into the gears will force them to shift earlier, you are wrong. Your tranny will shift when it deems fit, i.e. depending on your throttle position/speed/rpm's. Most people try to get later shifts by manual putting the shift level into the gears later than the ecu would shift, not earlier. Most ecu's will allow you to shift 500-600 rpm's later by doing this, before the tach cutoff. You could try this, but I would still be hard pressed that it would do much good. How sad that a car with less HP beat you at the track, almost as sad as your ET's. Sell your car and buy a cavalier, you deserve it!
Don't be knockin' the Cavalier's. An Ecotec or a Twin Cam like mine will pull FAR better numbers than cars like those.
2.4L "Twin Cam" (2.4 4cylinder DOHC 16V)
2003 Honda Accord EX V6 - The new hotness
OverAllComa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
exman98
AF Enthusiast

ok to get this out in the open caviquirs suck ass.
not saying a civic is much better (but it really is)
even though your times were slow it is very respectable for your car.

I love out driving people.

"what's all those cylinders for anyway"
exman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:06 AM   #6
meberra
AF Newbie

i would of swore i won the first run cause he took off a lot later then i did and i past the line before he did plus at the bottom of the slip it says "Right 1st" (maybe i messed up my lights??) oh well, it was only my sec time out and im still learning. a little more practice and im sure i can get a little better with my reaction time. I guess i can try to hold one foot on the Brake and push in the gas a bit to get my rev to go up a bit for a better start.....
Old 06-22-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
SiGNAL748
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SiGNAL748 Send a message via MSN to SiGNAL748
I could've sworn tC's were at least 16 second cars. Does the Auto really slow it down THAT much? Whats the elevation over there?
Old 06-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
civicHBsi91
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to civicHBsi91
Re: Re: Re: Civic -vs- Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAllComa
Don't be knockin' the Cavalier's. An Ecotec or a Twin Cam like mine will pull FAR better numbers than cars like those.

But yet still have a really really hard time breaking high 14's with bolt ons and probably weight reduction too.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:31 PM   #9
OverAllComa
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Civic -vs- Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicHBsi91
But yet still have a really really hard time breaking high 14's with bolt ons and probably weight reduction too.
Actually it's not unheard of for a Cavvy with a Twin Cam equipped with the GM Eaton charger to break low 14's with full interior.

As far as w/o forced induction, I'd say some weight reduction and a swapping in various W41 (2.3L Quad4 HO...yes...GM was making 4-bangers pushing over 180 Horses in the late 80's and early 90's) parts along with high flow exhaust and it'll get into the high 14's/very low 15's quite easily.

Also, don't forget that the Twin Cam responds EXTREMELY well to both forced induction and spray. And if you're a loser like me and have a automatic, the Hydramatic 4T40E is a damn tank and will handle PLENTY of power as will the Getrag 5-speed in the manuals.

You can try to throw names around, kids, but at the end of the day a Twin Cam will, bolt on for bolt on, power-adder for power-adder, push more power than a lot of honda motors.

And if you still think that Honda motors are hands down better, then I'd reccomend you take a look at the NHRA rulebook and see which motor has the highest weight restriction placed upon it. A car with a GM Ecotec powerplant is REQUIRED to have more weight than any other type of FWD motor.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:13 PM   #10
TheRedPill
AF Newbie

Dude, talk about picking interests... WTF??? I have had MANY of friends with a crap-o-quier, and I GUARANTEE that they DO NOT even hold a ember, let alone a candle, to ANY import, including Korean imports, which I dislike very much. Are you aware that your car has a life of about 50k miles? There is a reason GM does not offer anything better than a 3/36 warranty. You must be living a fantasy to think that your POS could even be considered in the same realm as a Honda. The Crap-O-Quier is the 90's Chevette, duh. Are you aware that the company that made your POS has discontinued it, in favor of a bigger, more powerful Cobalt? What is the weather like on your planet? Sell you POS and buy a nice dinner for four...depending on how much gas is in the tank...
TheRedPill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #11
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec

Quote:
Are you aware that your car has a life of about 50k miles?
wow.

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
98' SVT Contour, 3L Port-Matched swap with SVT cams/full bolt ons; 224fwhp.
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
pre98zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
Gohan Ryu
AF Enthusiast

Sounds like theredpill needs to take thechillpill.
Gohan Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:06 PM   #13
OverAllComa
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Dude, talk about picking interests... WTF??? I have had MANY of friends with a crap-o-quier, and I GUARANTEE that they DO NOT even hold a ember, let alone a candle, to ANY import, including Korean imports, which I dislike very much. Are you aware that your car has a life of about 50k miles? There is a reason GM does not offer anything better than a 3/36 warranty. You must be living a fantasy to think that your POS could even be considered in the same realm as a Honda. The Crap-O-Quier is the 90's Chevette, duh. Are you aware that the company that made your POS has discontinued it, in favor of a bigger, more powerful Cobalt? What is the weather like on your planet? Sell you POS and buy a nice dinner for four...depending on how much gas is in the tank...
Okay...we'll go line by line.
1 - Ad hominem = useless. Fine a better argument tactic, kiddo.
2 - 50k miles, eh? Funny, my 1992 made it well past 140,000 and was still pulling like a bat out of hell when I sold it. My 97 just rolled over 100,000 and is just as strong as ever.
3 - You need to go re-read what GM offers on warranty's.
4 - Fully aware that the Cavalier is being discontinued. Are you, however, aware that the sunfire is still around a few more years and that the J-body platform has lasted longer than most platforms ever have while still maintaing very high sales? The J-Body has been around since the early 80's
5 - Chevette comparison is faulty. RWD vehicles and FWD vehicles = different car. Different frames, different everything....just plain different.
6 - You need to get your news straight, the Cobalt is not the Cavalier's replacement, the Cavalier has no replacement. J-Body served as the mid-tier entry level compact from GM. It's being replaced with the Aveo, a low-tier compact, and Cobalt, a high-tier compact.
7 - The weather is nice, kinda humid, though.
8 - I actually get between 25 and 30 mpg...so I don't know where you're going with this.

That said, I'd still like you to explain away NHRA weight requirements on the Ecotec.

To everyone else that's not insane - Listen, I really have nothing against Honda's at all. They're not bad cars, they're not my flavor, but to each his own. I say, "do your own thing." But please, remember, just because it's not your taste doesn't give you the right to bash a car that is actually quite reliable, quite zippy, and that is capable of challenging most other cars in it's class very successfully.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:17 AM   #14
exman98
AF Enthusiast

honda's have a longer life , more fuel efficiant, and better price than a cavi. no questions
i dont give a fuck about NHRA. we are talking about small engines here.
but like you said "to each thier own"
i can see why one would buy a caviler
i bought a civic because it was less expencive, low maintenace, and more fuel efficaint.

HP numbers mean very little to me becaue i have seen and taken part in beating car with more than 50 HP than me

I love out driving people.

"what's all those cylinders for anyway"
exman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:18 AM   #15
meberra
AF Newbie

Off topic like a mug... oh well good stuff

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Street/Track Racing Stories!