Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Latest News
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
HyundaiInvestigate
AF Newbie

Hyundai Sub-Frame Investigation

Hi All –

I work with a law firm that’s investigating claims of sub-frame defects in Hyundais manufactured between 2001 and 2004. The claim is that the sub-frame on these vehicles lack corrosion protection that can lead to premature decay. Corrosion issues can lead to dangerous conditions like steering control arm separation and steering loss, which can lead to accidents.

For those of you who may not know, the sub-frame sits under the engine between the front wheels, serves as the sole steering support for the vehicles and anchors the front suspension.

If you are a Hyundai owner, you can contact the law firm to join or learn more about this case. Please visit www.hbsslaw.com/hyundaisubframe. You can also call (602) 840-5900.
HyundaiInvestigate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HyundaiInvestigate For This Useful Post:
phillipshaw (05-08-2012)
Old 07-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
DSHornet
AF Newbie

Re: Hyundai Sub-Frame Investigation

Greedy, arrogant ambulance chasing opportunists. Only my opinion, of course!

Favorite saying:
"One need never apologize for exercising the Golden Rule"

DSHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
PlanetDude
AF Newbie

Call it what you will, but Hyundai Auto Canada where I live has admitted to this fault and replaced the sub-frame on my 99.

I received the notice on July 8, and the repair was scheduled for and completed on July 9th.

The guys at the dealership said it was the worst one they had seen yet, implying they had done a few.

The recall letter indicated that an "inspection and measurement" would be performed, if the frame was still within specification, drain holes would be added and the entire frame coated with anti-corrosion material. If the frame was found to be out of spec, a new sub-frame would be installed at no charge.

I don`t know what the US version is doing about this, if anything.

Ryan
PlanetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
DSHornet
AF Newbie

If the company has admitted the problem and is fixing it, then these foul snakes can crawl back into their holes.

They only want to enrich themselves at someone else's expense while doing nothing to justify their paycheck.

Favorite saying:
"One need never apologize for exercising the Golden Rule"

DSHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

After seeing this thread, I made a note to have a good look at the subframes on my 87 Hyundai Excel. I recently took the engine/tranny out to replace the clutch -- and found the front subframe to be quite rusty, but only rusted 'through' in one area on the bottom. I had to look closely to find evidence that the thing had been painted at all. The rear subframe is nicely coated in oil, from the leaky valve cover gasket; so hasnt rusted.
I am looking locally (far south Texas) for someone to sandblast it, then will weld a plate across the rusted through area. I will be putting rustoleum primer on it, by dipping it into a tank of the paint, then will spray it gloss black.
Its no wonder these little cars havent survived in large numbers: based on the shortcomings I see in mine. i.e. when it rains, the water would run off the roof, go between the shrunken window gasket and body of the car - and wind up in a puddle on the rear floor, around the rear strut towers. Mine was lucky enough to be kept under a carport most of its life.
And man-oh-man, would I like to find an aftermarket carburetor to use on it - in place of that complex and finicky Mikuni.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
phillipshaw
AF Newbie

Thank you for letting us know about this problem atleast we're not yet been accident because of this problem. So the problem is is caused of the law firm or its a fault of your bad design?

― Robert Frost
phillipshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Latest News