Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #76
347 ranger
AF Newbie

Re: Definition of big block vs. small block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lotus View Post
And your name implies you put a stroker crank into a 302 Windsor small block, and converted it into a -------big smallblock!
BTW, if you still have it, what is the buildup?

My ranger is a 1983 ranger it was a first year Ranger 4x4 that came with a 2.8 v6 and a C-5 automatic transmission! The stock 2.8 engine was never much to talk about so when my dad give the truck to me I decided to build a real engine! The engine is a scat 347 stroker kit with Wiseco pistons! the heads are a set of world Windsor heads with 194 intake valves and 1.60 exhausts headman ranger headers! The cam is a Comp 284 extreme energy!
Edelbrock torque intake and a 670 street avenger Carb!
I run 3.73 gears in and 8.8rear! the engine is mild 355 hp at 5500 rpm!
347 ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #77
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Glad to see you ditched the stock heads. They don't flow well.
Maybe next spring I'll install a Trick Flow upper end kit on my 93 Cougar with a 5.0 H.O.
Leave out the hot(ter) roller cam but install the heads, intake, some headers, roller rockers, etc.
Should be fun. Put some life in the car, and it only has 53K miles on it.
Already have the stuff, just need to put it on..
... waiting for the Washington State smog testing to expire--just in case it gets cranky.
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #78
347 ranger
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lotus View Post
Glad to see you ditched the stock heads. They don't flow well.
Maybe next spring I'll install a Trick Flow upper end kit on my 93 Cougar with a 5.0 H.O.
Leave out the hot(ter) roller cam but install the heads, intake, some headers, roller rockers, etc.
Should be fun. Put some life in the car, and it only has 53K miles on it.
Already have the stuff, just need to put it on..
... waiting for the Washington State smog testing to expire--just in case it gets cranky.
When my dad give me the ranger The first thing I seen was the tranny was a C5 This made the swap easy! I rebuilt the tranny with 5 red clutch discs in both front and rear pack and used a 147 tooth flex plate! and by spacing the Mustang II Bell housing to proper depth I use a pinto Converter for a factory high stall!
Old 09-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #79
347 ranger
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTStang View Post
the 302,351W,351C,351M, the always forgotten Ford 400(the missing link).

A 302 and 351W are small blocks. But also note that a 302 and a 351W are different blocks due to the 351W's taller deck height.
Now the 351C,351M, and Ford 400 are all actually the same block except that the 351M/400 have larger crank journals, also they are all big blocks.
The cleveland came first, then Ford wanted to use the block in trucks and passengers cars so the stroked it to 400 and changed the mains and ditched 4V heads. All this to make more torque at lower rpm's more suitable for a car/van/truck. Once the gas crunch hit they destroked the 400 back to 351. It was a modified 400 hence the name 351M.

I don't know about Chevy/Mopar etc.. but I know why Ford has such a messed up line is purely cause of History. Once you know the chronological order you understand.
if a Cleveland and a 400 are big blocks then how come the head off a 400 will bolt directly onto a 221! The Cleveland engine block is not the same as a 400! The 351 block has the same engine mounts and bell housing as a 302! the deck height of a 351 is 9.2 inches! The 400 has engine mounts that were compatible with the full size cars and the and the deck height is 10.3 inches!
400 bell housing bolt pattern is the same as 429 - 460! If you can take the head off a 400 and bolt it on to the 221 these engines are from the same family! The 400 is not a big block the only part that will fit a 400 from a big block is the bell housing!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #80
Mastercarpentry
AF Newbie

I just go with what people call them; I'm not going to re-invent the world. With Fords, there were both a small block 351W and a Cleveland-based 351M. Same displacement, 2 very different engines with almost zero parts interchangeability. And there was an entirely different 352 as well. Most Ford aficionados will refer to the 351 as either a Windsor (W) or a Modified (M) or sometimes calling that last one a "big block 351" even though it was never referred to as such by Ford. As long as everyone knows which engine you're talking about the point is rather moot about what you call it. BTW, a Ford 400 is the same basic block casting (but not interchangeable with) the 351M, and although they were based on the 351 Cleveland block design, there's almost no interchangeability there either.

The C6 trans you can find behind both of these comes with different bolt patterns for each and it comes in both a car and truck version with different gearing. It's a can of worms with Ford small-blocks with even cylinder heads which are from the same engine but different years fitting but not working correctly, and cylinder heads from different engines having the same issues when swapped out. Heck, most Ford V8's were like this- consider the several different 429's they made! Mid-year changes were common and even the crank, balancer, and flywheel/flexplate can be different with the exact same engine/drivetrain in the same model year. On old Chevys, if it bolts up it will probably work. With old Fords you have to know the details and what it takes to make things work right even if it bolts right up because it might work and it might not.

Just an old Ford nut here, I don't know a lot about the newer ones but I've got a 5.0 Mustnag roller-cam block running a near-stock 302 everything else because it works and that's what I was building with. Crappy heads have about 400K miles on them now with only new seals, springs, and retainers and they're still like new. Go figure, it's a Ford!

Phil
Mastercarpentry is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical