Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
Fat_Bastard
AF Newbie

Grounding on Trailer Shorting Out Vehicle

I bought a fixer-up utility trailer a few months ago (dirt cheap, which is why I bought in instead of a ready-to-go one). The wiring needed to be redone, and additionally there was no license plate light. I have bought and installed a couple, but now when I try to ground them, they short out. I've even tried grounding only one at a time, but it just does the same time. It blows a fuse on my vehicle, disabling the tail lights. I bought a pack of replacement fuses so that I can still drive my car.

I have tried grounding the license plate light in three places on the trailer - by each of the rear tail lights, and in the very front of the trailer next to the main ground wire. They all blow the fuse, no matter where I attach the ground. Right now, the grounds for both of the license plate lights are unattached.

Everything else on the trailer works without any issues.

If it's worth mentioning, my vehicle has independent turn signals and tail lights, whereas the trailer uses the same bulb for both. I bought a converter kit for the vehicle though, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Attached Images
File Type: png trailer_wiring_diagram.png (16.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Grounding on Trailer Shorting Out Vehicle

If the fuse blows when the grounds are connected, it has nothing to do with where you are connecting the grounds, it has to do with how you have the lights wired. It sounds like you have the bulb ground and one of the power wires reversed. The bulbs in your trailer have two filaments and, if they are 1157 or 2057 bulbs, two little bumps on the socket end. Each of those bumps go to one of the filaments, and both filaments are tied to the common metal base of the bulb. Somewhere it sounds like you have one of the wires for one of those "bumps" wired to ground. The parking lights work with the ground disconnected because the bulb is getting the ground through the second filament and the miswired connection that is currently shorted to ground.

If you are not willing to take the time with a continuity tester or a multimeter to figure out which bulb it is, buy a bunch of fuses, then pull all the bulbs, connect all of the grounds at all of the sockets, plug the trailer in with the lights on, then install bulbs one at a time until the fuse blows. Figure out the issue at that socket, then continue to the rest to see if it's only an issue with the one socket or multiple sockets.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

I'm with Rod on this one. You have something wired incorrectly. The only way grounding a wire would cause a fuse to blow is if that wire was powered. You don't even need a multimeter really, a test light would help track your issue.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Any of your lights LEDs? Those are polarity sensitive......
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

That wouldn't affect the fuse blowing though. People misinstall LEDs all the time and all that happens is the bulb doesn't work or is extremely dim.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
Fat_Bastard
AF Newbie

It turned out that the lightbulb was broken. I must have damaged it by accident, because it was brand new. Once I bought a replacement, everything worked.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Thank you for following up with what you discovered.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical