Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
Granttg
AF Newbie

running freezer in a cargo trailer.

Hello all,

I need help to set up and run a small chest-type freezer in my cargo trailer. the electrical stats for the freezer are as follows:

1.69A
12A start up
115V AC

My main goal is to run the freezer on car power (Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ tow package) while in transit, then shore power (AC) when parked. Transit time would rarely exceed 10hrs.

What is the best way to attack this? Thanks in advance for the help.
Granttg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: running freezer in a cargo trailer.

I tried this over a weekend - on local utility power- plugged into house---with doors closed on trailer- it does not work- gets too hot in trailer to adequately dissipate heat from freezer condenser coils- all my meat thawed and was unusable. So unless you can assure good outside air flow to your freezer condenser lines- forget it.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: running freezer in a cargo trailer.

This can totally be done, but it would take some fabrication and I seriously doubt that it can be done off your car's electrical system.
You'll probably need a small generator, obviously you can't just throw it in the trailer and fire it up, you would need secure it in one place with a gap or some sort of heat shield between the generator and the wall. You would also need to fabricate an exhaust system that pipes the exhaust outside. Another way would be if the tongue of the trailer is big enough, you could build a platform on it and bolt the generator to that. Then you wouldn't have to worry about a custom exhaust for the generator, just a small hole to run a cord through.
Also, as far as the heat issue goes, just keep the coils away from the wall so the heat can disperse and you should be fine. I've seen 2 large chest freezers mounted in the back of a GMC Topkick (large box truck) that also carried tools, electrical supplies, and a big industrial generator. There was a big enough gap between the coils and the walls so heat buildup was never an issue.
Of course whether you should do this or not depends on ambition and fabrication skill. Whichever way you do it, it's going to be quite a project and it will take some skill to do it right. If you can't quite pull it off, there's always dry ice!
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical