Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 05:24 AM   #1
Keyra_Bil
AF Newbie

Cold climate + Engine Coolant Temperature Indicator Symbol

Hi everybody!

I'm an owner of a Skoda Fabia 2007, Ambiente with a diesel engine. Lately, it has been very cold where I live. I've experienced a dead-battery a few times in the last months so I'm on my way to have a new one installed. But the problem I'm about to describe is something I've never experienced before:

Last Friday I put the key in the ignition, and waited a few second before I started the car. Before I had the chance to start the car the Engine Coolant Temperature Indicator Symbol blinked and piped three times. According to the car's manual, one of the three of the following, is the reason for this to happen:

1) The engine is dangerously warm 2) The cooling system is not properly filled 3) One of the fuses in the engine is blown.

However, I cannot see that in this case any of these explanations is valid. 1) The engine is not warm, it's cold outside and the line that indicates the temperature in the engine doesn't move from zero 2) I have checked and the cooling system is filled properly. 3) I checked the fuses, they're not blown.

I tried to start the car nevertheless but it wouldn't start, because of a dead car battery.

So basically, I have two questions:

A. Can there be a correlation between my dead-battery issue and the sudden blinking of the Engine Coolant Temperature Indicator Symbol? Can the Indicator blink because of the low outside temperature? I doubt it since it has been cold for a while now so why would this happen all out of sudden? I've experienced a dead battery a couple of times in the few months but this has never happened before.

B. Is it safe to jump-start the car in this state? As I told you earlier, I've made sure that the engine is not dangerously hot, the cooling system is filled and the fuses are not blown. If I could jump-start it I'd have the opportunity to drive it to the nearest garage.

Thank you for your time and patience!
Keyra_Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Mastercarpentry
AF Newbie

Re: Cold climate + Engine Coolant Temperature Indicator Symbol

Have you checked the fuses with a meter? Sometimes they will appear good but are blown at the end where it's not easily visible
Mastercarpentry is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical