Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
383stroker_1
AF Newbie

Question SBC 383 Stroker heads???

I figured I would ask this group seeing no one knows over in the Truck area. I am currently rebuilding a 69 SBC 350 4 bolt and making it into a 383 stroker. My problem is I have the choice of getting a set of mid 60s Camelback heads 194cc for nearly nothing, but I want to keep this motor fuel injected seeing its going in my 94 Chevy 1/2 (daily driver). I am guessing these heads will not work with my current intake (Edelbrock perfomer TBI). So, my quetion to you is should I go with the camelback heads and forget the fuel injection or find another set of heads that will work with my TBI set up? Does anyone know what brand and what set of heads will work for TBI? Open to all suggestions.
383stroker_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: SBC 383 Stroker heads???

327 heads ("double hump") were very good in their day. That was over in 1969. The 350 heads are far superior in unmodified form.

Compression ratio is a serious issue for such a modification. Keeping it under 9.5:1 will allow the use of straight 93 octane gas, where anything higher (with iron heads) must use either a REAL octane booster or mixing race gas into the pump gas. Not practical in either case.

Some of the better factory castings using 76 CC chambers (what you need for this) are:

487 or 487X

These are the last three digits in the casting number. All are 1.94" intakes, 1.5" exhausts (unmodified). They are also "heavy wall" castings, eliminating the nasty "crack when you sneeze on them" like the light duty 624s and 882s (there ARE "heavy" versions, but they don't flow as well as the above list).

For aftermarket heads, World Products has a "SR Torquer" that makes very good low-speed power, but is lacking over 4,500 with the 383.
For a very good iron replacement, consider Dart Iron Eagle. VERY good head. Flows well, good velocity, an all-around good street head.

For an RPM range under 5,500 (truck application), I would suggest Comp XE256H cam. For more RPM, use XE262H. Anything larger will deteriorate your low-speed power.

There may be a slight amount of bolt-hole work to get the TBI intake to bolt up. They don't need to be placed anywhere else, but the angle of the hole may need attention.

The modern "Vortec" head (a misnomer) is not a good choice for theTBI setup due to bolt holes and chamber volume.
The "late model" truck head ('87-'94, 193 casting) is a very good torque producer, and is the head the TBI intake is designed for. No top-end power from this head.

Does this help?
Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:30 AM   #3
383stroker_1
AF Newbie

That helps alot, Thanks. I will see what I can find for heads. I will leave those "camelbacks" alone.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:59 AM   #4
383stroker_1
AF Newbie

As far as the cam goes. I received a cam with my stroker kit I had bought from a guy who was going to put it into an 87 chevy. Its a Crane Power Max cam. Crane part # 270-114122 Grind # 2030. The specs are as followed:
Lift- .423"/.446"
Duration- 264 degree/274 degree
Duration @ .050" lift- 204 degree intake/ 214 degree exhaust
RPM range- 1500-4500
Would this cam work for my application or would I need to get a new cam? I believe this cam it ment for the 81-87 cars and 81-92 trucks. My block is a 69'. Whats the differances?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

That's a good "torque" grind. All small blocks use the same cam configuration until '87, when they began the change-over to hydraulic rollers. It will work fine in your early block.

You may wish to talk to an electronics expert about how it may affect the computer system.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
383stroker_1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: SBC 383 Stroker heads???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPbody
That's a good "torque" grind. All small blocks use the same cam configuration until '87, when they began the change-over to hydraulic rollers. It will work fine in your early block.

You may wish to talk to an electronics expert about how it may affect the computer system.

Jim
I am glad to here that this cam will work. Do you have anyone in mind I could contact for the computer issue? I was wondering that my self if the Stock computer was going to be enough for my 383 project. A freind of mine was telling me I may be able to get away with just having a chip burnt for my application.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:51 PM   #7
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Hello, 383 Stroker!

I did respond to your post in the truck section with much the same advice mrpbody has given you. He is one of the most knowledgeable people in the forum.

Best tech I know for computer issues is Scott Brown with Van Gordon and Brown in Claremont, California. They do consulting for NASCAR teams and make my friend Dick Guldstrand's six-figure supercharged 427 small-block 'Vettes fast and smog-legal.

Scott has all the GM software, Clayton dyno, etc. I'm sure he can tell you what to expect given the specs of your prospective cam. He custom-tuned my 383's computers to work with my equipment combination; don't know if or what he charges for a 'phone consultation, but he really knows his stuff!
'Phone number is (909) 626-5232. Tell him Jim Smith, 1990 Suburban 383 sent you.

Good luck!
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #8
Whitey383
AF Newbie

I have just had a 383 built for my 1990 chevy short bed truck. I used the original tbi 350 that is In it. I got the eagle crank and rods and piston set internally balanced. Went with a comp 256 cam and stock heads. I have a stage 2 jet performance chip, headers no cat. I only have about 100 miles on it so I haven't redlined it yet but getting on the highway accelerating to 55mph it pulls really good. I also have the k&n air filter. Does anyone have a idea on what I should try as a red line when I get it broke in?
Whitey383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
Black Lotus
AF Regular

My guess is 5500 for the redline, and maybe 5000 as a shift point.
The stock valve springs limit your maximum engine speed.
The increased displacement tends to drive the power peak RPMs down, as do the weaseley stock heads.
Sounds like the plan for a truck tho.
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #10
Whitey383
AF Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I want to keep the tbi but would like a little more power. Would porting the stock heads and maybe bigger exhaust valves be a good way to do it? Also I'd like to get a limited slip or posi rear end. I'd like to find one out of another truck or car I guess that I could just swap. Does anyone know what vehicle would be a direct replacement to fit my 1990 5 lug Chevy truck
Whitey383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
Black Lotus
AF Regular

I wouldn't waste money modifying stock heads, unless it is just cleaning up the area downstream of the valves (pocket porting)--done while doing a stock rebuild.
I'd go to a conservatively sized dual exhaust before anything else.
Keep your low end torque up!
Makes for a more pleasing car to drive.
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical