Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
rickapl
AF Newbie

So I almost crashed my car at the track. Video included

So this weekend I learned the hard way how autocross doesn't always transition well into track driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l-Y7...5otni_6NVav11M

After auto-crossing my crx for 2 years I felt comfortable trail braking in to get it to rotate around the sharp corners of and autocross. At relatively low speeds it was very manageable, with the only consequence being a big drift now and then and a slow lap time.

Then I got on the track, a wet Nelson Ledges to be more specific, in my short wheel base crx. It was the end of the first session and I was building speed and confidence until it almost sent me into a tire wall. Yes there were many factors that added up to this mistake, one of which has to do with poor brake bias,but I know it was in part driver error because I went the rest of the day, which alternated from soaking wet to full dry, without another big slide in turn entry until the very last lap of the day. As you can see in the video I initiated my turn in while still on the brakes, and in these conditions and this car it sent me straight off the track.

So while autocross teaches you great car control you must always remember that the driving techniques that you use at high speed changes dramatically. Thats a lesson Ill never forget.
rickapl is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General