Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #1
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Most People Do Not Like Wide/Low-Profile Tires, Article Comments Suggest

Most People Do Not Like Wide/Low-Profile Tires, Article Comments Suggest:

In the comment section of this article:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/...re-size-213549

Many drivers actually want to minus-size the tire & wheel combos on their late-model cars, citing harsh ride and jittery handling associated with factory 19" & up wagon wheels!
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:46 AM   #2
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Most People Do Not Like Wide/Low-Profile Tires, Article Comments Suggest

What I find interesting is that marketing people think that folks LIKE the look of all that wheel (and very little tire) and react positively (that is, buy a car) based on the way that looks. I don't think they are wrong. I think it is only later that SOME folks figure out the folly of that reaction - and by then it is too late.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #3
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Most People Do Not Like Wide/Low-Profile Tires, Article Comments Suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
What I find interesting is that marketing people think that folks LIKE the look of all that wheel (and very little tire) and react positively (that is, buy a car) based on the way that looks. I don't think they are wrong. I think it is only later that SOME folks figure out the folly of that reaction - and by then it is too late.
We are in a highly looks-driven century now, where appearances and 'attitude' often supercede practicality, functionality, and even safety and basic common sense.

Look at a typical kid's clothing commercial on TV, especially right before school begins. It seems these stores and advertisers are treating school itself like a place to impress and to be impressed - a runway or catwalk lined with lockers instead of a place of interaction and learning! Emulate the Kardashians! Chrome rims as high as the Empire State Building!

WTH is wrong with us lately, as a society?
Old 03-03-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingOnRailz View Post
..... WTF is wrong with us lately, as a society?
If we are going to list the things that are wrong about society, the first step is to list the things that are wrong about human beings - and this topic is more about that than the collective term "society".

Ever hear of "Keeping up with the Joneses"? That was all about appearance. The concept is NOT a recently phenomenon.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #5
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Most People Do Not Like Wide/Low-Profile Tires, Article Comments Suggest

Quote:
If we are going to list the things that are wrong about society, the first step is to list the things that are wrong about human beings - and this topic is more about that than the collective term "society".

Ever hear of "Keeping up with the Joneses"? That was all about appearance. The concept is NOT a recently phenomenon.
Well then I guess I've never been as inclined as others in that "Joneses" regard.

My 'ancient' iPhone 5, Wranglers jeans, and high-profile tires perform their purposes for me more than satisfactorily. Nor do I need the largest and latest flat screen TV, curved at that - for who knows what purpose! lol My entire stereo/surround sound setup predates Monica Lewinsky, btw, and sounds just fine.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:40 AM   #6
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingOnRailz View Post
Well then I guess I've never been as inclined as others in that "Joneses" regard.

My 'ancient' iPhone 5, Wranglers jeans, and high-profile tires perform their purposes for me more than satisfactorily. Nor do I need the largest and latest flat screen TV, curved at that - for who knows what purpose! lol My entire stereo/surround sound setup predates Monica Lewinsky, btw, and sounds just fine.
Well, I could point out that my stereo predates Monica Lewinsky's BIRTH, but that is just oneupsmanship.

But bringing us back to the topic - low profile tires - if you go back far enough, the aspect ratios of tires available was as high as 100%. At what point should we start calling them low profile? When I was a lad, 70 series was considered low profile - and there were the same complaints about those. It's all a matter of perspective.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, I could point out that my stereo predates Monica Lewinsky's BIRTH, but that is just oneupsmanship.

But bringing us back to the topic - low profile tires - if you go back far enough, the aspect ratios of tires available was as high as 100%. At what point should we start calling them low profile? When I was a lad, 70 series was considered low profile - and there were the same complaints about those. It's all a matter of perspective.

I personally would not go below 60-series section tires if buying a car from 2010 or later. I don't know if that qualifies as 'low' profile, perhaps 55- and under? I've heard the praises and read mostly positive reviews for GM's F-40 suspension option - available in the 1970s-'80s, and the lowest profile tire I think used with it was 70 series. One review suggested that the F-40 should be standard on GM's mid-size and more cumbersome full-sized letter code bodies of that era.

Thanks for pointing out that it is a longer term trend, going back at least 30 years, but not a good trend. I like the heavier steering feel associated with a combination of higher profile tires, sensible power steering boost(not so much that it feels like a video game wheel!), and good suspension geometry(caster, SAI, scrub radius, etc). And one should not have to buy a 'status' mobile to get all that.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
high , profile , tires
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels