Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #31
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc
Re: Machining Discussion-Lathes, Mills, CNC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
Giovanni, if you cannot illustrate your problems through words, how about a few pictures of the problem? There a phrase, a picture is worth a thousand words, and everyone can understand pictures no matter what language they speak.
Well I've some news: just a couple hours and I'll post images, but I guess I still using crap tools: they cost approx. 25 usd for a dozen: today I purchase 1 only tool from a professional supplier for 15 eurs! It SHOULD be better. And note: it's the chaper one, they show me some composite tools w/out seamed bit, with iterchangeable bit with a cut wide from .5 to 2 mm, fantastic, oly a thing: 125 usd (105 eurs approx.)

Well now I've a quick commitment with my lazy fat dog, and at 6 pm my brother il law (who is a professional mech.) will show me something on my crap.

So this night I'll post something new.

Cinqster> thanks you, yes its the great link from Mike.

89Audi: impressive! Someone sell here a CNC kit, only step motors anc controllers but the cost (w/out frame) is more than 2000. Also Proxxon (whic I own the little mill) sell a kit for my kind mill, I saw at Milan Hobby Show but isn't already realiable. Your project man is fantastic: make a kit for AF members, I think a lot of us could be happy to pay it double.

Mike> pict until the night
Old 02-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #32
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89audiQT
well, here's a little information from my end, so take it as you will.

being as young as i am, i've never stopped learning things i've ever had an interest in. machining hasn't been an option yet, but i had built a DIY 2-axis (just X and Y, Z was controlled manually) CNC mill while i was in college.

There are alot of very detailed guides around the 'net that show how to build one with a dremel or rotozip-like tool. because of the nature of the project (and my course being in electrical engineering) i merely scratch built the motor controllers for the project. the rest of the thing was made out of legos and old vcr/floppy drive parts. once completed, it was capable of etching/engraving just about anything.

granted, it's not the best way to go, but in alot of cases, it gets the job done fine for things like wheels, flat or near flat body panels, etc. small details were a pain though and not worth the effort. and i mean small details, like smaller than lugnut details on a rim.

there are numerous programs available from sourceforge and universities alike, for free, that can transform anything from ZModeler files and Solid Works CAM exports, into vertex/3D line drawings, that will then control your home-built mill.

there is time and money involved, but, as an avid hobbyist in many areas, i plan on building a more complex one this coming summer. my targeted range for paying for everything, is roughly going to be in the neighborhood of $200 (USD) and should be able to knock out rims, brake disks (vented, slotted, and drilled), and other things of that nature.

it's really not as difficult as it sounds, and everything is so cheap, that replacing parts would just mean a short trip to a garage sale or maybe even your own garage for some junk parts, which alot of people just have laying around without knowing it.

anyway, when i can dig up some pictures of it and the pieces i created, maybe someone will find interest in it (short of spending $3000 for a table-top lathe or mill).
That's sounds really interesting, please keep us (or at least me ) posted, can't wait to see some pics!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:36 PM   #33
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Well some updates from my "lathe odessy" : I just haven't any tool now! My brother in law keep all my tools to grinding those!!! He learn me also abt the longitudinal metric scale, and some other stuff: so nothing lathe games for a couple days! Today I also replace my broken mill 1mm bit: this become to be a quetly expencive sub-hobbye!! Well, friends, not tools, not pics! Hoping to have something tomorrow night.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #34
89audiQT
AF Newbie

gionc - after the project was done, i gave it to a friend, and he now uses it to etch glass and plexi for windows, computer cases, and all sorts of stuff. the main reason for getting rid of it after i was graded on my work was so i could get hyped up enough to build a newer, bigger, better one. maybe even a tri-axial cnc. i've come across many hurdles i'm sure can be overcome easily. i can think of 101 better ideas to spend 3000, like finish restoring my audi.

Thesaint111 - unfortunately, for me and the position i have where i work, anything i build electronics-wise can't be openly distributed (with fear from the company that i maybe devulging trade secrets through such projects) unless they think it can't hurt them any. it's pretty tough to do, and the process is pain-stankingly long. however, i'm gonna quit that job because my co-workers suck and seem to like placing the majority of the workload on me. so, by the summertime, once i leave that crap job and start doing something else, i'll be back to building and distributing all sorts of useful and insane electronics projects. My ultimate goal is to get some step-by-step, pic-by-pic instruction guides to building such things, and easy enough that anyone could do themselves. free seems to ring a nice tone in the ears of hobbyists everywhere, as well.

pretty much, i'd prefer to build my own stuff, not only so that i have something useful around, but also have the satisfaction of, "Hey, i built this thing myself . . . i'm a hobbyist through and through." either that, or i'm just some an insane, maniacal electrical engineer with nothing better to do.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #35
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89audiQT
gionc - after the project was done, i gave it to a friend, and he now uses it to etch glass and plexi for windows, computer cases, and all sorts of stuff. the main reason for getting rid of it after i was graded on my work was so i could get hyped up enough to build a newer, bigger, better one. maybe even a tri-axial cnc. i've come across many hurdles i'm sure can be overcome easily. i can think of 101 better ideas to spend 3000, like finish restoring my audi.

Thesaint111 - unfortunately, for me and the position i have where i work, anything i build electronics-wise can't be openly distributed (with fear from the company that i maybe devulging trade secrets through such projects) unless they think it can't hurt them any. it's pretty tough to do, and the process is pain-stankingly long. however, i'm gonna quit that job because my co-workers suck and seem to like placing the majority of the workload on me. so, by the summertime, once i leave that crap job and start doing something else, i'll be back to building and distributing all sorts of useful and insane electronics projects. My ultimate goal is to get some step-by-step, pic-by-pic instruction guides to building such things, and easy enough that anyone could do themselves. free seems to ring a nice tone in the ears of hobbyists everywhere, as well.

pretty much, i'd prefer to build my own stuff, not only so that i have something useful around, but also have the satisfaction of, "Hey, i built this thing myself . . . i'm a hobbyist through and through." either that, or i'm just some an insane, maniacal electrical engineer with nothing better to do.
Looks like there's some passion in this guy! Well cant wait to see your own site, with tons of electr. how-toos. "free seems to ring a nice tone in the ears of hobbyists everywhere, as well."
And also seem you own a Quattro, if yes lucky you, great car.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #36
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionc
Well some updates from my "lathe odessy" : I just haven't any tool now! My brother in law keep all my tools to grinding those!!! He learn me also abt the longitudinal metric scale, and some other stuff: so nothing lathe games for a couple days! Today I also replace my broken mill 1mm bit: this become to be a quetly expencive sub-hobbye!! Well, friends, not tools, not pics! Hoping to have something tomorrow night.
gionc,

Please keep us informed as to your findings...I'm probably only a couple of days behind you in finding the same problem!

Another useful website is here - lots of info on tool grinding too.
http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm

A word of warning on your Chinese lathe. If your b-i-l looks at the machine he will probably suggest removing some backlash (slop) out of the cross-slide. This can be done by VERY carefully adjusting a combination of the 2 x M4 and 1 x M3? allen bolts. The bolts screw to a brass nut under the cross-slide and the nut tilts around on the centre smaller bolt - the more tilt the less slop. This nut is very soft brass and it's really easy to strip the threads. The thread was only half there on mine from new so I ordered a new one immediately when I was taking mine apart.

Good luck,
Old 02-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #37
p9o1r1sche

chinese lathe? mini-lathe.com
Old 02-22-2006, 01:09 AM   #38
bvia
AF Enthusiast

giovanni,
from your description it sounds like you're simply trying to turn the metal down to too small of a diameter, unsupported. The force of the cutter is actually collapsing the diameter of the metal. Try using a follower to help with the smaller stuff. Also using collets (as opposed to a 3 or 4 jaw chuck) will help support the really tiny stuff. I've been able to machine valve stems in 1:24th scale using collets and carbide tipped cutters.

hth,
Bill
Old 02-22-2006, 01:14 AM   #39
bvia
AF Enthusiast

I thought Proxxon was a German company????
Old 02-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #40
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Well, a couple of news, 1 good, the other bad. This first post'll be the good new: I achieve some lathe works for my 360 challange, now I have my sharpened tools (cutters) and probably I fix the small diam. bug: 1- better to use a side cutter, 2- I haven't a "height" (tall) adjustement of the tool tower, I need to fine-adjust the height for every kind of cutter with some plate. 3 Ihave a bit of experience (well just a week, too small to turn great stuff, but enought to enjoy my lathe

So far what I done:

MPWR inspiring!!! oil filter by lathe&mill

shock abs. (spring courtesy by acustion enzo set)
Old 02-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #41
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Bad news: rotating table (very little table..) well from the begin I've got a problem with those, a sort of wrong alignement, every time I note a strange thing, like if the rot.table put my piece not at 90°. If I try to touch the piece with the mill-end and turn the table, somewhere I have a gap, somewhere the bit touch the piece. I try a lot of time with various pece, every the same, every the same angle, the piece isn't parallel to the mill z-axis.

Idea! I try to unmount my table! Well at least I discover the bug, probably the black ring nut wasn't perfectly orizontal...
Well now I'm not able to re-mount, I need a cylinder like a spark-plug key, well is better to me if I ask some advice to you before I've an hammer in the hand, some pics:

Old 02-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #42
gionc
Authorized Vendor

last pict: the black ring touch the top, if those isn't perfectly orizzontal, all the assembly turn a little from the z-axis
Old 02-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #43
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

I didnt know you had a mill too! Lucky. Nice work so far. For your problem about needing shims to adjust your tools so they are centered, look for an adjustable tool post.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
Old 03-01-2006, 02:05 AM   #44
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionc
Bad news: rotating table (very little table..)
I think that's a 3-jaw self-centering scroll chuck, rather than a rotating table.

The black ring looks like nothing more than a spring clip. Either thread it on or use a large socket to lightly tap it on.

As to the lathe tooling, you might also be able to find a "rocker" toolpost or an adjustable tool holder. I have 4 adjustable (for tool height) ones that came with my quick change tool post made by A2Z. 1 for a boring bar, 1 for a cutoff tool and 2 for standard tools (I use carbide tipped).

hth,
Bill

Last edited by bvia; 03-01-2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:05 AM   #45
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex

I am so proud of this set I made for a friend I just had to post this picture

The set was made for a 1/12 scale Lotus 33. It includes the 4 wheels, 4 hubs and working wheels nuts, 2 rear shocks, 2 exhaust outlets and 5 instrument gauges including the clear glass covers.

I have made a few free sets for people here on AF and am seriously considering making 2 sets of everything when I super detail my kits. That will leave me with a full set to sell to someone each time. I don't want to make a business out of it but it would be nice to help pay for my hobby spending habit (damn you HLJ!!! )

I'm looking at my Tamiya 1/20 FW07.....40 parts so far and counting..... !!!

What do you all think?
Thanks

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools