Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
hakkfan
AF Regular

What I would like to see.......

Is more in-progress pics of parts being made. I've been working with a Sherline lathe for about a year and half now, and learn every time I use it. But to me, I can learn a lot more by seeing how others are actually making the parts. It's cool to see the part when it's finished, but the steps to get there are the most important to me. And the more I machine, the more I understand how important planning is.

Like Mike and Andy have done, I plan to upgrade to the mill column and rotary table in the future. Right now it is all I have room for. Eventually I'd love to have a stand alone mill but I don't see that happening anytime soon. And I know once I get into milling I'm going to have a million more questions for Mike than I did when I got ready to get the lathe.

So I guess to me, I'd love to see Mike, or Andy, or robrex, show how they turn and machine some of those parts from start to finish.

ClayK
Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: What I would like to see.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkfan
So I guess to me, I'd love to see Mike, or Andy, or robrex, show how they turn and machine some of those parts from start to finish.
And that's what we'd love to see from you, too!

We hear you, but we simply cannot do it alone. The big difference between the Car Modeling section and this forum is that while CM literally has hundreds of members, we've only got about a dozen people here. That means that if this section is to become what we all want it to be, no one here can afford to sit back and just be a consumer- we all have to contribute stuff, too.

You've got a lathe? Great! What have you made?? Put it in the gallery!! It doesn't matter if you feel like you have less experience than others, or what you've made is somehow less impressive than someone else might have done. We need your contributions. Can you explain how you did something? Then take some pics, write out some explanation, and post a tutorial or how-to. It doesn't matter how simple it is, we all have to start somewhere. Showing simple stuff is every bit as useful and interesting as showing more advanced stuff. (Don't know how do make a machining how-to? Neither do we! It all has to be made up as we go along!)

One problem with machining as a hobby is that we all kind of do it in a vacuum. Few if any of us have mentors of any sort. Mostly we just figure it out ourselves as we go along. Some of us figure different things and different ways than others. As a result, we all have things to learn from one another. But to get this to work, we all have to share what we can.

Mike and I aren't experts on machining. We may be the 'provisional authorities' here, but that's really because we screamed to admin loud and long enough to get this little sandbox- and now we're trying to figure out how to get it to work. Robrex and Scalemaster haven't yet chosen to join our party. But meanwhile, none of us are experts. And we're all here to learn. We started this forum not to show off what we know, but because we're desperate to learn more!

Cheers to Gio today for starting to walk us through his lathe rebuild. He's no expert on it, but he can tell you alot more about it than Mike or I can, because we haven't done it. He'll learn something (probably alot) from the process. Hopefully, we'll all learn something from watching. Maybe one or more of us can offer him some guidance, or at least ideas to help him. And meanwhile the forum gets another little bit richer for the exchange of information.

I'm trying to write up a how-to, just to have a first one posted here. I spent a couple of hours working on it yesterday, but when all was done it turns out that more than half of the pics I took were unusable- I still have to learn how to take pics of things I'm working on! So I'm still working on it (but I'd be thrilled of someone else manages to beat me to having the first tutorial or how to here!).

I'm going to continue to contribute everything I can here. But I'm finding it takes time. It could be a year or more before I have a good handful of how-to's and other stuff to show. If someone here can show how they've made a set of dampers and someone else a muffler, maybe I can show how I've made a set of brake rotors or a distributor. But I cannot do it alone. This place is going to be pretty boring as the 'everything MPWR knows about machining show'.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Hey Clay! Great to see you on board, havent heard from you in awhile. Give me a call sometime.

Anyway, I digress. I have several "in-progress" shots that I will try to post up later this evening if time permits. Some of the shots are difficult to take as I only have two hands and could use four!

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
hakkfan
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
Hey Clay! Great to see you on board, havent heard from you in awhile. Give me a call sometime.

Anyway, I digress. I have several "in-progress" shots that I will try to post up later this evening if time permits. Some of the shots are difficult to take as I only have two hands and could use four!
Hey buddy, I've been around. Since BAD closed down I've done more posting over here than I used too. Check the WIP and Completed sections. I've got a few things going or finished over there.

I'm glad you guys have taken the plunge and brought all this out in the open. Everyone usually has the opinion that if someone has a lathe or a mill, it instantly turns out perfect parts. There's a lot of skill and knowledge involved too, and if people can all pool their ideas together here, it will only help us all. I'm looking forward to learning and helping where I can. I'm still pretty much a rookie at machining, but I love the challenge of it, and seeing the reward when a part comes out like you planned.

I know what you mean Andy, and I admire you for stepping up and getting the ball rolling. You won't be alone for much longer. I can see this area thriving in no time. And I'll do what I can to pull my weight too.

See you in a few weeks Mike!

ClayK

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools