Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ferrari > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
jackmalone2001
AF Regular

I have a few questions...

Hello to all!!

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1983 Ferrari Mondial for a song. I have priced the Mondials for this period and like what I hear about re-sale value. My questions begin with....

a. In the research I have done I have found out that this car needs a new front timing chain, and has some bent valves. Is this a project that a capable home mech' can handle?
b. I have tried to search the web for parts...any tried and true places with an ONLINE catalog?

I have been working on my own car for some time and am familiar with Detroit iron. Where my issues lie, is that I have never SEEN a Ferrari engine, let alone replaced valves and chains, on such works of art.

If any can give some insight I would appretiate it.

Thanks!!!

Jack

after:
jackmalone2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
My advice would be to find a car that is in excellent working condition and has had its most recent service completed by a highly qualified and competent Ferrari mechanic. No sense in going through hasles you shouldn't have to.

Check out ferrarichat.com for more in depth advice.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
johnyrengo
AF Enthusiast

Ya I'd recomend posting the same question at http://www.ferrariforum.com/. Most of the guys there own ferraris, and a few have worked on them. You're gonna have a hard time finding anyone here with that kind of knowledge and experience.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
CraigFL
AF Regular

Re: I have a few questions...

The previous answers were good advice. A Mondial has a timing belt not a chain. You should be able to change belts with the engine in the car -- normally.... but, if you have bent valves, etc from the broken/slipped belt, you will need to take the engine out to remove the heads for repair. Count on spending at least $2000 in parts plus all your labor. It could run even higher depending on how many valves you bent, pistons or cams you trashed and damage that was done. Even a 1983 Mondial Cab in good+ condition would only be about $25K and you could drive it to confirm the real condition. For that one, if they have ALL the paperwork to verify the prior condition, would probably only be worth about $12K and less if they don't.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ferrari > General Discussion