Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 12:47 AM   #16
chet1962
AF Newbie

With my 2000 Tacoma STD Cab, 2.4 4Cyl have had a knocking problem since I first purchased the vehicle. USUALLY it occurs only when the truck is COLD and for the first few minutes after starting. However, recently I have noticed that it also occurs (on occasion) even when it is hot out. Have brought the truck in to the dealer, they simply say that it sounds better than most.

The sound is kinda like, to me, that the engine is not being timed right by the computer or it is not getting the proper lubricant to the Top-end.

It really feels to me that the dealers know the problem, but they feel that it is in their interest to keep tight lipped on this one.

By the way, I had a 1986 Toy Trk 2x4, it had way more torque and much better gas mileage.

Cheers!

p.s., Any advise on problem or possible RECALLS?
chet1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 10:05 PM   #17
Mac8008
AF Newbie

Maybe you should use a higher octane.
Mac8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:02 PM   #18
Jeff Vought
AF Newbie

I think most of us have tried higher octane and it hasn't helped with this annoying problem.

Jeff
Old 09-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #19
Jeff Vought
AF Newbie

Chet,

Couldn't agree with you more on the 2x4. Them things really run compared to the 2.7 these days. I miss the 22r and 22re motors. I thought when I purchased my newer toyota with the 2.7 that I would have all kinds of power and man was I wrong. This thing is a dog compared to the 4x4 with the 22R in it too.

Sometimes things are better left alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Jeff
Old 10-07-2003, 09:49 AM   #20
christineb
AF Newbie

Angry Tacoma defect

I've notice people having a rattling noise with the 2002 Tacoma.
Well about a week ago my 2002 4cl 4x4 Tacoma started to rattle.
About 20 miles later, the car seized and the engine shifted and was undriveable. Still under warranty, I took it to the dealer and due to a
"defective bolt" Toyota is replacing the engine, or so they say.
Now I'm told that they are reusing the original parts and don't plan on
extending the warranty. I'm finding out more and more people are having problems and Toyota is well aware of the defective parts.

ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM ???? Do I have any recourse??
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 04:01 PM   #21
Cam.P
AF Newbie

It is unclear to me what happened to your Tacoma. Did the engine seize then break a motor mount bolt? If you describe the sound as a rattle as opposed to a hollow thudding, I supect you are talking about a different noise than I experienced or perhaps the rattle develops after the thudding sound. Did your sound come all at once or did it develop over time? It certainly seems the dealer is not giving you a very clear explanation of what the problem is. Perhaps Toyota doesn't want it to get around. You are lucky you have a clear problem and are still under warranty unlike other in this post who can't get any satisfaction. Depending on what failed, I would possibly be concerned about:If it is a piston seizure, your cylinder block will have to be bored to accomodate oversize pistons. The dealer would probably have to send this work out to a machine shop. I am surprised they would want to take the time to tear the engine down themselves as opposed to just getitng a new engine from Toyota. The downside is that your engine will be overbored, but if done correctly not really a big deal. The upside is that the machine shop might do a better job of fitting the pistons to the new bores than the factory. Unfortunately, this would be hard to monitor unless you know the reputation of the machine shop used or can stand over them and know the procedure and specifications for fitting. Get more clear information on what the problem is and what they are doing to resolve it. If you don't like it demand to see the regional rep. Call your state attorney general and see what laws may affect this. Private law suits are a pain as you might imagine.
Cam.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:51 PM   #22
rutti
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl engine knocking

I own a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 extended cab with the 2.7Liter 4 cylinder, and as of what seems recent (perhaps the colder weather?), the rapping that is coming from my motor was looked at by the best mechanic I know. It is intermittent, but when it occurs, it will carry on as much as 10 minutes max before it diminishes into the background, although I am fairly certain it is still there. The mechanic put a pressure gauge in place of the idiot light and oil pressure at idle was @ 23lbs. It exceeded 80 lbs. when revved. We then removed the spark plug, inspected the combustion chamber, and all looked fine in there. Using a headset, and amplified microphone, was able to localize the noise to the front of the motor, in the region of #1 cylinder, in the head area, and not in the block, however I make no generalization as to this knocking problem be isolated to only one type of failure. This noise is mechanical, and seems to be the result of metal to metal contact, but its location does necessitate disasseembling the top end in my case so I will first approach the dealership to document the complaint with them. I am completely disheartened by the experiences of this forum, and expect no satisfaction with the dealership in truly solving this issue. But one thing is certain, and that is that it "is" a problem now, and I will fix it one way, or the other. I will keep this forum posted on my progress as I think we all agree as to why we own a Toyota, and this issue has me feeling shorted on the key reason, "reliability, and long lasting".
Symptoms:
* Happen when cold or hot
*Rpm consistent with others-1000-2000
*replace oil filter-no change(suspect bad check valve function)
* no skipping or rough running at idle or in motion
* 93 octane since new
* spark plugs are burning even(all) and good temperature
* no cooling issues ever
rutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:55 PM   #23
Jeff Vought
AF Newbie

Yes, please let us know. I haven't done a thing with mine. I'm depending on Toyota to treat me fair since they told me its been "documented." Whether or not they will is one thing. The noise I heard seems to be getting slightly worse so in time I'm sure something is going to go.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:53 PM   #24
mudpaws02
AF Newbie

I have had the same problem with my 2.7 Taco. I know this may sound crazy but i ran 2 bottles of techron in the fuel tank and havent heard the noise since, that was about 2 or 3 months ago. I run techron additive every oil change and i find it vital in these motors. No, i am not a sales person for Chevron Techron but this is 1 additive that really does work. I also suggest you avoid excessive idling in these motors, they build up carbon to easily.
mudpaws02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:01 PM   #25
Jeff Vought
AF Newbie

mudpaws02,

Where do you get Techron? Did your engine make a dieseling sound like cheap gas in it?

Jeff Vought
Old 12-08-2003, 06:30 PM   #26
mudpaws02
AF Newbie

You can get techron in most auto part stores, like pep boys. Yes, my engine made like a deiseling sound for the first min or so upon morning start-up or if the engine was off for like 4 hours or so. It was very loud and could not be missed. The additive is called chevron techron. I am not one for additives but this stuff really does work.
mudpaws02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:50 AM   #27
Dreamer_
AF Newbie

My 02 Tacoma 2.4 had an engine noise and at 24K the dealer had to replace the engine. First Diag.-Scorched rings. Sec. Diag.-Valve problem.
Final diag. Cyl. out of round. The last one makes more sense to me. Anyway, they replaced it.

Just so you will all know ....
Make SURE to keep very good oil change records! That will be their first tool against you in making it look like it's your fault. They tried it with me. I knocked that out quick.
Dreamer_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:57 PM   #28
Godethelena5
AF Newbie

Hi! After reading all of your responses and having had a couple of laughs I need to tell yas that i just got through speaking to a master machanic about the Knocking sound in our 1998 Toyota Camry, 2.2 liter, 4 cylinder car. He stated that there have been problems with this year car, Carbon can build up inside the chambers and cause the Knocking sound especially if the piston starts hitting it. The solution to the problem is having the engine scoped and look for the carbon, IF ANY, and then what they do is somtimes rev the engine until the knock stops, or to place solvent , such as gum out, to break up the carbon. Another thing that he said the knocking noise could be due from the engine balancer weight, which lies under the oil pan when its removed. Said it could be off key and causing the knocking sound. The last thing that he stated and is the most costly for this Knocking noise, was that you threw a bearing and it needs replacing. The bearing problem is usually caused by somthing else going wrong with the engine, such as lack of oil, dirt in the oil, placed together wrong, tourched wrong, etc; I am pleased to be able to leave you people with this tid-bit of info. We still need to find a solution to our problem with the Knocking, but have a certain track to follow right now.
Godethelena5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:16 PM   #29
TacomaPilot
AF Newbie

Out of curiosity, how often do you all change your oil in your Tacoma's? I've seen the book say 5000 miles, but I prefer to stick to 3000, especially for the change in seasons.

I have a 2002 2.7 that I bought used last year with about 13,000 miles. One year and 10,000 miles later no problems. I do always use Chevron gas and I've used the Techron Fuel Injection Cleaner that was referred to earlier at each oil change. Again not a Chevron saleman, just tried the different types of gas and have had no problems with the Chevron. Shop around a bit if you buy the Techron cleaner though. Out west I found the price range from $3 to $10 for the same item. I think Schucks was the cheapest.
TacomaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:32 PM   #30
OBATDDSD
AF Regular

Hey everyone...
I feel for you all. nothing worse than weired noises from your truck and the dealer don't have a straight answer. I have a 95 2.7 and I've never heard knocking from my engine. The only thing it drops dead at idle in commute traffic once a year. Then it start right up. change oil religiously and run gas treatment twice a year. just switched to amsoil. Just had the valves adjusted at 145,000 due to a routine compresion check. a starter and a battery. best reliable truck I ever had.
OBATDDSD is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma