Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
FastTeen
AF Regular

Question can a 96 cobra rear end internals fit in my 84 svo housing?

i need a new rear end for my 84 SVO mustang and one of my friends told me he was going to look at this 96 cobra this guy was parting out(he's looking to put the trans on his 86 GT w/ a 306ci, GT40 heads an E cam).
i asked him if he could see how much he wanted for the rear end, brakes and wheels. but the thing is would the cobra diff. fit inside my SVO's rear diff. housing???
also would i be able to use the axle shafts with or with out the cobra diff??

and don't worry about the five lug thing. the SVO mustang came with five lug from the factory.
95 Ford F250 ext cab long bed Powerstoke Diesel, stock. 92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0: Trick Flow R series intake manifold, Cold Air Intake, Throttle Body, Larger Egr Plate, Flowmasters, 3.73 Gears, Off road H-pipe.
FastTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
StangNut86
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to StangNut86 Send a message via Yahoo to StangNut86
1 word: nope.

the SVOs, like all 4-banger and v-6 mustangs, came with the 7.5" rear end. all v8 mustang from 85(?) on had 8.8" rear ends. none of those parts would work. however, you could feasibly swap the entire rear end into your car. you'd have to redo the brake fittings and such. i'm not sure if the SVO's control arms, springs, and shocks would fit, but you could feasibly make it work.

'89 Mustang 5.0 - How fast? i'll know this weekend.
'86 Mustang LX - Shortblock is built, now for the rest of it.

"Put the subject before the verb, hmm? Fail this class, you will."
-Yoda teaches english class.
StangNut86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Stanger

Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0
Re: can a 96 cobra rear end internals fit in my 84 svo housing?

I'm not following what your saying here. You want the rearend, brakes and all. So how do you plan on using that in the 7.5" SVO rear? The rear of the 96 is a solid 8.8" rear axle, you could mount that who unit into the space of the SVO, replacing the exsisting rear axle.

Also tell your friend that the Tranny from the 96 will have a longer input shaft then the 86 was designed for. It could work with the correct bell housing though.

HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
StangNut86
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: can a 96 cobra rear end internals fit in my 84 svo housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlow5 0
I'm not following what your saying here. You want the rearend, brakes and all. So how do you plan on using that in the 7.5" SVO rear? The rear of the 96 is a solid 8.8" rear axle, you could mount that who unit into the space of the SVO, replacing the exsisting rear axle.

Also tell your friend that the Tranny from the 96 will have a longer input shaft then the 86 was designed for. It could work with the correct bell housing though.
wait, didn't 96+ GTs use a different tranny? is the clutch the same spline count?

Old 10-11-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
HiFlow5 0
Stanger

Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0
Re: can a 96 cobra rear end internals fit in my 84 svo housing?

I'm pretty sure its the same spline count.

HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Also the 96 Cobra rear if swapped in will stick a 1/4" out more on each side in the rear.

GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:55 PM   #7
FastTeen
AF Regular

well the SVO came with more options then a GT. basicly it was considered a cobra of the day so to speak from what i was told.

also the SVO was NOT like all "4-banger and v6 mustangs" for one thing the rearend on a non-turbo 4cyl mustang did not have lsd while the SVO did. reason WHY? the SVO had to have LSD from the factory becuacse they put a engine with that much power in such a light car with a light and extremely good power to wieght ratio with only one tire getting power...then all it would do when you hit the gas was turn one way and crash. also a SVO at the time could easily keep up and beat the GT's of the day. since they had a a WHOLE lot less wieght then the V8's.
and personally i'm offended that you would think that all the SVO is is just a reg. 4cyl mustang with a turbo. that is completely the opposite of what it really is. the SVO has great respect in the car world becuacse with just a few cheap bolt ons your running 12s on the 1/4 mile. all you need is 3inch exhuast from the turbo back, a air intake, chip, shifter bushing and the must $$$ a bigger intercooler and that's about all you need.

and like it's a bad thing the rear end will stick a 1/4" farther out on the sides. it'll just make it look meaner. beside doesn't it help out with traction? and frankly i need all the traction i can get. my SVO will spin the tire straight though 1st and spin almost straight though 2nd. i have about 800rpms of traction in 2nd and believe me that doesn't last very long. i have just a HUGE amount of low end torque. and the only time i have turbo lag is in 1st(turbo kicks in at about 2700rpm at 9psi) after that your glued to the seat and get whiplash every time you shift(haven't gotten a short throw yet).

well i was also just thinking of unbolting the driveshaft from the trans on the cobra and trying to see if i can't just use the hole rearend housing and driveshaft but i don't think that would work. maybe i could get a drive shaft off a early model foxbody or a merker and put that on the rearend so that i wouldn't have any driveshaft length problems.

hiflow5.0: yeah my friend knows. actually you there's a adapter kit out there for that tranny swap. so it'll bolt up to the engine right and have no problems with the drivetrain.
95 Ford F250 ext cab long bed Powerstoke Diesel, stock. 92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0: Trick Flow R series intake manifold, Cold Air Intake, Throttle Body, Larger Egr Plate, Flowmasters, 3.73 Gears, Off road H-pipe.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:05 PM   #8
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Nice chip on you shoulder.... now that you done whining about whatever it was you whining about why is 1/4" more on each side bad...

You claim you have such horrible traction problems cause your turbo 4 is so ungodly powerful..... well the tires being wider apart don't fix that you need more tire surface area. But wit the extra 1/4" sticking out on each side you can prob get away with 265 wide tire max!!! without needing to roll ya fenders.

Last edited by GTStang; 10-13-2004 at 12:00 PM.
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:19 PM   #9
StangNut86
AF Enthusiast

dude, you shouldnt' be offended, we didn't even really say half of that. in fact most of us like SVOs and wish we had one.

you're saying you don't think it's possible to use the entire rear end housing, but that's the opposite of what we're trying to tell you. it may just bolt right up with little things like brake lines not matching up to deal with. if you're lucky your wheels will bolt right up to it too.

don't be so quick to judge us, dude... i'd say i have a fair amount of knowlege regarding mustangs and a lot of the others here have double or triple what i do. all i'm trying to say is, respect us and we'll respect you.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:53 PM   #10
FastTeen
AF Regular

my bad. i took it the wrong way. sorry.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance