Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Bigblue99
AF Newbie

1996 Maxima no start

Hello there,

I have a 1996 maxima which has been giving problems starting lately. At first it was intermittent and after a few tries, it would start. when you turn the key, the lights come on but when you go to start it , it just clicks and nothing. At first if you did this a few times and waited a few minutes in between tries, it would eventually start. Now it doesn't seem to start unless I jump it and even then it still gives trouble.

A trip to advanced auto for a test indicated that the battery was good, the starter was good and there was excessive ripple in the alternator. When the car is able to be started, it runs fine until it's turned off. If the alternator was bad, wouldn't it die while running? That's been my previous experience with a bad alternator. Any advice or help you give would be greatly appreciated.

Full Disclosure- My wife had a co-worker use the car for a jump a few weeks ago and according to her, he put the cables on wrong. I assume that means reversed them. Since there were no immediate issues, I didn't make too much of a fuss. But it seems like now the issues are starting to appear and I'm sure it's no coincidence.

Thank you
Bigblue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1996 Maxima no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue99 View Post
Hello there,

I have a 1996 maxima which has been giving problems starting lately. At first it was intermittent and after a few tries, it would start. when you turn the key, the lights come on but when you go to start it , it just clicks and nothing. At first if you did this a few times and waited a few minutes in between tries, it would eventually start. Now it doesn't seem to start unless I jump it and even then it still gives trouble.

A trip to advanced auto for a test indicated that the battery was good, the starter was good and there was excessive ripple in the alternator. When the car is able to be started, it runs fine until it's turned off. If the alternator was bad, wouldn't it die while running? That's been my previous experience with a bad alternator. Any advice or help you give would be greatly appreciated.

Full Disclosure- My wife had a co-worker use the car for a jump a few weeks ago and according to her, he put the cables on wrong. I assume that means reversed them. Since there were no immediate issues, I didn't make too much of a fuss. But it seems like now the issues are starting to appear and I'm sure it's no coincidence.

Thank you
Get a 10$ multimeter, measure voltage at the battery. Has to be above 12,5V, while starting should not go below 11Volts. When running, charge voltage 14.2V-14.7V.

GND wire, connections rotten? Check the wire all the way down to chassis contact and engine...

If all is ok, then starter and/or its solenoid is toast. Replace...

Jus do not jumpstart engine idling, donor alt regulator stays healthy. If you have to give, disconnect donor vehicle batt cables and thus limit possible damage - into battery.

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Bigblue99
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Maxima no start

well, after thinking it had to be starter related, i went to check it out and found a nut loose. now it's starting. hopefully that's all it was.
Bigblue99 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35