Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
rather_b_boatin
AF Regular

Water Pump Nightmare

I have an 01' Max SE 3.0 and I took it into a local shop to to do a water pump @ 135k miles. $450 later it leaked (from weep hole) after 2 months. (didn't leak to begin with, just wanted to stay ahead of it). 2nd time shop covered the part & charged me $150 1/2 labor to install. I thought that was fair enough. 2 months later it leaked again, again I took it to the shop this time they covered 100%, did an oil change while at it and charged me $35 for the oil change. I thought fair enough but why the heck is this thing eating these water pumps? So true to form approx. 2 months later the weep hole did its thing. This time I went to Nissan and paid $118 for an OEM Nissan water pump, they just installed it. Charged me another $150 1/2 labor stating since it was not the same brand pump labor wasn't covered this time. Has anyone run into a bad batch of Advance Auto (whatever brand/cheap $50) water pumps? Or this scenerio? Does this sound like a reasonable course of action or should I be looking for something else here? Thanks in advance for any response. $903 into a water pump, trying to do some good preventive maintenance....
rather_b_boatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Water Pump Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rather_b_boatin View Post
I have an 01' Max SE 3.0 and I took it into a local shop to to do a water pump @ 135k miles. $450 later it leaked (from weep hole) after 2 months. (didn't leak to begin with, just wanted to stay ahead of it). 2nd time shop covered the part & charged me $150 1/2 labor to install. I thought that was fair enough. 2 months later it leaked again, again I took it to the shop this time they covered 100%, did an oil change while at it and charged me $35 for the oil change. I thought fair enough but why the heck is this thing eating these water pumps? So true to form approx. 2 months later the weep hole did its thing. This time I went to Nissan and paid $118 for an OEM Nissan water pump, they just installed it. Charged me another $150 1/2 labor stating since it was not the same brand pump labor wasn't covered this time. Has anyone run into a bad batch of Advance Auto (whatever brand/cheap $50) water pumps? Or this scenerio? Does this sound like a reasonable course of action or should I be looking for something else here? Thanks in advance for any response. $903 into a water pump, trying to do some good preventive maintenance....
Bad pumps, too tight belt? So far all cheap pumps I have replaced have been ok.

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35