Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
bayview
AF Newbie

anti theft

I could really use some help with the details on how the anti theft system works, the 2005 grand am we have is having a problem with the starter and if it doesnt start right away the security light comes on and she has to wait about ten minutes before she can try again.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: anti theft

If the anti theft has been tripped its probly not the starter causing the problem. When the securitys tripped it kills the injectors and can kill spark.

Turning the key on for 11 mins at least should help clear it up for a while, but sounds like the ignition switch could be goin out.

Also If thiers a bunch of things hanging from the key chain used, lose a few items and see if that helps too.

My ex had like 100 things are her key chain. Everyother day it was making her reset the system waiting for the 11 mins, a real pita! Took most of the items off and its never given me any trouble since.

You might also look into the starter wires and make sure they are all tight. Lose connections can cause simular problems. And I guess teh starter just could be bad, thoguh you can usualy get them tested to be sure at most autopart stores.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
bayview
AF Newbie

Re: anti theft

that explains quite a lot X, she does have the 2lb. key fob. and the starter connections if they are a little lose may be what is causing the starter to sound rough..........thanks.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM