Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
musiclvr56
AF Newbie

car accident-toyota camry LE-silver

I am considering purchasing parts to save money on my 2006 silver Toyota Camry. I apologize ahead of time if my questions sound foolish, but I am unfamiliar with auto body parts. If I purchase the parts, I assume I have two choices-purchase aftermarket parts and paint it myself or purchase the parts without having to paint them. I need advice on this, i.e. is it possible to purchase the color of my car parts and if so, how do I find the lowest price on the parts
I live in the suburbs of Boston and I assume all auto body repair shops will be expensive. My son had an accident-the hood is propped up. My friend tried to fix it, to no avail-everything is misaligned.
Thank you for your advice.
Karen
musiclvr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: car accident-toyota camry LE-silver

Welcome to AF.

The problem here is the extent of the damage to the structure of the car. If the damage is solely limited to the hood, then you may be able to find a silver hood from a wrecking yard and bolt it on. But accident damage is rarely that simple.

The structure all newer cars are specifically designed to distort and bend in a controlled way to absorb the forces of an impact, to better protect the occupants. But this means the welded structure of the car may be bent. This structure cannot be simply unbolted and replaced. A bent structure means nothing will align and the car is not safe to drive.

However, if the damage is not too bad, it can be pulled straight, then the bolt-on parts, like the hood, grille etc can be replaced. But pulling it straight requires skill and sophisticated equipment. So I suggest take the car to a body shop for an assesment. Feel free to get some estimates first. Prices can vary quite a bit. If this is not an insurance claim, be sure to tell them so first.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
LearnAutoBody
Auto Body Mod

Hi Karen, a goods place to search for used parts is Car-Parts.com There you can search by make and model and closest to you. I believe that you will find this site useful for finding parts. Thanks!

"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success."
`Henry Ford
LearnAutoBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
jackpercy57
AF Newbie

There you can search by make and model and closest to you

jackpercy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
bodymanhelper
AF Newbie

Hiya Karen

What ever parts that decide to get you will still have to bring them to a body shop because they will need to be sanded and prepped for a base coast and a clear coat to match the rest of the car.
bodymanhelper is offline   Reply With Quote