Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
bratfry
AF Newbie

Lower Radiator Support problem - RUSTING

1999 Maxima SE

I recently removed the front splash panels on my 1999 Maxima Se to replace the alternator. A front body cross member (called a lower tie bar radiator support or support radiator core lower) has pretty much rusted away on the bottom of the unit ( I mean real bad). I don’t think this a good thing.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know of any type of recall for this as this has to be a safety issue?

It appears that the unit is attached on the ends with 4 bolts, 2 in the middle to a support that goes under and behind the engine. Has anyone ever replaced this raditor support?

I live in the Chicago area and the winters are pretty rough but 9-10 years and its gone???? Don’t like that.

Any comments are welcomed?
bratfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Lower Radiator Support problem - RUSTING

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratfry View Post
...any type of recall for this as this has to be a safety issue?

It appears that the unit is attached on the ends with 4 bolts, 2 in the middle to a support that goes under and behind the engine. Has anyone ever replaced this raditor support?
...?
The support is not a safety issue; but what else is hidden? Check rear wheel wells, the area behind fuel fill hose shield.

Ten yrs is enough to rot any car; depends on 'size of salt portion' on the road and where car is kept stored (always parked on wet ground: when air warms, the evaporated moisture condenses onto colder steel e.g. the vehicle)

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
bratfry
AF Newbie

Looks like a safety issue to me. A engine/transmission mount mounts to a assembly that connects to the lower radiator support. If that support goes, the engine drops forward and who knows what will happen next.

The replacement part only shows the lower support, but the unit on the car is a complete assembly from the bottom to the top. Looks like the defective support would have to be cut from the assembly and spot welded back on. This thing is part of the frame of the car.

I am going to call Nissan but I am sure they care less.

Oh by the way, my 94 Bonnie looks better under than the 99 Nissan and they live at the same address. I think this is a dirty secret for this series of Nissan models and it really disturbs me.

We also have a 05 Altima and I see there as been some different treatments done to the frame units. BUT, we received a notice that because of corrosion issues, the warranty has been extended from 7 years to I think it was 13, maybe 11, in certain areas. I think I might have made another mistake.

I am not a happy Nissan camper at this point. But I will get over it. It was a happy day when I got rid of my Z.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Looks like a safety issue to me. A engine/transmission mount mounts to a assembly that connects to the lower radiator support. If that support goes, the engine drops forward and who knows what will happen next. ...
Well yes if "A front body cross member" rusts away - its definitely a safety issue. I did not understand on first reading, thought that rad support was the issue. Sorry...

This issue sounds abnormal, please give us pics. 'Normal' rust spots on most cars are around rear wheel wells (seen behind trunk upholstery and/or prying up, peeking under rear seat ends.)
Old 10-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
bratfry
AF Newbie

The lower radiator support (as Nissan calls it) is the front body cross member. I took the car to a couple body shops and they say this is very common on this model of Nissan. Estimates ranged from $400 to $900 to replace the member.

The $900 estimate was from the book and they wanted to remover the complete front end along with the fenders to replace it. The shop that gave me the $400 estimate actually looked at the rusted piece and has fixed the damage before. They say they can cut the spot welds out, both the side body members and the top front support assembly, replace the lower radiator support and spot weld all back together. Sounds good to me.

You want to see pics, access other Nissan forums. They is a lot of discussions concerning this issue. Also check out Ebay. Some guy is selling the cross member and he has some pics of a rusted radiator support. Trust me, mine looks similiar to all of them.

Gary
Old 10-20-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
The lower radiator support (as Nissan calls it) is the front body cross member. I took the car to a couple body shops and they say this is very common on this model of Nissan. Estimates ranged from $400 to $900 to replace the member.

The $900 estimate was from the book and they wanted to remover the complete front end along with the fenders to replace it. The shop that gave me the $400 estimate actually looked at the rusted piece and has fixed the damage before. They say they can cut the spot welds out, both the side body members and the top front support assembly, replace the lower radiator support and spot weld all back together. Sounds good to me.

You want to see pics, access other Nissan forums. They is a lot of discussions concerning this issue. Also check out Ebay. Some guy is selling the cross member and he has some pics of a rusted radiator support. Trust me, mine looks similiar to all of them.

Gary
Sounds weird to me as the front structure has no big design changes during 2gen-5gen. My J30 3gen has absolutely no rust, neither does the 2k2 5gen I look after. I am not familiar with 4gen plastics bumper - could it keep water, the front rust ripe = always wet?

Maybe there were rust proofing problems at mfg plant?

The Nissan service manual Body-section has good chassis measurement alignment specs - should be checked if spot welds are opened/welded.

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Old 06-13-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
tmarx888
AF Newbie

I just bought this 98 Maxima from a guy (who works for a car dealership) and i went to replace the drivers fender and front bumper skin and low and behold the f'n radiator support was rusted pretty badly, on bolt holding the cross member in and that was barely hanging on. I caught it just in time and by surprise the motor and tranny weren't laying in the street somewhere. Here are some pics of mine and I live in Minnesota so rust is common but I've also owned a 96 then a 95
Maxima now the 98, the two older models didn't have this issue.
If this ain't a safety recall I don't know what is. Take a look.
IMG_20140612_081617.jpg

IMG_20140612_081533.jpg
tmarx888 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35