Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #31
sianna05
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: 2004 sienna cracked dashboard

I think the reason there is no class action suit is because there have been no injuries related to the dash faults and there are not enough of us to make it financially feasible for the lawyers to do the work to bring suit.
IMO it is the company who made that component for Toyota who would be at fault. I still feel it was a faulty material that went into the mix of goods that made up the dash. I doubt that there will be a resolution to the problem.
Looks like Toyota will loose a number of potential buyers. And we will bite the bullet on resale
sianna05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #32
2006SiennaThomas
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 sienna cracked dashboard

I live in Miami and have the same dashboard problem with my 2006 Sienna,dealer offered to fix it for $1,000.
2006SiennaThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #33
MMeador24
AF Newbie

I too have a 2004 Toyota Sienna with a dash that is cracking. I called a Toyota Dealer and he said I should come to the dealer and start a "Product Report" which the dealer would then send the report and pictures into the Toyota Company for documentation of a problem. I figure if all of us do this to our Local Toyota Dealer maybe something will get done to fix and obvious structural problem. "PRODUCT REPORT" LOCAL TOYOTA DEALER.
MMeador24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #34
2006SiennaThomas
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMeador24 View Post
I too have a 2004 Toyota Sienna with a dash that is cracking. I called a Toyota Dealer and he said I should come to the dealer and start a "Product Report" which the dealer would then send the report and pictures into the Toyota Company for documentation of a problem. I figure if all of us do this to our Local Toyota Dealer maybe something will get done to fix and obvious structural problem. "PRODUCT REPORT" LOCAL TOYOTA DEALER.
My dealer in Miami said nothing about a product report, just said it would cost me half of the $2,000. repair bill. Do you have any more information pertaining to your thought that the dashboard is a safety hazard? That might be the best avenue of persuit.

Scott Thomas
sthomas447@earthlink.net
2006SiennaThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #35
MikePR22
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to MikePR22
Re: 2004 Toyota Solara Cracked Dash

Hey Guys i just got my dash fixed on a 2004 Solara convertible , same issue of weird cracking all over the dash , Toyota has opened a window until july something to do a courtesy fix on all ppl with this problem , i just wanted to spread the word for all of you with this issue so you can get your cars fixed , my understanding is that its until july something so contact your dealers quickly because if you pay for this it could be up to 1k. Let me know how it goes , Good Luck !
MikePR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #36
Ssilvest
AF Newbie

Reply from mikePR22 was extremely and looking for additional information. 2004 Sienna and dash cracked in June. Has always been in garage, etc. Trying to work with Corporate Toyota to fix. (Other quality problems as well). Last month they said no due to warrenty. Read Mike's response, told Toyota Corp about number of complaints online, etc. They've agreed to pay for part but not labor. Would like to know where Mike's car was fixed so I can have a reference of dealer that corrected to use as leverage. They are using excuse they've never heard of this program, no recall, etc.
Ssilvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #37
turris
AF Newbie

I went to my Toyota dealership last week about the crack dashboard , they took some pictures to send to the main office. I just got a call from my dealership and basically they (Toyota) will replace the cracked dashboard for 1/2 of total cost - my cost would be $ 948.70 - . I don't like it, But this is all they can do. Probably it's better to spend this amount now than take the full amount off the total price when i'll try to sell the car in the future.
turris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #38
Sunliner
AF Regular

the dash on our 2004 sienna just started cracking about 2 months ago. Pretty much same pattern as most have described here. We're up in north Florida...the van is garaged at home but my wife has to park it out in the sun while at work. I also have used protectant (either Armor-all or Black Magic) about twice a year on all the interior plastic.

FWIW, I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer that has lived in the same environment as the Sienna and the dash has just started to crack a little, despite being a good deal older.

sounds like the dealers are charging a hell of a lot for labor to put a dash in. I've never replaced one on a sienna, but it can't be that involved.
Automatic trans
~72 k miles
I miss my '97 Blazer...
Sunliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #39
chocaholicdayna
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 Sienna and also have a problem with dashboard cracks. I live in Hawaii and this car has been garaged from day 1. The dash has been armor all treated and also has a cover on it. Anyone get any results from reporting to Toyota dealerships? Didn't realize this was such a widespread problem!
chocaholicdayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #40
eric r
AF Newbie

Hi another cracking dash sienna here it drives me crazy looking at it and its hurt the resale badly, toyota will not be replacing all of our dashes for they are going to blame it on the people that made our dash, which were made in tiawan several other manufactures use this company also and it is mainly 04-07. I spoke with colin from a comany called coverlay mfg and if he gets enough documented complaints they will start producing them and we will get a new dash for around 200.00 or less it installs over our existing dash ond will look oem so please give them a call and we will be that much closer to production. I have nothing to do with this company altho i know they do great work used them on a chevy one time! lets get the production going thanks eric
eric r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eric r For This Useful Post:
SueinTexas (09-19-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #41
eric r
AF Newbie

it is the material it is on several toyotas and other make cars as well they were made in tiawan and they discontinued a curing agent which protects against uv the best way out is see my post!
eric r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #42
Barbrich
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 4 Runner and have the same problem with my dash:
Barbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #43
SueinTexas
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 Sienna that was in Wisconsin for almost 6 years, garaged almost all day, every day. We moved to Houston on June 12 and whamo, our dash cracked literally our first day here. Today, I finally took it to the dealership nearby. I was encouraged after reading all your threads! I asked for a Product Report right away. I have to speak to the manager who is out until next Monday, but the guy didn't give me any trouble about what I showed him. (Maybe a good sign). Anyway, I will keep y'all posted as to what comes of this. Thanks so much for all of you sharing your stories, it certainly encouraged me!
SueinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #44
SueinTexas
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric r View Post
Hi another cracking dash sienna here it drives me crazy looking at it and its hurt the resale badly, toyota will not be replacing all of our dashes for they are going to blame it on the people that made our dash, which were made in tiawan several other manufactures use this company also and it is mainly 04-07. I spoke with colin from a comany called coverlay mfg and if he gets enough documented complaints they will start producing them and we will get a new dash for around 200.00 or less it installs over our existing dash ond will look oem so please give them a call and we will be that much closer to production. I have nothing to do with this company altho i know they do great work used them on a chevy one time! lets get the production going thanks eric
Eric, do you have any direct contact info for Colin from Coverlay?
SueinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #45
JPUSA
AF Newbie

This was my letter to Toyota recently. See their response at the end. Bottom line, I'm done with Toyota.

Toyota Motor Sales USA INC.
Customer Experience Center, WC10
19001 Southwestern AVE.
Torance, CA 90509
Ph 800 331-4331
Fax (310) 974-5433

7 September 2011
After researching for other Sienna Vans with a cracking dashboard, I discovered it is not an isolated issue. My research has shown that it is also occurring in Solara and Lexus vehicles as well. See attached printouts. Quite simply, what do you plan to do about it? After the tire issue and now this, my trust in your quality is waning. I'm not interested in a class action suit but I am wholly interested in your response and backing of the issue. That is in the form of a published recall. Anything short of that is failure. In fact, a company with your history for quality and ignoring of faults is the beginning of your downfall. I just need convincing that my next five vehicles will be anything but Toyota and Lexus. I think I already know the answer. A negative response is one I will post to every auto maintenance blog and website I can find.
Just a quick lesson in marketing. Loyal customers that feel abandon never come back. The best advertisement is free and that is by word of mouth. It works in both the positive and negative aspects. Why would an excellent auto manufacturer not take advantage of a long-term material defect that is out of warranty and capitalize on that to show their commitment to excellence and standing behind their products. It is a great advertising strategy. It would be a first and help you keep your hold on being the number one auto manufacturer in an ever-increasing competitive market.

Sincerely,
John I. Pollard
18 September 2011
Toyota called, assigned a case number and the conversation went like this.
Toyota: I see you have a concern about you dash.
Me: Yes, it is cracking prematurely.
Toyota: How many miles do you have on the van.
Me: 110,000.
Toyota: Well it's out of warranty and there is nothing we can do about it. Again, sorry your dash failed sooner than expected.
Me: It's not just my dash, as you can see, this is a failure at the manufacturing level; a material defect. If I wanted a car that would have premature material defects I would have bought a Chrysler, Nissan, Ford or GM product. That's precisely why I pay more for a Toyota.
Toyota: Again, it is out of warranty.
Well I felt it only appropriate that after such a long relationship and several Toyota's that I make my announcement of our divorce known. Good buy Toyota. It's been a great ride.
JPUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna