Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - Air Cooled > Type 1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
aonewordname
AF Newbie

Need Help: Strange Noises

I own a 69 beetle. As I decelerate about 60% of the time, especially during turns, I hear thumping noises under the car. I cannot figure out what causes this or how to fix it. Do I simply need to oil some part of the chassis? Any advice would be appreciated!
aonewordname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need Help: Strange Noises

Im going to guess, since I dont know for sure....
At the forward end of the transaxle, where the shfter rod attaches, the transaxle is supported by a rubber 'mount' that bolts to the bellypan. If this tears from old age, it might let the enigine/transaxle move around a little bit on deceleration. While decelerating, the engine would be misfiring, as the mixture is pretty uneven when the throttle is shut. The misfiring is what can let the engine rock on its mounts, and that front mount is one that gets a lot of stress from acceleration, and might tear.
The other thing that you might be hearing is the muffled sound of the after-firing. (Backfiring is when the explosion comes up through the carburetor, If it goes out the tailpipe, thats 'afterfiring'.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - Air Cooled > Type 1