Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #16
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowprocess
Re: Trying to understand TUNING CHIPs for new trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Northface
Hey all, being new to the forums here......I am curious about your discussion.

I have the Predator Programmer on my 2003 TrailBlazer EXT 4X4 with the 5.3 & a 3.73 G80 locking rear.

Using the programmer definetely enhanced the power, but not as much as I would have liked. I heard about the torque managment & was wondering if anyone knows just how much of the management is removed from such a programmer?
I foolishly spent the hundred some dollars to have them do a "custom tune" for me which really didn't do anything extra IMO, but to get them to do anything more for me, they told me to Dyno my vehicle & e-mail them the results of the fuel to air ratio & whatever else they tell you about it.

Am I wasting my time with this handheld programmer?

I just like having the extra power from the extra's I have installed (TrueFlow Air Intake, Granatelli Mass Flow Air Sensor, Predator Power Programmer & a FlowMaster Exhaust).

I know it will never be a race car...didn't buy it for that purpose, but I would like a little more power out of her without causing an early grave for her.

Down low in the RPM's it is pretty slow. Once the tach goes past around 3000, it picks up from there really nice....still need better low end.

Trying to find anything for my TrailBlazer is such a pain.....tons of stuff for your Trucks & Tahoe's, but very scarceon the TB parts.

Can you guys help me? Point me in the right direction for the right parts?

About a Nelson tune....does it void out a factory warranty or no? Where can I get one done for me & will it be much of an improvement over the Predator?

THANK YOU
First thing, a Nelson tune will be a ton better than a handheld performance wise. No handheld unit can touch a custom tune. It's kinda like over the counter drugs as opposed to pescription drugs. They're good at healing you, they just don't work as good. I also noticed you have the 5.3L. This means you have a vast number of motor parts available at your command. Just remember, most of the stuff that works on an LS1 works on the 5.3L. Also, I've heard that the trailblazer converter stalls higher than the truck converters. That's a good thing. Just helps make those performance parts work that much more. You have turbo kits, superchargers,etc, so the only real setback is how much you want to spend. Just tell us where you would like to go with your ride and how crazy you're willing to go. I know it's hard to break into a new engine and start changing parts, but that 5.3L really loves a good cam swap!!!
BTW, we can tell you how to make your trailblazer a race car if you want us to.

Daily Driver- 00 Camaro SS A4 1/4- 12.30@118mph 2.14-60ft on street tires
Weekend Warrior-99 Silverado "Dirty" 1/4-11.63@118mph 1.8-60ft
Slowprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
bowtieguy
AF Regular

Slow thanks for the info. on the servo. what is the approx. cost for the transgo kit and being an electronically controlled tranny is there anything different installing one of these kits?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #18
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowprocess
Re: Re: Trying to understand TUNING CHIPs for new trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy
Slow thanks for the info. on the servo. what is the approx. cost for the transgo kit and being an electronically controlled tranny is there anything different installing one of these kits?
A transgo kit will usually go for around $90-$110 depending on where you get it from. There isn't a difference in the install. If you've done a shift kit on an older one, you should have no trouble with the install. That reminds me, I'll check my computer really quick and see if I can find that servo install. I'll post up the result.

Daily Driver- 00 Camaro SS A4 1/4- 12.30@118mph 2.14-60ft on street tires
Weekend Warrior-99 Silverado "Dirty" 1/4-11.63@118mph 1.8-60ft
Slowprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:10 PM   #19
SocalSilverado
AF Newbie

Personally I would go with a Westers Tune from Westers Garage in Canada. Westers tune is one of the best things you can get for your truck.
SocalSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:54 AM   #20
jeverett
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeverett Send a message via AIM to jeverett Send a message via MSN to jeverett Send a message via Yahoo to jeverett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalSilverado
Personally I would go with a Westers Tune from Westers Garage in Canada. Westers tune is one of the best things you can get for your truck.
What makes them so much better?
I'm 100% for Nelson. I guess it's just personal prefrence.
"BIG 3"
2500+ watt audio

jeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #21
SocalSilverado
AF Newbie

I wouldn't say one tune is better than the other(We could argue, but its pointless). I just prefer Westers tune, because of their cutomer service and warranty. Free replacement of the tune if it is ever reflashed and free lifetime updates. Nelson is cheaper and from what I'm told has huge performance increases. Any tune with GM is the way to go.
SocalSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #22
jeverett
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeverett Send a message via AIM to jeverett Send a message via MSN to jeverett Send a message via Yahoo to jeverett

I agree. I just found out last night, a performance shop close to here also uses LS1edit and can tune, but I don't think he'll do it for me. He said he uses it for diagnostic purposes...
"BIG 3"
2500+ watt audio

Old 02-10-2005, 09:35 AM   #23
White Lightening
AF Regular

Greetings,

This tuning chip process is quite a new learning issue. I knew that some computer alterations were done by mechanics etc. - but I'm qwuite surprised to find out just how very common it is to make choices that are not factory standards. And the number of choices and alterations that can be chosen is really surprising.

Much more yet to learn before making a decision.

White Lightening
White Lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #24
ryanszpara
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ryanszpara
how do you know what tuner to buy (not a frequent drag strip driver)

Also how do you know what to tune? whats too much and what types of things do you change?

2002 Chevy Silverado
5.3 L v-8 4x4
Bought on 10-26-04
K & N Filter
4 Headlight mod
Fog Lights
FM 40 Series-dual turn downs

FUTURE PLANS:
3 inch lift
285/75 r16 BFG A/T s
Wheels? (american racing)

ryanszpara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:07 AM   #25
White Lightening
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanszpara
how do you know what tuner to buy (not a frequent drag strip driver)

Also how do you know what to tune? whats too much and what types of things do you change?
Greetings Ryanszpara,

Great question for many of us that aren't wrenchers. You've got the racing group of drivers - chances are they know exactly what they want done. There are the street racers/stop[light screechers or appearance mod guys - and they have a different set of needs. Finally there are normal drivers like me with yet a thrid different set of desires.

Two choices exist. You can ask someone who knows (but you have to describe what your goals are to them) - or you go to a tuner like Nelson etc. and list for them what your goals are for the truck and let them design the characteristics. I already did a preliminary contact with Nelson - and my goals have nothing to do with racing or 1/4 mile times - I want to get best overall power band performance range from my truck - and improved gas mileage using premium gas. He'll figure out torque management, shifting, etc.. Many want 1/4 mile speed improvements - a low priority to me.

White Lightening
White Lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:43 AM   #26
jeverett
AF Enthusiast

I just wanted mine to haul ass!!

I got exactly what I asked for.
"BIG 3"
2500+ watt audio

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado