Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #31
kuhnzoo
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Ram Hemi Electronic Throttle Control malfunction

Yes, selling the heap is one of the options I have to consider. The drag is that I use this truck to plow my driveways (total about 800'), so I have an investment in the 8' Fisher plow too.

And what to replace it with? All vehicles today are heavily computer controlled. So the same sorta glitch can frustrate the owner of almost any brand vehicle these days......

Thanks for commiserating! I'll post up if and when I have some more news.
kuhnzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #32
mfinnerty
AF Newbie

a 1955 model Willys CJ5. Very simple to work on. Will will power your plow and climb a tree too! LOL
mfinnerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #33
kuhnzoo
AF Newbie

Well, the camshaft position sensor was no help. No real surprise, I guess.

Well, off to the dealer to see what they can do for me (besides lighten my wallet).
kuhnzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #34
mfinnerty
AF Newbie

Mine is still holding up. At least for the time being, anyway. I will take the throttle body off again to clean it and maybe I can get another couple of months out of it.

Keep me posted if you will. I am really curious as to what the "FIX" might be.
mfinnerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #35
Hilleyje
AF Newbie

I have no idea if anyone still reads this post but I need some help on this subject too. I have an 04 hemi 1500 with the same issues. At just over 100,000 miles while driving down the interstate, my truck came outta cruise control, the check engine light came on, the electronic throttle control light was flashing (looks like )z( with the z bein a lightening bolt) and it flashes. Manual says pull over and tow immediately. The truck will sputter and rev high if I push the gas, then cut off if i let the rpms go down. If I cut the truck off the flashing etc light goes away and the truck runs fine. After cutting the truck on and off 3 or 4 times the check engine light goes away too. At first the problem went away and only came back every 1,000-1,500 miles. Now its every 100 it seems. I've read to clean the throttle body or to locate a pink wire with yellow stripe on back of motor to see if its stripped anywhere (this wire is impossible to reach). Does anyone know of a permanent fix yet? Other than selling, which I'm considering before I set it on fire. I'll try to check back here but emails are better for me, my address is jjjmn265@AOL.com. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Hilleyje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #36
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

I've read of a couple of diesels acting similiar and their issue was a throttle position sensor going bad.

Go to a chain type auto parts store, ask for a free scan then when it comes up clean, ask the counter guy to set it for "running condition/parameters, current conditions"....whatever term the scan tool maker uses.

With the engine off and keyswitch On, connecting a scan tool, setting it for running conditions, scroll the display to find TPS % then slowly flooring & releasing the accelerator pedal to see if the numbers gradually increase & decrease will check the TPS operation. Any sudden change in values indicate a TPS problem.

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #37
RMcQueenSr
AF Newbie

I have a 2003 dodge 1500 hemi with 188,000 miles and had to replace the electronic throttle position sensor. Dealer part.
RMcQueenSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #38
Davis007
AF Newbie

Im having the same problem? How do you clean the throttle body, i will try that.. I have disconnected the battery and that fixed it for around 35 miles or so.. But my truck acts like it wants to go fast but it goes SLOWER!!! so annoying.. I just bought the truck so if anyone has any advice on how to fix this problem it would be greatly appriciated..
Davis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #39
Davis007
AF Newbie

And RMC how much did it cost through the dealership? total please?
Davis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #40
RMcQueenSr
AF Newbie

I can't remember the exact amount but it was between $250 and $300. Replaced it myself only 4 bolts to take off.
RMcQueenSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #41
Hilleyje
AF Newbie

Mine hasn't done it in a while so maybe a sensor was clogged up or something. If it messes up again Ill look into that part.
Hilleyje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #42
csth1985
AF Newbie

I have a 2003 ram 2500 with a 5.7 hemi and ill be driving and it just stalls will not start for awile and when i do start it it just cranks faster than normal and never trys to kick over. the etc light is on when this happens also, i have replaced the camshaft positioning sensor because thats what the check engine code was bringing up and cleaned the throttle body still doing the same thing. i'm lost for options anyone able to help?
csth1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #43
jakehemi1678
AF Newbie

Use plus gas I had the same problem but it went away as soon as I use it
jakehemi1678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #44
sjolley626
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 with a hemi and I have the exact same problem with my truck a I have replaced the throttle body twice now and the servo sensor with no avail. It is killing me putting all this money into this truck to fix it and no body can even tell me what the problem is. I've read forum after forum after forum of tier guys with the same problem with their truck and non of them have a solution. I have a light that comes on the dash that tells me that the throttle body control module is not responding. I've replaced the TBCM twice now. When the light first come on I can keep my left foot on the brake pedal and my right on the throttle and as long as I keep my foot on the throttle the light will go back off and I still have throttle control. If I leave my for off the throttle for too long then the light will start flashing and at that point over lost all throttle control and the vehicle goes into erratic idling. I have to shut it off and restart it several times to get the light to go off so I can get my throttle control back.
sjolley626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #45
seanrocks40
AF Newbie

Hollow I have the same issue with my 2004 5.7L hemi it will rough idle and some timesort when trying to start it will start and then will want to shut off. I have already had it shut off while driving as I was slowing to a stop and when it happens it's the same lighting bolt light on dash ETC but one thing I have noticed is it mostly happens when I am really low on Gas like when gas light come on low. But sometimes I can go months without it happening but it's been going on for a couple of years now and haven't done anything about it. When it happens I just shut it off then restart and it will be OK but just today I was leaving work and tried to start and that light came on and it shut off and won't start so had to leave my truck at work not happy so I'm going to go back and try and clean the throttle body and disconnect battery and see if that helps called the dealer to see what they say and can't tell me have to see the truck to tell for $125 just to diagnose so I will do it myself like everything else .
seanrocks40 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10