Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
wootyloo
AF Newbie

Unhappy Can Wrong Cleaner Hurt Paint?

New to these forums and not sure where to post. Sorry if this is the wrong place. I was claying my wife's car today (my first time using clay). I use Mother's products, all in the red bottles. Because I'm a dummy, I accidentally grabbed the bottle of Mother's wheel and tire cleaner to use as a lubricant. I used it to clay the entire car, not realizing my mistake until near finishing. Fearing catastrophe, I immediately washed the car again and rinsed it twice, followed by a go-around of spray detailer, before waxing it. Should I be worried. Will this cleaner damage my paint? Thanks for the input!

*EDIT: It seems the trickle of clay/"lubricant" on to my windshield and side windows may have damaged the glass. There is some discoloring/marking. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow, but I'm too ****ed off and it's raining now. If anyone knows how to get the marks out, please let me know.

Last edited by wootyloo; 09-26-2016 at 01:52 AM. Reason: More damage...
wootyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Can Wrong Cleaner Hurt Paint?

If it was going to damage your paint you would have noticed right away. Rinsing the stuff off thoroughly right away was a good move, if you had let it sit too long it may have damaged the paint. If you haven't noticed any problems, you're probably in the clear.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeCStig For This Useful Post:
Baahir (10-15-2016), wootyloo (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #3
wootyloo
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, the mix of clay and cleaner was on the car for about 30 minutes before I washed it off. So far, it looks fine. Lesson learned. Time to mark my Mother's bottles with tags or something at the top.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:52 AM   #4
wootyloo
AF Newbie

It seems the trickle of clay/"lubricant" on to my windshield and side windows may have damaged the glass. There is some discoloring/marking. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow, but I'm too ****ed off and it's raining now. If anyone knows how to get the marks out, please let me know.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
wootyloo
AF Newbie

Someone in another forum recommended Brasso to remove the "tarnish" on the glass. Worked like a champ.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:48 AM   #6
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootyloo View Post
Someone in another forum recommended Brasso to remove the "tarnish" on the glass. Worked like a champ.
I also hear that stuff that restores the clarity of your headlights works well for that purpose.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:00 AM   #7
internal combuster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCStig View Post
If it was going to damage your paint you would have noticed right away. Rinsing the stuff off thoroughly right away was a good move, if you had let it sit too long it may have damaged the paint. If you haven't noticed any problems, you're probably in the clear.
I haven't used that product yet. Since you rinsed it, I believe you don't need to worry about it.
internal combuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
towjoe42
AF Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to towjoe42

to begin with as far as I know in the US at least you are not washing "Paint". You are washing a thin layer of plastic which is applied over a base color coat of paint. It is the plastic coating over the paint base coat that gives it the shine.
Yes I would be careful what you wash it with. I only use a mild general purpose liquid cleaner like Amway LOC, (liquid organic cleaner) which I get online. I like this cause it is not a petroleum based cleaner. I would not use any Petroleum based cleaner on my cars.
It is so mild you can shower with it, wash your hair, clothes, pets and your baby. It has surfactant qualities that make water 500 times wetter.
For more info you can Skype message me at towjoe42930
towjoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
clay , cleaner , damage , paint
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General