Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 05:59 AM   #1
DobieMom
AF Newbie

Cargo Area

Hi All,
I'm new to the board, so, forgive me if this question should go somewhere else.

I am considering buying the 2005 Xterra. I am curious however, in the 2004 model do the back seats fold completely flat or better yet can they be taken out all together?

I have three dogs and a cat to be able to transport around and I need space. Do you think it is "doable"?

Thanks all!

DobieMom
Old 05-29-2004, 10:07 PM   #2
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

The '04 Xterra seats do not fold totally flat. The bottom cushions come out completely and then the back of the seat flops forward, but it has a bit of an angle even then. Anything can be removed with the right tools, but removing the seatbacks will leave the opposite problem; the cargo area will drop down where the seats are. If you don't have a need for the rear seats though you could always build (or have built) some sort of custom floor that extends the cargo area forward. There will still be a very slight "hump" there where it meets, but it could be pretty flat if done right. That is something I considered at one time, but everytime I'd think about it I would need the back seat!

The '05 Xterra (available probably in February) will have proper folding seats. The seat bottom will tip forward and then the back of the seat will flop down behind it. It will be a flatter fold, but I'm not sure that it's perfectly flat. THe '05 will also have a rubbery floor with moveable "utili-track" tie downs. It will be easier to clean, but your dogs will probably slide around on it. The rear seat and cargo room will be slightly increased. Not much else I know about that until we see the production version.

Best thing I can suggest is that you go look at one and have the dealer show you how the rear seat works. It's kind of clunky, but it "works."
Old 05-30-2004, 06:50 AM   #3
DobieMom
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info. I will go check it out. I want to make sure I buy the correct vehicle for my needs. The only reason I'm upgrading to a suv is to transport the furkids. I'm looking at other vehicles as well. I just liked the Xterra for my own taste. Thanks again.
DobieMom

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail