Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod
WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod Post topics for any "Works In Progress" Muscle Car-Hot Rod vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
NeedMYModelTime
AF Newbie

1977 Black Pontiac Trans Am!

About half way now through decals......enjoy!

Since I have little time to build models and I have too many to build, I'm starting with the classics that I really like. So, after a while off the bench, I recently picked up the Revell Smokey and The Bandit 77 Pontiac Trans Am. I think this is waaay better than the MPC Trans Am, but I need the MPC decals for the "Trans Am" logos and some aftermarket wheel decals. I plan on making the extra MPC car a white on blue interior scheme since the decals will be simpler to make on a printer.

The Black Trans Am just doesn't make it without extra care on the wheels and tires, meaning getting on the two tone paint and BF Goodrich tire decals. The paint and gold trim on the front end really need some attention too. I picked up some photos online that really helped me figure out how to make the all black on black scheme stand out. I tried using different shades, textures and sheens of black under the car and in the engine bay. I'm planning on a little weathering under the car too. I will add a CB antenna and hat at the end for the extra Bandit swag.

The car:

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do! Thanks for looking!

The interior:

Front end:

Back end:

Engine bay inspiration:

Close up:

Tire and Wheel:

Under the front end, lots of color and patina here:

Back end has lots of interesting colors and factory markings:

Now for some model building! Here is everything spread out, cut, sanded, sub assemblies put together:

Body sanded and ready for primer:

Wheels stripped of chrome and painted Duplicolor Gold. I wanted to attempt to build most of this car with all the rattle cans I have lying around.

Body primed with Tamiya fine surface primer, very good stuff:

I went for some texture on the chassis:

I test fit the front end pieces after the first coat of Tamiya gloss black warmed up in hot water:

Trying to get organized, I likey these parts boxes:

I went for the old school Pontiac Engine Blue and black transmission.

Here is a close up with the air cleaner on. I painted the rubber grey to contrast with the black paint where I can.

I modified the kit distributor and added some wire I painted Light Grey:

Not too bad, I think the wires are a little thick, we'll go with it or I will never finish....

I masked the front spoiler molded to the chassis and painted it gloss black since it gets a decal later on.

I paid extra attention to the wheels and tires. Every model I see of this car needs either the right paint or decals. After the gold, I picked out the polished aluminum with a silver Sharpie.....easy peasy! I drilled out the holes as much as possible and painted the inside of the wheel with a black sharpie so they stand out. I'm thinking no black wash. Clean like the photo. Then I added the BF Goodrich Decals and dull coat to the tires...the photo really helps. Kit decals for the wheel hubs!

Here are the various sub assemblies painted. I need to move on to the interior and putting the engine together....

Here is the body after 2 coats of Tamiya gloss black and 1 coat of Testors wet look clear. I'm thinking I should stop right here and put decals on! While I think I should rub this out, I'm not so sure.

I started thinking the T Top glass should get tinted. This is where things started to go wrong. I'm not a fan of rattle can tint by Testors. It runs. However, since I hit it on the inside surface, it dried okay and looks fine, but I will use an airbrush and Tamiya smoke with a touch of transparent blue next time.

Here is a test fit of the glass in the body. The runs in the glass are hardly noticeable in place even without the black interior.

I'm liking the contrast of the wheels....this car is all about graphic impact.

That's all I have for now. On to the engine, interior, chassis and decals!

OK, back to post some more progress this afternoon on the interior tub and motor:

I just used Tamiya semi gloss black and picked out the detail with a silver Sharpie pen.

A few views of the motor. The belts, pulleys, alternator and fan were a bit fiddly. The whole thing should be test fit in the chassis and under the hood for clearances because it will all snap into place snug, but take some adjusting to get it to go. When it does, its like music. Enjoy!

Last edited by NeedMYModelTime; 12-21-2014 at 10:30 PM.
NeedMYModelTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
rambenna
AF Regular

Re: 1977 Black Pontiac Trans Am!

Now that is awesome
Old 01-03-2015, 04:15 AM   #3
nascarfreak
AF Regular

Thumbs up Re: 1977 Black Pontiac Trans Am!

Looks perfect...great Job...
nascarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:26 AM   #4
JeremyJon
AF Enthusiast

Great build, super clean & nice workmanship!

Car looks a little low in rear, just a kit fault perhaps?

Keep up the great work!
JeremyJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Martini Man
AF Regular

looking real good !
Martini Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven

Beautiful work so far!!!
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
ScottForster
AF Newbie

One suggestion: for the plug wires, Radio Shack sells wrapping wire, which is exactly the same guage the prewired distributors are
ScottForster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
corvettekid_7684
AF Enthusiast

Looks fantastic! I've got the "Blackbird" kit, but maybe I should pick up a bandit kit?
corvettekid_7684 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod