Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Flixnelon
AF Newbie

Car Lighter MP3 Player - How does it work?

Hey, I've been thinking about getting this for a friend (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-44-LCD-Wir...item43dbf600c6) but truth is, I have no idea how it works, or if this is a good item and what FM even is. I know I showed him another one, that he said is similar to his sister's, and that it has background noise - but I have no idea how to work around it, how to avoid it. It's just 3€, but still, would be better to get a proper one at the first try.
Flixnelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Re: Car Lighter MP3 Player - How does it work?

FM is basically your local radio stations' frequency to get to your listening device. Most vehicles should have a standard audio playing device that allows them to play local radio stations, both FM and AM. Since you posted a link to an ebay listing that was priced in AU, I'm assuming you likely live in Australia or New Zealand. Both Countries definitely have FM & AM radio stations.

For that specific one, you either load MP3's on an SD card, or some kind of USB device with MP3s on it. You plug it into the device listed in the link, and then plug the device into the cigarette lighter, to give the device power. Then you set up the device and car's audio playing device, to the same FM radio station. Specifically one that isn't used to broadcast an actual station. The device then broadcasts whatever music you have stored, through your car's audio system.

Personally, I wouldn't buy that. You get what you pay for, and that is incredibly cheap...too cheap. There are plenty of FM Transmitters/Modulators out there that are made by name brand companies, and aren't much larger that a car cellphone charger, that will plug directly into your specific device (phone, iPod, MP3 device, etc.) A name brand device will have less of a chance for audio interference.

My dad has one from the "Monster" brand company (their products work, but are a little overpriced IMHO). When he started to get some static from the audio, he just set the device and car audio to a different channel, and fixed the problem. For long distance of travel, you're certainly going to run into issues with radio stations popping in and out around the audio frequency/channel, you set it to.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #3
Flixnelon
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicSpoon View Post
FM is basically your local radio stations' frequency to get to your listening device. Most vehicles should have a standard audio playing device that allows them to play local radio stations, both FM and AM. Since you posted a link to an ebay listing that was priced in AU, I'm assuming you likely live in Australia or New Zealand. Both Countries definitely have FM & AM radio stations.

For that specific one, you either load MP3's on an SD card, or some kind of USB device with MP3s on it. You plug it into the device listed in the link, and then plug the device into the cigarette lighter, to give the device power. Then you set up the device and car's audio playing device, to the same FM radio station. Specifically one that isn't used to broadcast an actual station. The device then broadcasts whatever music you have stored, through your car's audio system.

Personally, I wouldn't buy that. You get what you pay for, and that is incredibly cheap...too cheap. There are plenty of FM Transmitters/Modulators out there that are made by name brand companies, and aren't much larger that a car cellphone charger, that will plug directly into your specific device (phone, iPod, MP3 device, etc.) A name brand device will have less of a chance for audio interference.

My dad has one from the "Monster" brand company (their products work, but are a little overpriced IMHO). When he started to get some static from the audio, he just set the device and car audio to a different channel, and fixed the problem. For long distance of travel, you're certainly going to run into issues with radio stations popping in and out around the audio frequency/channel, you set it to.
I live in Portugal, but I know we have FM and AM radio stations for a fact. As for this specific product, you might be right, probably too cheap and suspicious, but, for example, this one has everything a brand one would have, right (as in, would it work, not that it's just as good or better)?

" Specifically one that isn't used to broadcast an actual station. " - Is there a way to find out, in my country, what I should use, in order to keep noise to a minimum and get the same sound quality my friend's car has?
Flixnelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flixnelon View Post
I live in Portugal, but I know we have FM and AM radio stations for a fact. As for this specific product, you might be right, probably too cheap and suspicious, but, for example, this one has everything a brand one would have, right (as in, would it work, not that it's just as good or better)?

" Specifically one that isn't used to broadcast an actual station. " - Is there a way to find out, in my country, what I should use, in order to keep noise to a minimum and get the same sound quality my friend's car has?
Most name brand ones should have the same settings. Most I've seen are much smaller though, and don't have that big screen, they have a small one. I'm assuming that one would work, but if it's very cheaply made, then there could be some issues with sound interference. It's pretty hit or miss trying to find the right channel. Try to find one that isn't close to any other working station. For example, if there's a large range of unused channels, between 2 used channels, try to pick one in between. Basically, you'll just have to play with it until you find one of the right ones.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:38 AM   #5
Savenn01
Banned

I don't know so much about that but i love GOgroove FlexSMART X2 takes an FM transmitter and pairs it with Bluetooth connectivity, making it a great choice for those looking for an installation-free way to route calls and music through their car stereo.
Savenn01 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General