Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
garsus
AF Newbie

When does mileage become an issue?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and relatively uneducated about cars, so appologies if my question has been covered a million times before.

I'm looking to buy a cheap second motor for getting back and forth to work. I recently viewed a P reg Fiat Punto 55S with over 106,000 miles on the clock. At £650 and appearing to run very well when I test drove it, I thought this looked like a bargain. I've since been told by a couple of friends who are no car experts by any stretch of the imagination that the mileage is too high. What does everyone elst think?
garsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:05 PM   #2
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

Re: When does mileage become an issue?

How many miles the car will go will vary on a lot of factors. The first, and one of the most important, is how well the car was taken care of. It makes a difference whether or not those miles are highway miles or city driving. Highway miles are better, since there's no constant acceleration and deceleartion. Second, what type of car is it. If it was a budget type of car when it was new, it will not last as much as a luxury car, where cost was not a big deal. 106000 usually is not bad. My car has 185000 and still runs good. Some people on the forums have cars with 200-300k miles and their cars run just fine.
clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A