Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
life is viewtiful
AF Newbie

good daily driver that's cheap

Hey everybody!

Well anyways, I have been thinking of getting a 95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, but I just had a revelation. You see, not only will this be my first car, but it'll be my daily driver. Oh yea, and because of this, it might even be an auto (I'm in the process of learning stick shift).

So I was wondering if it doesn't really matter if your fast car is a daily driver.

Also, do you have any other suggestions for me? My limit is 5 grand, and I want a good looking car that has fairly good mileage (performance would also be a plus, but it's the last priority). Also, I want leather seats, but does anybody know if older leather isn't very nice or has some downsides?

Oh and about civics...you see them just about everywhere, and though I don't really have a problem with getting a car everybody else has, that's just too much.

Thanks a bunch to everybody!
life is viewtiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
Re: good daily driver that's cheap

you see civics around as much as u see maximas, altimas, mustangs...doesn't matte

any car is or can be a daily driver...kinda of a retarted question to me...but find a cheap car, wether it be a tsi, gsx, 240, prelude, for $5k and under and drive it daily...fast or not
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

If performance is your last priority and you want good mileage, DON'T get a DSM. Their performance is excellent, but the reliability can be an issue, and mileage isn't all that good. You'd be better off with something like an Acura Integra or a Nissan 200SX SE-R.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:50 AM   #4
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Agree. My wife has killed two tercels; the first one had 350k miles, the second one only 185k, but someone totalled it in a parking lot. Died before its time. Those aren't typical numbers but I am pretty meticulous about maintenance.

Not big on power, but in her mind you can't beat nearly flawless reliability and 35 mpgs. I also slightly disagree with Kman's recommendation of Acura or Nissan. My only problem with them is (being in the business) they can cost much more to repair. Some models and years of those cars you have to remove the engine, transmission, or at least a half shaft to replace the ALTERNATOR. A $100 part that requires $300 in labor to replace. Toyota parts are cheaper in general, and cars like the last generation tercel and the late 90s corrolas are a snap to work on. Most of the stuff is a half hour job in your driveway with a wrench or two.

Avoid domestics for reliability. Don't fall into the trap of Cavalier. They are cheap so every kid buys one. With the exception of their first three years in production (82-84) they have consistently had the worst crash ratings in their class. That means that since 1985... 20 years ago, they were the worst. You can do better Avoid higher end imports like BMW, Acura, Infinity, and Lexus. Its not so much that they are prone to failures, its just that if they do fail and you can't handle it yourself, they can be pricey.

The Mistubishis from the 90s had terrible ring seal problems since there was so much back and forth technology from Chrysler, so I would run as fast as I could from that talon. Be realistic. If you want to go fast and do it cheaply, learn to be a mechanic first. You can go fast, but its expensive unless you have your own labor to fix stuff when it breaks. I have four domestic classics and one BMW because I'd rather be greasy than reliable

You can pick up a 1998 Tercel with low miles (like 60k) for an easy $5000. My wife's 97 Tercel just yesterday spec'd out at $4000 on NADA with 80k miles. Don't expect the luxury treatment, but hers has the 14" wheels, a/c, five speed, power steering, cloth seats, floormats, and CD.

My only other suggestion is to take a knowledgable friend along and buy yourself an early 70s GM. Terrible on reliability, but if you get one with a good engine, there is so little to fail. An alternator for my 73 impala costs $23 and its held on by two bolts on the front of the engine. Labor to install it would be about $30. All of the parts are on the shelf at your local shop, instead of needing to be ordered for many imports. Just a thought. I bought a 66 bonneville (http://www.curtisandkim.com/outandabout.jpg ) for $300, spent $75 in parts and ran it for 4 years. Took it to FL from PA. It even got 18 mpgs out of that huge V8. Like I said, just a thought.
curtis73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:21 AM   #5
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

ford Tempos are indestructible
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:19 PM   #6
Mee11
AF Newbie

ford sedans suck, we have a 93' and its crap. to answer your question, no it doesnt matter if your daily driver is a fast car. I would think that that Talon isn't a bad car. Some other suggestions for a reliable and fast daily driver would be definite imports like Toyota Celicas*, or just toyotas in general, and Mitsubishi's, and Nissans...
Mee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 10:55 PM   #7
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

I used to drive a 2000 Ford Taurus with mileage in the 50s. Paid $5200, 7 months later sold for $4700. In those that fairly short amount of time, I only had to put oil, gas and a serpentine belt ($20, did it myself). Very reliable, good for highway driving, since it doesn't run high rpms, at 80 mine was running 2600. The only thing that would hold me back from having a small 4 banger as a daily driver are the rpms. I have a 91 CRX, at 80 it runs 4000 rpms. I liked my Taurus.
clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:20 AM   #8
SUPERMANG
AF Newbie

Re: Re: good daily driver that's cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
ford Tempos are easily destructible and unreliable
I think thats what you meant to say.
SUPERMANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:27 AM   #9
drdisque