Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #166
Interceptor1955
AF Newbie

Re: 1/8 Porsche 935/78 'Moby Dick'

As always great progress on the build SB. I like it very much.
To you also all the best for 2013 but above all a good health.
Have a Happy New Year.

Mark
Interceptor1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #167
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
unbelievable work SB -
please take some time and have a merry Christmas
John
Now it's time for New Year's
Amazing what you can do in such little time
Happy New Year's 2013 SB
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:18 AM   #168
adkg
AF Newbie

After the 908 Your work on the 935 is amazing, You make me start on scratchbuilding also but on a smaller scale. I will follow your work in 2013 . So Happy 2013
adkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #169
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Wow, I missed a couple of updates, but you are just going great guns! Fantastic progress on a difficult subject!

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #170
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello everyone,

So, with the rear suspension under control I wanted to make a start this week on the front end. Although the 935-78 chassis and bodywork is heavily modified compared to a standard 911 of the period, the suspension layout at both ends is not so different. Instead of a double-wishbone arrangement as on the 917 or 908, the 935 has a single lower wishbone and a front strut - new territory for my modelling! First step was to put together a basic layout drawing:

My initial worry was that there wouldn't be enough room between the tyre and the frame to squeeze in the strut, but this layout proves that it should work - the strut stands quite upright. The next step was to make a basic corner from styrene tube to prove the concept - I wanted to use the RC balljoints for the bottom pivot, and if possible at the top too. I've added a simple spring collar half-way up the strut, and used the upper spring platform to conceal the top balljoint:

In reality the top of the strut should be attached by a fabricated bracket welded to the frame, but as I will struggle to make this strong enough in styrene I want to use the balljoint instead - the bracket will (hopefully) not be a structural element, although it will still be modelled and detailed. Here's the strut in position on the frame:

I've started playing around with the mounting brackets for the lower wishbone - nothing too special, but I want to make sure they end up in the right place and at the right angle! I have to remember to allow room for the pipework connecting to the front rads to run below the level of the pick-ups, too. The wishbone itself is low-priority - it'll be similar to what I did on the 908, but with some tweaks and extra detailing.

With the strut in the right place, the final step is to work out how to attach the hub and wheel. Again, the real 935 uses a separate lower hub section which is clamped onto the bottom end of the strut - the trick will be to make something which looks right, but has the strength to stay in one piece. This is all a bit rough for now - very much a prototype - but I'm experimenting with three sizes of tube to create the basic hub, which will be slid over the lower strut:

The small spigot on the side is drilled through all three layers and should give me a strong mounting for the stub-axle. I'll probably be using capscrews for these again, but this time I want to make them look a little more realistic. The small piece of larger diameter tube on the left will fit over the head of the capscrew and give me a starting point for the brake caliper mountings, etc. All of this will need a great deal of detailing and refinement for the final versions, but for now it confirms that I can get all the parts I need in the right places!

So, I'll be working on this through the week to come, and hopefully the next update should show some of the results. I'm certainly planning to include some form of internal brass or ali reinforcement for the front struts, rather than simply relying on the strength of the styrene tube. A mock-up brake disc could be useful too...

All the best,

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #171
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

I go on thinking that pink hand is a silycon fake one and u are a CNC machine with a virus making such models to invite all of us to suicide...

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #172
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Heh - you only ever see my left hand in the photos, as you've got the right hand in that bag! Give it back!
The Following User Says Thank You to ScratchBuilt For This Useful Post:
lovegt40 (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #173
gp-models
AF Regular

One thing i wonder is, how much time do you invest for references? see much details, but i`d like to know from where you have all the references???
Is a real car standing beside your homedoor??
gp-models is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #174
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

To date I have never seen a 935-78 in the flesh, so I'm reliant on books and online sources for all my references. Since I started scratchbuilding my first 917 in 2004 I've slowly been collecting Porsche-related books (and a few magazines, of course), so I've built up my library - there's not many titles that are specifically 935, but the Moby Dick usually gets a mention. Of course, the photos on the Freisinger website are invaluable and so these are my main reference for this project...

...but a real 935-78 to take measurements from would be nice, if you have one!

SB
Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #175
puffyrs
AF Regular

Another great update. Keep them coming.
puffyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #176
gp-models
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchBuilt View Post
To date I have never seen a 935-78 in the flesh, so I'm reliant on books and online sources for all my references. Since I started scratchbuilding my first 917 in 2004 I've slowly been collecting Porsche-related books (and a few magazines, of course), so I've built up my library - there's not many titles that are specifically 935, but the Moby Dick usually gets a mention. Of course, the photos on the Freisinger website are invaluable and so these are my main reference for this project...

SB
Than ks for notice, but unfortunately i have no 935 in my garage to give you exact mesurements.
I think it is a real hard way to go by without any mesurements, if this is the right word^^. I did 3 weeks mesurements until i had enough for my Bitter CD, and this was a closed 1:43!
I like the way you model, exapt one point: the painting! Sorry, but to me as professional car painter, it is one of the first points: the painting!
have you ever tried an airbrush gun or something like these? I think you will get a much more better result by spraying all with an air gun.
I know you`re allways paint it by brush, but i guess your model will become a professional touch with a pinture that is done by professionals
I don`t want to touch your skills down, but this is a major point in my eyes to a model!
How much time do you invest in your builds? I Put sometimes 50% of the building time into research, that bore`s a littel, but to go by like you, i think it will take me less than 300 hours o nly for research!
great job at all, like your updates
Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #177
gp-models
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp-models View Post
Than ks for notice, but unfortunately i have no 935 in my garage to give you exact mesurements.
I think it is a real hard way to go by without any mesurements, if this is the right word^^. I did 3 weeks mesurements until i had enough for my Bitter CD, and this was a closed 1:43!
I like the way you model, exapt one point: the painting! Sorry, but to me as professional car painter, it is one of the first points: the painting!
have you ever tried an airbrush gun or something like these? I think you will get a much more better result by spraying all with an air gun.
I know you`re allways paint it by brush, but i guess your model will become a professional touch with a pinture that is done by professionals
I don`t want to touch your skills down, but this is a major point in my eyes to a model!
How much time do you invest in your builds? I Put sometimes 50% of the building time into research, that bore`s a littel, but to go by like you, i think it will take me less than 300 hours o nly for research!
great job at all, like your updates
Edit: sorry for my bad english, but i pasted this questions only to bore you
Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #178
gp-models
AF Regular

sorry for double posting, this was not my intention
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #179
Interceptor1955
AF Newbie

WOW

Mark
Interceptor1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #180
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchBuilt View Post

SB
Sb where can I see this 917? I like a lot also such one. will be another dream done by you in 1/8...

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote