Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Discovery | LR3 | LR4
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
jeff.ebel
AF Newbie

Advice/recommendations please

Good day and happy holidays......

I am considering purchasing a 2005 LR3 and wanted to get other LR opinions, experiences and advice. I guess the first thing first. As what I know it is a 2005 LR3 that has just about everything. Heated front and back outer seats, upgraded headlights, Gps, Basically the dealer says it has everything the HSE has with the exception of 19" wheels and the outer running boards. I test drove the said vehicle but only a short run. Everything seemed to run good but I don't have the knowledge alot do. What are some of your guys opinions, suggestions on things to look for and look out for?
jeff.ebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Advice/recommendations please

Although these are nice vehicles to drive, unless you really know what you are getting into, I suggest to run away, run fast and run far. Don't buy these vehicles unless you have a really good dealer nearby and you have deep pockets.

Newer Land Rovers are expensive to keep running and are often problematic. Parts are expensive, and good servicing is fairly difficult to find. Most used car buyers know this, so these trucks are difficult to sell used. They depreciate very quickly. Therefore, they look quite attractive to buy used because they are cheap luxury SUV that perform well when they are actually working properly.

But beware. If you are buying used simply because money is tight and you are on a budget, do not get one of these.
(BTW the Mercedes ML-series, especially the older ones suffer from the same scenario)

One of our most knowlegable contributors, who runs a high-end auto repair shop says this to say about this issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73 View Post
Do not become tempted by the affordable prices on Land Rovers. There is a reason the pricing is too good to be true. We just bought a Freelander with 60k on the odometer for $1200, and we might make our money back after we install its third engine and second transmission.... in 60k miles. Many parts are only available from Rover. Today I just priced a CV joint for that Freelander at $640 wholesale, $780 retail. Considering we just paid $1200 for the vehicle, it was like salt in a wound. Nothing is worse than a worthless vehicle for which one part adds 50% to your investment.
It's from this thread, which may be an interesting read:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...16#post6068816
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Discovery | LR3 | LR4