Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
csmith89
AF Newbie

Exclamation 95 gmc jimmy shuts off while driving!!!!!

Ok I have had this car for two years. It has over 260000 miles on it and I have done quite a bit to it, but I am stuck now. Within the two years I have had it, I have replaced the starter, water pump, belts, a freeze plug (wierd), battery, alternater, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, coil pack, and now I am wondering if it is worth replacing anything else. It runs rough and shuts off especially if I come to a red light and stop, but if I throw it in nuetral it is not as bad and doesnt shut off. Just the other day I was sitting at a red light with the car in nuetral and when light turned green I put it in drive hit the gas and it just shut off... I tried to start it and it sounded like it was trying to start but wouldnt then sounded like the battery was dying from trying to start it so we tried jumping it with two different vehicles and did not work. Bought a new battery and that got me half way home and shut off again. Charged the battery put it back in car and got me rest of the way home. When it shut off i was pressing the gas and the rpms dropped all the way down then all my gages lit up. and before this maybe a few days before, i was sittin in a drive through and i had it in nuetral and it reved up by itself i didnt press the gas. This car really scares the sh*t out of me and I want to fix it but dont know what else to fix... Please help
csmith89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 95 gmc jimmy shuts off while driving!!!!!

Which engine?

Have you ever replaced fuel filter?

Does check engine light come on?

Have you checked for any codes?

Have you checked volatage at battery while running to see if alternator is charging with a voltmeter? Since you had to charge new battery to get home I would start with this to make sure alternator is working. You should have 13.5 to 14.5 volts while running.

Clean throttle body and MAF sensor.

Condition of air filter.

Check fuel pressure with fuel pressure gauge?

What kind of gas mileage are you getting? Has it changed of late?
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
csmith89
AF Newbie

v6 vortec 4.3l i replaced fuel filter, check engine light only comes on after car shuts off, i cant take it anywhere to get the codes read yet im thinking about purchasing code reader but not sure which one i need, battery operates at 14, dont know pressure of fuel, i have a pretty bad oil leak on the engine oil lines that might have gunked something up from splashing around, i dont know if that could make it shut off or not, throttle body is clean, gas mileage has been about the same as when i first got it.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Check your fuel pressure, best if you could leave the fuel pressure tester hooked up and drive 20-30 minutes observing fuel pressure. Sounds to me like the fuel pump is heating up and loosing it pressure when warm. Do a search using fuel pressure test and you should find a procedure by MT-2500 that is a excellent procedure to follow. Post readings.

Some 95's have the OBDII system but if you have the OBDI system here is a link for the diagnostic terminal picture:

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...eterminals.jpg

Jump terminal A & B with ignition switch off, once jumpered turn ignition switch to run without starting engine. Check engine light should flash, pause flash flash meaning code 12. Each code present will flash 3 times then move on to next code. Post codes.

Hope this helps

Last edited by tempfixit; 01-29-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
csmith89
AF Newbie

fuel pressure is fine im thinking the oil pressure swith or something to do with the oil pressure is messed up because everything i read says low oil pressure causes system to shut down. My oil cooling lines have had a worsening leak for a while and im thinking all the fluctuation from low and high pressure could have screwed something up. What do u think? I couldnt get any codes either i got it to auto zone and they couldnt get anything out of it
Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Do you know if it is a OBDI or OBDII system? Not being able to get any codes makes me believe it is a ECM or PCM problem.

When you changed the battery with a new one did it start right away?

Explain the oil pressure flucuating more>

How much oil loss is there? How many miles to quart of oil.

To my knowledge there are not any exterior oil cooling lines for the engine. There are oil cooling lines for the transmission going from tranny to radiator transmisssion cooler.

I am going to look at a schematic for the oil pressure sensor and see if I can fiqure out anything.

Possible Idle Air Control sensor is faulty, Throttle position sensor another possiblity. When it does run and you are driving (Not at idle) how do this engine run?

ANother thing to try is removing the upstream oxygen sensor (the one before the catalytic converter and see if that makes a difference in operation, if it does you have a clogged catalytic converter.

Not being able to retrieve any codes is puzzling..

Try posting your problem under the Blazer forum also, possibly somerone there will have some input.

Have you done a compression test?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
duke350
AF Regular

I just wanted to add, some 95's have OBD1 with an OBD II connector under the dash. If yours is one of these types autozone cannot read it. There is a way to get the codes posted here somewhere.
You never posted back about the alt readings. Have you verified the alt is good?
Have you checked the EGR valve yet? They are known to carbon up on these engines. If you remove it to check it out it is worth the extra cash to put a screened gasket in it.
The oil cooler lines shouldn't have affected anything. If you replace them get the Dorman lines, they are of better quality and will last longer then stock. I got mine on Ebay for $7.00 shipped.
duke350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
csmith89
AF Newbie

i do not know if it is obdI or obdII. the ecm fuses were all good when we took them out there was 12 v in fuse and put them back in and everything worked. when it runs it runs great! i love this car i got dual exhaust and tinted windows for my bday. i only paid 700 dollars for it and it has lasted me two years. the alternator is fine. it did start right up when we put a new battery in it, but i dont think we needed either battery or alternator i think it just had to sit for a while to start because i start it and it runs for a little while them shuts off and wont start again for another couple hours sometimes sooner. when i tried to show someone what it was doing, i took it for a drive and it shut off, but this time it started right back up then on way home it shut off and wouldnt start back up. the oil pressure is really what im thinking is the problem because it has had a bad leak for a while and when i would come to a stop sign or red light it would shut off in drive when oil pressure would go down and check gages would come on so i was putting it in nuetral and tapping the gas to keep oil pressure up. I was driving it like this for almost a year and it finally shut off and wouldnt start back up. i wanted to just replace the pressure switch and see what that did but i cant find it!!! I dont know what egr valve is..... sorry. i lose about 1qt if i drive say 25-35 miles, but it wont last that long now..... i went to autozone.com and they have the lines as engine oil lines and there is pictures one is upper and one is the lower it looks to me like they both are leaking and oil is just about covering everything in my under carrage.. what is a compression test? i havent messed with sensor for catalac converter but i will the next time im with my car its sittin at my moms and i wanted to go there today, but i have no car and i lost my phone so i cant call anyone to take me over there, but i will keep replying when i do what everyone tells me to.... thank you everyone!!! and i had the old battery and alternator tested when i took them out the guy at autozone said they passed BUT they could still be bad. wtf is that!!!! I hope i gave enough info. i dont want another car, i want this one to work! thanks again!!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
csmith89
AF Newbie

just wanted to add that my chech engine light only comes on after car has shut off while driving
Old 02-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Go to autozone.com, they have a online service manual for your vehicle. Go to Repair Info, then compotent locations and it will give you a description of the EGR and oil switch locations which will help you. Also go to the parts section and look up EGR and oil pressure switch to see what they look like.

Next time it quites running take a rubber mallet hammer or a 2x4 and hit the gas tank to see if that jars the fuel pump ao it will run again, if it does then you need to replace fuel pump, if so use Delphi or AC Delco pump only and also change the electrical pigtail for the pump. Fuel pumps will get hot and lock up and sometimes once cooled off will operate again. Fuel pumps are expensive so you want to make sure it is faulty before replacing and they are in the gas tank.

Get yourself a Haynes Repair Manual for your vehicle about $20.00 at a autoparts store, it will help you.

Compression test is testing of all the cylinder for compression which if there is none or low compression engine will not start or run poorly. You need a compression tester gauge for this also. You need to remove fuel pump fuse and all spark plugs when doing this.

I believe your problem is fuel related. You need to get a fuel pressure test with a gauge to determine if fuel pump is operating at correct psi. If not you will have no start, poor engine performance problems.

If you are loosing that much oil you could very well be right that the oil pressure has something to do with the problem. I am thinking that when at idle the oil pressure drops because of the leaks causing the system to shut down. Replace the hoses then hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see what your actual oil pressure is. Also your oil pressure switch could be faulty and shutting sown system.

I am throwing a lot of things at you but if you need better descriptions let us know and we will help you.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
csmith89
AF Newbie

ok i am going to get the oil lines today before i go to school, so i will check on the gages i need to test compression and pressure. i did buy a haynes book and it helped, thats where i read about oil pressure switch but it did not have a picture or location so i went on autozone and they had pictures and explained the location, but im a little confused, do you know if there is two switches or just one oil pressure switch?? the picture i got, is what i see under hood, but it is not where it is supposed to be, it looks like there is one on both sides of block....... could that be?? i didnt read anything about having two switches.... and i believe the fuel pump is ok i hear it come on and took fuel filter off and let fuel run through other side to make sure filter wasnt clogged and it pumped gas, but it will not run long enough to get up to temperature so im thinking its those lines and or switches..... im going to replace those lines only 22.99 and in stock (no waiting) so i should be letting you know what happens in a few days, but if you know anything about that or those oil pressure switches that would take away a lot of confusion!!! thanks again
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Once you have oil lines on check oil pressre.

Just because you hear the fuel pump does not mean it is operating to specs. You should have 9-13 psi.

Next I would check the EGR Valve like duke350 suggested because could affect the idling problem which is what seems to happen at stop lights, it idles to low affecting oil pressure and all other functions.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #13
csmith89
AF Newbie

ok i will. i picked oil lines up yesterday along with the oil pressure switch. i found where it is on my car and man that was a pain. finally got it on and it was dark so im doing oil lines today...... hopefully everything goes smoothly. ill let you know what happens....
Old 02-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
duke350
AF Regular

Taken from the Service manual.

Fuel Pump Oil Pressure Switch (Back-Up Circuit)
To test fuel pump oil pressure back-up circuit, start engine. With engine running, disconnect fuel pump relay. If engine stalls, fuel pump oil pressure switch is faulty. If vehicle continues to run, switch is okay.

Also, fuel pressure is different depending on what engine you have. I may have missed it, but I did not see if you said you had a "Z" or a "W" engine. On a 95 fuel pressure is posted as 55-61 psi for a W engine and 9-13 psi for a Z engine. Buy, rent or borrow a gauge and check it out. Leave it hooked up while driving and see what it does when the car acts up.
duke350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
csmith89
AF Newbie

oil lines were not that bad to put on and extremely easy to take off. but while trying to replace pressure switch, the distributor cap turned..... now i need a timing light or i might just tow it to a friend and have him do it because that is a very precise fix. so once i fix that i will check everything and post what i get out of it thank you again!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy