Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
cheeks040
AF Newbie

P0300 Random misfire code. 2001 Olds Aurora 4.0

Hello, I have a stumper? 2001 Olds Aurora 4.0 (V8) 111,000 miles

Flashing engine light. I got this flashing light back on January 16th 2009. Received the light after I installed a new battery. Old battery died due to the arctic temps up here in good ole Minnesota. Anyways, I kept driving the car, becuae before this all started I had a check engine light on for about a year due to an EVAP code.

In early February I decided to get the cars code read just because I just felt it should be done. Found out that on top of the EVAP code, I now had a P0300 random misfire code? A friend of mine and I replaced the plugs with AC Delco platinums, (qty 8). Cleaned the coil posts off which were a bit corroded, but not bad. Car is running fine like it has been all this time. No sign of loss of power, no rough idle, no jerking yet? Had a mechanic hook up his computer to it last week, and he could see that cylinders 5 and 8 were having a slight misfire. He asked if I replaced the boots, which I didnt. He told me to replace the boots and come back to see him if it was still and issue. Last night just got done replacing all 8 boots with new Ac Delco boots to match the plugs. Light is still flashing? I am getting concerned. I just want to catch the problem before it gets real bad. I still drive the car and have mechanics take it out for a spin. So far they cant tell of any misfire happening? I am hoping somebody can shed some light on this nightmare just waiting to happen.

Thank you in advance.
Sean
cheeks040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
nicklcc
AF Newbie

Re: P0300 Random misfire code. 2001 Olds Aurora 4.0

Hi sean. my 01 aurora's slew of problems all started out like that. It's shame really because its a nice looking car sitting in my drive way DEAD. it all started out with misfires and such. found out the valve cover gaskets had been leaking oil into the plug wells. Replaced plugs and boots but not the gaskets. eventually it happened again but also taking the catalytic converter and O2 sensors with it.went cheap and replaced with universal cat new plugs again.now i have high idle problems and every other code in the book throwing up but still drove fine just high idle. like a tard i did nothing about it for 2 years. Now i sit here with an 01 aurora i paid 10 grand for 4 years ago sitting not driveable. finally the water pump went forcing me to take it off the road. so now i have : valve cover gaskets,plugs,sensors,water pump(hopefully not head gasket too) leaking power steering pump,no power windows, i could go on and on. the point is dont keep neglecting it and dish out cash to someone that can fix if if your too lazy like me. you will be much happier this way.

good luck
nicklcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
cheeks040
AF Newbie

Alright, I went to have the car looked at by my local mechanic. He diagnosed the probelm as being 2 bad coil packs on each side of the engine. I am going to purchase new coil packs. Should I get the Ac Delco coil packs, since it seems that everyhting on the car should be Ac Delco? Or should I look at something that is aftermarket? I juat want the problem to be remedied. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sean
cheeks040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
jdmurphy87
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeks040 View Post
Alright, I went to have the car looked at by my local mechanic. He diagnosed the probelm as being 2 bad coil packs on each side of the engine. I am going to purchase new coil packs. Should I get the Ac Delco coil packs, since it seems that everyhting on the car should be Ac Delco? Or should I look at something that is aftermarket? I juat want the problem to be remedied. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sean
got the same problem here with missfires on both banks only replaced one coil cuz i was in doubt with it being the coils. After replacing the one coil, it still had missfires on that bank id say save ur money those coils are expensive and not garanteed to work
jdmurphy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
jdmurphy87
AF Newbie

I have a 2001 olds aurora 4.0 that has a p0300 code and light flashes at times. Replaced the plugs and boots with ac delco. Code was still there so i suspected a coil issue. Replaced the coil on bank 2 and still have the light and code. Cyls 5 and 8 are missing at idle but not on accel. Cyls 2 and 3 missing on accel, and if i hold the revs at 3000 the light goes off and stays off. Car runs great with no hessitation or lag but has a slight shake at idle from the miss. Any ideas or tips please contact me asap
jdmurphy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
ghutchin
AF Regular

How do you know which cylinders numbers are missing under acceleration? Sounds weird. Maybe its the ICM, although I wouldn't go randomly replacing it.
ghutchin is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora